Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Wiring?
2003-06-24 14:44
jailbird

Wiring?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the english I read here is a bit messy for me to understand. Do I smell someone accusing me that I wire, or the opposite?
Quote from the latest Beergarden.

"Personally I'm a beleiver that 'REAL C64' gfx artist should pixel out the whole picture that they draw. Not wire it from Amiga or PC onto C64 then touch it up in an art package and then lay claim to fame on it.To me this is MIGHTY LAME and for these of you reading who don't know what I'm getting at, then just search your spreads for some recent gfx by JAILBIRD. Study his gfx carefully, they look good don't they..? So they should as wiring doesn't require anyway near the work or effort as does pixelling every dot on the C64."

Hope I just missunderstood these lines, but anyhow, proofs about my cheating would be higly appreciated, all the more as I always (unlike other "artists") prove my C64 handpixelling by numerous work stages.
I don't get why was I picked out nevertheless, wether if the author of the article thinks I cheat or not.

Then, you spend countless hours on minor innovations in c64 pixelling, you dedicate original graphics to the audience, whilst NOt COPYing other graphics artists, you fight on every kind of forums for high class fair-play on pixelling-competitions, or for the workstage-rules, and then you get a nice slap on your face. Well thank you.

My motivation is on the floor and my sadness is really deep. :(((

... 42 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-06-24 18:08
T.M.R
Account closed

Well, the English is a little messy, but i'd say it reads something like "have a look at how good Jailbird's pictures are, that's because he put a lot of work in and didn't just wire".
2003-06-24 19:27
Deev

when I read through that chapter, I took it to mean yours were an example of quality hand-pixelled gfx, though I can see reading that quote why it could be taken the other way. Maybe more care should be taken by whoever wrote that text (Tomz?) to make himself clear.
2003-06-25 05:49
Stryyker

They are the words of Tomz, I'm sure if you get to the last page you will see his moniker.
2003-06-25 08:08
Oxidy
Account closed

<quote>To me this is MIGHTY LAME and for these of you reading who don't know what I'm getting at, then just search your spreads for some recent gfx by JAILBIRD. Study his gfx carefully, they look good don't they..? So they should as wiring doesn't require anyway near the work or effort as does pixelling every dot on the C64.</quote>

When reading Beergarden yesterday I came to the same conclusion as Jailbird. I was not 100%, but it felt like the writer meant that Jailbird was wiring. Writing in a language you don't control can cause misunderstandings and I think this is yet another case. Nevertheless, the only person who knows for sure what was meant would be Tomz. If he meant that Jailbird was wiring then JB deserves to know why he thinks that. If not, I think it's appropriate with a official clarification in the next issue.
2003-06-25 10:13
jailbird

How do the average reader (those whose english is not a mother-language) interprets these lines? I think there is only one way:

"Personally I'm a beleiver that 'REAL C64' gfx artist should pixel out the whole picture that they draw. Not wire it from Amiga or PC onto C64 then touch it up in an art package and then lay claim to fame on it."

The author is referring to converting pictures from a mightier platform to C64 and touching it up in a C64 pixel-program... Then, the next sentence is:

"To me this is MIGHTY LAME and for these of you reading who don't know what I'm getting at, then just search your spreads for some recent gfx by JAILBIRD."

My "translation" is: that's lame, and if you wan't to see lame, converted/touched up pictures, check out some graphics by Jailbird.

"Study his gfx carefully, they look good don't they..? So they should as wiring doesn't require anyway near the work or effort as does pixelling every dot on the C64."

Converting doesn't need any effort, thus when you convert and touch-up, it's easy to produce good pictures.

And Tomz concluded this by studying my graphics in a way we're not introduced to.

If the article is after all, positive, why don't he picked someone better than me, f. e. Deekay, Electric or Sander. If his words are negative, a proof that consist just of "studying his graphics carefully" is for me, not enough, nevertheless there are "graphicians" that can be brought up as much finer examples on graphics-converting, f. e. Rayden (or Booze Lee).
The same way Deekay accused Sebaloz (who doesn't wires for sure, that's a bet), Quasar (neither wires, just had a strange tehnique, who after all lost his motivations and as I know, left the scene) and Valsary.
I realy don't have anyhing against Beergarden, it's one of my favourite magazines, but I can't just pass over this kind of writing, wich doesn't differs a lot from "understandable writing" or "investigate journalism" of other magazines that are actually hatred or voted down by Tomz for the same reasons.
2003-06-25 10:43
Stryyker

Jailbird:If you want it to go further and more wide then maybe you could do one? None of us in Tide have much graphics ability and your views on gfx would be taken more seriously.
2003-06-25 10:46
Stryyker

I mean you views would be taken more seriously than ours (in case someone misreads it).
2003-06-25 12:06
T.M.R
Account closed

JB: i can think of a reason why you'd could well be singled out in a positive light; Deekay, Electric and Sander haven't released anything lately...
2003-06-25 12:30
TDJ

Quote: JB: i can think of a reason why you'd could well be singled out in a positive light; Deekay, Electric and Sander haven't released anything lately...

What? Sander hasn't released anything lately?

The lazy bastard .. that's it .. I'm going to look for a new graphician for Focus NOW!
2003-06-25 13:44
T.M.R
Account closed

Well, the last release in the CSDb he's credited for as a member of Focus is Singles Collection volume 1 and that was close to a year ago...? =-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
Worrior1/W1 Producti..
Xidex/7-Inch
KLR/NoName
Icecube/Light
Magic/Nah-Kolor