Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Green Beret - Is any interested in..
2010-07-31 17:06
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Green Beret - Is any interested in..

Is anyone interested in making a new version / conversion for the C64, as I am sure it can be done better than the original official Imagine release. The Imagine release was impressive especially the Audio which could be re-used, or conversed to use less raster time, although the graphics, and some of the playability could be much improved.

Ideas:
If the game were based on disk / cartridge, I thought it would make sense to load each level during the interlude screens.

With the extra memory, maybe it would be possible to use hires overlays on the sprites.

If the score were placed in the upper border, the playing area could be increased, to match that / be similar to that of the Arcade version.

... 55 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-08-02 23:44
algorithm

Quote: well in all fairness the "arcade" sprite was just a de-res and auto recolour.

he could be retouched to something like this:

which is a quick lash up based on a cross between the arcade version posted and the late Joffa Smiths Spectrum version. whose sprites are admittedly closer to the arcade than the c64 ones.

anyway it does give a more "beefy" impression than the c64 ones.

Steve

Now that looks great for a multicolor sprite. Perhaps interlaced sprites would be ok like i may have mentioned before. Flicker would not be that bad if similar intensities are mixed and would allow more players on screen etc
2010-08-02 23:51
JCB
Account closed

Quote: Now that looks great for a multicolor sprite. Perhaps interlaced sprites would be ok like i may have mentioned before. Flicker would not be that bad if similar intensities are mixed and would allow more players on screen etc

How would you envisage utilising interlaced sprites? If you're flickering between 2 different sprites how would you design all the graphics? They could be anywhere on the screen over any part of the background so which intensities would produce less flicker? I can understand it working ok with a bitmap where the adjacent pixels being similar intensity would reduce flicker between the 2 frames but not free moving sprites with unknown colours.

Personally I'd much rather see something like this ported to C64. It started out as a Green Beret ripoff from what Ste tells me and he's still got all the graphics ;)

Pete
2010-08-03 07:14
algorithm

the two sprites which produce the image would be offset 1 hirespixel, hence would be designed (or converted) same was as those mcol lace pics etc. they can be moved anywhere on screen. Yes would be nightmare to draw from scratch, but can be converted to this type of mode
2010-08-03 08:02
JCB
Account closed

Quote: the two sprites which produce the image would be offset 1 hirespixel, hence would be designed (or converted) same was as those mcol lace pics etc. they can be moved anywhere on screen. Yes would be nightmare to draw from scratch, but can be converted to this type of mode

I see what you're getting at now ;) When you said it would allow more players on screen I thought you meant more than there currently are but instead you're trying to enhance the resolution and just mean more than if they were hires overlaid?

Pete
2010-08-03 10:20
NecroPolo

The effort of making the re-make is fully respectable.

If I may suggest, with this combined effort and attention on details, you would surely be able to create a vastly improved Green Beret II instead of Green Beret I re-make ;)
2010-08-03 15:43
chatGPZ

yeah, now turn the babble into code =P
2010-08-03 16:31
iAN CooG

while at it also Prince of Persia port, kthx!
2010-08-03 16:59
Carlos
Account closed

Quote: The effort of making the re-make is fully respectable.

If I may suggest, with this combined effort and attention on details, you would surely be able to create a vastly improved Green Beret II instead of Green Beret I re-make ;)

yeah, i also think is a better idea to make a new 'green beret inspired' game than a remake of an existing one...
2010-08-03 17:03
STE'86

well as u well know the POP sprites are done and dusted so any time u want to supply me with an email Ian then u can have a crack at it yourself.

or are u only up for sniping?

Steve
2010-08-03 21:02
algorithm

Quote: I see what you're getting at now ;) When you said it would allow more players on screen I thought you meant more than there currently are but instead you're trying to enhance the resolution and just mean more than if they were hires overlaid?

Pete

Well. it also increases the amount of 'players' per line as there is no need for each character to use two sprites (overlaid on each other) 'blocky' max 8 sprites per line and with the interlace treatment. Ofcourse sprites will use twice the ram but no problem for a disk loader
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
bugjam
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
E$G/HF ⭐ 7
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
acrouzet/G★P
Guests online: 64