Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > all the magic just goes away
2010-01-07 21:25
Carrion

all the magic just goes away

with this video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI
I was hoping somehow that Liam/The Prodigy does the sounds himself.
But know all my religion is wasted...

It's somehow like with Timanthes... You never know what is converted and what is origianl - right ? ;)

... 34 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-01-11 18:32
chancer

Quote: probably there was a reason that prodigy made it and not the others. ...and that was not marketing, marketing does not make good music, prodigy does.

it gets really silly, just like when people try to claim amiga/atari (8bit)/speccy failed bcoz of marketing...

thats the whole point.. it WAS marketing.. I grew up in the area this "sound" was kicking off in , know some of the pioneers... if your telling me ya know of know of prodigy's first album and not other labels

e.g. shut up and dance.. warrior dance was once I was visiting when I was 17 , so 20 years ago.. they were doing the "prodigy" sound LONG before prodigy were..

just because they aren't well known out of london / UK then thats part of it.

fast forward to that punk electro sound.. well yer liam listed to the pistols etc.. but go listen to the edgier tech step sound etc. also..

Liam did get lucky with the song Charley.. he knows how to crate dig , his engineering is good, but others were better at the time. i.e. what they did with the equipment (samplers) and not just the sound aspect.

If you were in London in 88 / 89 then cool, but not some 3rd party "rose tinted glasses" version that got told later.
2010-01-11 18:46
PAL

Some year ago or so I posted here on this forum that everyone steals and borrows and that Rob Hubbard were a great prove to this. A lot told me that I were a fool stating something like this... well... were I? To me it is cool that he used the tunes and melodies and inspirations he did because of that he made it special for me in my little life. It is about creating really fun projects for oneself to be occupied in, that is the whole point with life I guess. If it is dull and no fun what is the point then? What is fun for one is fun for him even others think it is really horrible to do so...

About that prodigy thing... I think that tune they released there were so cool, and with the video to it it were just one of the coolest things that year... Thumbs up... even now when I see all that sample thingys I think it were almost even more splendid show of creative force, and man, maybe one dude played around with different samples and created that, how cool is that? Very cool I think! We all do the copycat thing in a way or another I guess... on a level we all do it... Sampler scanner photo painting poster sound use of elements or inspiration, a feeling something gave me, a mood, a moment, a style or what... where do one draw the line? Where is it taken from something else? Where is the bar for where it is original or not, creative or not? I do not know!

2010-01-11 19:09
Frantic

Couldn't help wondering if PAL has reflected upon the fact that a substantial number of people here are/was pirates/crackers/swappers etc. It is not like stealing stuff is never heard of, or so. :)

No offence, PAL (of Offence. ;) Just had to point it out.
2010-01-11 19:25
PAL

I have often reflected upon the fact that a substantial number of people here are/was pirates/crackers/swappers etc. and it is so strange to me the harsh words often stated here... magic all gone my arse!
2010-01-12 10:14
Stainless Steel

Aw christ stop it with all the envy-laden bullshit talk "Liam is a talentless hack because he got rich and famous and i failed" its really getting stale. Get over it already.

2010-01-12 11:14
Jazzcat

DeeKay: huh! completely forgot about that stuff I sent you. Must have been 15 years ago or so?

My favourite tripping track of early Prodigy is "Weather Experiment". That really takes me places!
2010-01-12 12:55
Hate Bush

(Oswald wrote: the "original" is 2 lines from a sucky boring reggae)

it's a genre-defining song, overclassic, dude. you don't have to like it but show some respect at least for chrissakes :)
2010-01-12 13:55
chatGPZ

"it's a genre-defining song, overclassic, dude. you don't have to like it but show some respect at least for chrissakes :)"
i should have edited it into "dutch breeze sucks" or sth =P
2010-01-12 17:21
Stainless Steel

Hey, dutch breeze did suck. big time.
2010-01-12 18:40
Oswald

Quote: (Oswald wrote: the "original" is 2 lines from a sucky boring reggae)

it's a genre-defining song, overclassic, dude. you don't have to like it but show some respect at least for chrissakes :)

I did not know. also obviously its an overreacted reply :P my apologies :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
v3nt0r/ibex-crew
Inge/HVSC
jmin/F4CG
Lord Crucifier/SCS*TRC
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Fred/Channel 4