Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > New 8-bit TV-computer
2009-10-28 22:07
8bitforever
Account closed

New 8-bit TV-computer

A Commodore 64 competitor has arrived again. :-)

Has anyone some experience with the "Educational computer" or "8-bit TV-computer" or "Victor-70" or Famicom ?
All names above are names for the same computer.

It´s based on the 6502 processor.
It can play NES cartridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSLZ-x-GxM
http://www.itexaminer.com/12-indian-computers-tip-up-in-silicon..
http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPP1
http://playpower.org

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-12 14:19
Stingray
Account closed

Taper: I grabed it out of the cupboard on took a couple photos :)

As for the control pads, yeh I never did try them in a C64, there pretty dodgy and the cables are only about half a meter long. I have a couple of Mega Drive controlers and I think im going to buy a couple of the 64JPX adaptors from Nicholas Coplin at 64hdd, has anybody else used these adaptors before?
2009-11-27 10:58
Stingray
Account closed

I got the 64JPX adaptors and a couple of NEW Sega Mega Drive controllers. Very, very happy with these adaptors. These adaptors also have special modes, should be good for Wizzball etc. The extra port on the side of the adaptor is so you can have a mouse connected at the same time as the controllers.

When I purchased the adaptors I asked Nick if they will work with some Wireless controllers that I already had, he wasn't sure. After being very pleased with the adaptors being used with the Mega Drive controllers I connected my Wireless Controllers, worked brilliantly, very very happy. Finally I have wireless controllers on my 64 :)
2009-11-29 12:11
morphfrog

Another site where you have NES clones are www.dealextreme.com a china based store witch have free shipping around the world.

And the customs haven't checked the stuff I have ordered form there yet :-)
2009-11-29 12:57
linde

There are also pretty sweet Mega Drive clones floating around. On DealExtreme I bought a joypad with an SD card interface that lets me play most mega drive games (with some glitches and mono sound of course). With all the complaints people have about famiclones, I don't think they are as accurate as these.
2009-11-30 07:50
Twoflower

I've been concidering one of those sweet double (or triple) function console clones like the Retro Duo (SNES+NES) or the Yobo FC 3 (SNES+Megadrive+NES). I guess that the NES-clone is the weak point in the bundles. Anybody got any experience with these? Save for those, one of those new handheld NES-clones would be swell too.
2009-11-30 08:24
Frantic

@Stingray (or someone else): Why would you need some sort of adapters to connect megadrive controllers to a C64? As far as I remember, they work anyway, without adapters?
2009-11-30 10:00
xaMpi
Account closed

@stingray
Your setup looks very nice!
2009-12-08 13:29
Stingray
Account closed

@xaMpi

@Frantic
The wireless controllers in the photo will not work at all without the adaptors.

The adaptors also provide functions for some of the other buttons on the controller, most importaintly the waddle button, this works well when using a control pad to play games like Wizzball.

When you have a Mega Drive controller pluged into the C64 any typing you do will be screwed up, but not if you use the adaptors, you can type no problem plus you could also have a mouse connected at the same time.

Some PPL say using the Mega Drive controllers without diodes in CCT can damage your CIA.

Also, it may just be me, but when I have had Mega Drive controllers connected directly to the C64 the fire buttons have been a bit dodgey (as in doesn't always seem to work).
2009-12-08 15:25
taper

As Stingray says, Megadrive/genesis joypads used on a c64 is rumoured to be hazarous for your 6526 chips. The keyboard does indeed fuck up when a MD joypad is plugged in. However, I'm yet to hear anyone who can actually confirm having blown a CIA by using an MD joypad. Still, I would for sure not risc it, 6526 is sensitive enough as it is. However, Mastersystem joypads are safe to use. I've been using one for several years.

About the "NES-in-a-chip" chip (hehe), it's not as bad as some make it seem here. Out of my carts I think I only found one that it couldn't take (Castelvania III if I remember correctly). Sure, some games do glitch, but to be honest, some games glitch on an original NES too, so... ;)
Not saying it's better than the real deal, but it's totally accaptable.
2009-12-09 08:50
Twoflower

Well - first of all, the sound is kind of borked on the NES-clones. I believe it has something to with the volume-levels of the different channels. Follin-stuff does f.ex never sound as booming and crisp as it does on the original.

Save for Castlevania III (I doubt any MMC5 game works) - Mach Rider and Slalom doesn't work on my clones and neither does that awesome firefighter game and some other oldies. But it's nice that it weighs nothing.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
icon/The Silents, Sp..
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
Andy/AEG
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
O'Dog
theK/ATL