Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > all the magic just goes away
2010-01-07 21:25
Carrion

all the magic just goes away

with this video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI
I was hoping somehow that Liam/The Prodigy does the sounds himself.
But know all my religion is wasted...

It's somehow like with Timanthes... You never know what is converted and what is origianl - right ? ;)

... 34 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-01-08 01:41
fade
Account closed

Without sounding like a prick, Liam Howlett is a talentless hack, how the hell he can get away with the same bassline for so long is beyond me. Unfortunately you can't even say he uses original samples either. Look at Prodigy's No Good (start the dance), okay the sample is taken from a commercial song from 10 or so years prior to the tune, but about six months before no good was released Liquid Crystal (N.R.G) put out this which was an anthem in the uk (afaik) and australia. I'm not alone in thinking it's not only bad business but playing off the success of another track using the same sample. Here in the .au this tune sparked Prodigy into the mainstream, enfuriating tunespotters and grumpy bum's like me even to this day.

Sorry, but Charly was the only respectable tune they have ever done :/ Dude just samples good bits from underground tunes waaay to much.
2010-01-08 05:32
SIDWAVE
Account closed

I never liked Prodigy.

There was 1000+ more talented MOD composers, cutting up samples, making own sounds, and tracking. A lot more work in a high grade MOD than in any Prodigy track.
2010-01-08 05:54
pvcf

sorry dudes.
if you can reproduce something, doesnt means you can do the same like the inventer.
its the same as you can watch someone plays a nice melody on piano and call him lame by learning the same melody and play this too.
(oh, and dont forget to make a movie of you playing piano)

i could say that no one of the tools exist in 1996, but it doesnt cares! if prodigy takes some pieces and stick it together, a absolut new song and beat shows the light.

its the structure of his music (and massive attack for other example) to use samples. he also have used synthesizers, i keep an eye at him since nearly 15 years, to his gear, to his work, and all what can i say: this guy is the god of beat and actionmusic. he invented a absolut new style.

so, after watching the funny video, i'm very impressed: try to getting out such a great track out of those short sampled wav's.

as always on music: it mostly depends on the melody and rhytmus, not on the instrument and the way its be played!

(btw prodigy is THE master in playing with samples)

2010-01-08 06:48
fade
Account closed

Well i'm going to see Rennie P on saturday night and Prodigy could have 100 years and not even come close to this guy.

Ask Streetuff, Rhythm Section all day. :)
2010-01-08 07:22
pvcf

who is Rennie P ? did i miss something?
2010-01-08 13:49
dalezy

Quote: who is Rennie P ? did i miss something?

wtf! you sure did, especially in the early 90s =)
2010-01-08 14:04
pvcf

omg, at this time i was sitting the whole day on c64 and have composed all the day ;)
thats the bad thing to be an musician, you can't listen music during work ^^
did you have any links/songnames for me regarding rennie P ?
2010-01-08 14:19
DeeKay

Quoting fade
Without sounding like a prick, Liam Howlett is a talentless hack

failed. You do sound like a huge prick! 8)
2010-01-08 14:29
Stainless Steel

Say what you like, but the guy in the video sure knows his shit.
2010-01-08 14:35
chancer

pvcf, how much of the 4hero and reinforced e.g. doc scott , manix etc have you heard?

just curious...thats the whole thing.. prodigy were the poster boys of hardcore back in the day.while NW / west London where I'm from was one of the roots..foremost for Reinforced probably and then production house / kickin etc were also around.

I would say Liam is very good at crate digging and engineering foremost, though. I wouldn't say prodigy were consistantly good though, notice how they have gone back to their hardcore roots on some of their songs? . I do like other people / groups moreso who I feel are more inventive, but hey thats all personal taste.

ok.. in 93 this was released.. when samplers had **** all memories and it was done on an ST..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hv8cdgmMDY&feature=related

yep.. time stretching / pitch shifting.. now, well you can do that easily within seconds.. back then it was a case of effecting a sample.. bouncing it out to DAT, then back into the sampler.

so yep there were plenty more around doing crediable things, just they got known moreso. I guess it's what folk know or are exposed to.. I know Tuffy and a few more, knows some of the older dance tunes.. but I'm sure they had to go looking for them.

the guy in the video knows his stuff.. BUT , it's like me making a recipe from scratch or reading it from a book.. either he had a list of the samples used.. or sussed them.. if you crate dig, well a fair few of them songs are well known and not really obscure. comparing studio stuff from 97 to 2010 is a different matter... what took lots of minutes on an akai sampler, is done in 2 seconds in ableton etc

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fungus/Nostalgia
Worrior1/W1 Producti..
Mason/Unicess
Guests online: 68
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)