Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Introducing Tri-Lace
2010-01-04 02:20
algorithm

Introducing Tri-Lace

Coming soon..

Yes, It does flicker but this is reduced somewhat with interleaving of fields (as well as not mixing combo's which produce high flicker.) This gives a shimmer effect.

Each 8x8 block can have up to 8 mix colors. Image above utilises non brute force and partial flicker reduction (with hand selected color combo's.) Still optimising the routine. (Brute force takes over 8 hours!) but managed to reduce it down to around 2.

Non interleaving allows full 320x200 view with virtually no CPU usage (but looks horrendous on non stable refresh displays)

Using new compiler (Now can build x86/x64 linux /windows executables

As far as i am aware, there only seems to be one demonstration (which utilises 4 screens - but in petscii). If there are any which use more than two screens for colormixing etc. let me know

... 77 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-01-07 17:42
Lubber

@Deekay: Talking about executables...and talking about your nufli converter....uhm....when will it be released again ? :)
2010-01-07 19:18
LOGAN
Account closed

algorithm did I miss you posting a c64 binary of the example picture? I would have thought you could at least post a binary :)
2010-01-08 03:25
algorithm

Barely anytime to finish the converter. A release is imminent. For the time being, A picture preview of the process (split to layers) and a c64 executable.

Do not under any circumstances try to run it on an emulator. Due to the image breaking up the triple screens into slices, even a slight glitch breaks up the entire picture.

First of all bear in mind the following

The gfx mode here (with example c64 exe) uses plain hires (only 2 colors per 8x8 block. FLI once every two lines etc is possible for a huge boost in quality

The additional deflicker methods are not used in this picture. Utilising chequerboard and blending across frames would reduce flicker dramatically at the expense of definition

The mode is only intended for images with high color variety. Most images would look great (with less flicker in Hi-FLI/MUIFLI/NUIFLI modes

The below is an example shot featuring the original picture, converted preview and the three bitmaps that make up the picture

And the c64 executable here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dd2tnk[url]

Now time for me to go to bed. (Wish me a happy birthday as well :-))
2010-01-08 09:53
enthusi

Running it on 1802 now.
That mon is rather bright (IMHO) even in darkest setting.
So when I almost close my eyes, this example kinda looks nice.
In fact it does not flicker the way I expected but the 'stripes' really bother me. She looks like a movie signal being stopped from VHS player to me.
Not sure what to think of it but Im looking forward for further examples :)

(for the record, I too prefer non-flicker-modes)

PS: Happy Birthday \o/
2010-01-08 14:55
Joe

I like the lines.
Made me think of making the image animate with futher interpolated streemed frames...

Happy birthday!
2010-01-08 15:31
algorithm

The scrolling lines that are seen are because the picture is not broken up and distributed evenly across frames yet. This can either be done via part of the brute force loop or even easier after the image has been processed. Would greatly reduce the flicker.

The luma avoidance values are also more leniant. (eg allows combo of pink+white etc.

This mode in 2Line FLI would increase quality quite a lot (and more similar luma values can be used in each 8x2 section to reduce flicker further) as using similar luma across 8x8 tends to degrade the structure to a considerable extent particularly if the image has high contrast area's

2010-01-08 17:45
Skate

@Joe: Oswald used that idea in a Resource demo and it looked very successful to me. There are some other examples as well. I even used that in a slightly different way for a blur effect in hires mode :)
2010-01-08 20:39
Deev

I agree with Joe, it's actually quite an interesting "effect"!

Happy birthday Algorithm! (same day as Elvis...and an ex-girlfriend of mine!)
2010-01-08 21:09
Oswald

hmm looks much better than expected, I think it could look great if a graphician would invest some time to explore and use it to full potential.
2010-01-09 13:20
Carrion

oswald:
But then we would need an editor or at least some example pallete say for photoshop to use and later convert it co tri-lace :)
I will use it if there's a converter plus the color pallete (i mean all the mixed colors as separate colors) so I could be sure that the color i use in photoshop after conversion is the one i needed.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
Bob/Censor Design
d'Arc/Topaz Beerline
sln.pixelrat
Brix/Plush
syntaxerror