Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Bomberland - illegal copy
2014-01-21 21:16
Raf

Bomberland - illegal copy

http://allegro.pl/cartridge-bomberland-c64-i3907160321.html

here you can buy illegal copy of bomberland game, description says "Rom został zakupiony w firmie RGCD i użyty tylko w tym cartridgu ."

it means: "ROM was bought on RGCD and used only in this particular cartridge"

cartridges are sold by this guy: 11111olo

what do you think about it?

photos:
http://www.sendspace.pl/file/pic/1cae9bf5a79045b7ea7f380/view
http://www.sendspace.pl/file/pic/ca50d79db5b29c4ae5439bb/view

rest of cartridges are fake new-old-stock clones of Polish famous cartridge Black Box.

Prince of persia can also be seen - is it okay to sell it?

... 15 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-01-22 13:02
Conrad

Looks as though he uses black carts with a cut-out sticker, where officialy published carts are orange. So at least we can detect which ones are legal or not.
2014-01-22 13:59
Mr. SID

As far as I'm concerned, the C64 version of Prince of Persia is public domain, you can download it right here. It's therefore also ok to sell it, if anyone can make a profit from that, I'm fine with it.
You can already buy EasyFlash cartridges with PoP pre-flashed, there's hardly any difference to this.
2014-01-22 14:40
Stainless Steel

lol
2014-01-22 14:57
Mclane
Account closed

Never made a penny from any of my hacks or cracks on the Atari 8bit, don't believe in it, swapping I have no issue with but making cash out of someone's hard work just tips my morals meter.

Ok swapping someone's work isn't exactly perfect but it happens and always had, thankfully as well as most of the gear would have been long gone instead of archived.

A sad old ex collector of 5 & 1/4 squares things, now just their digital versions.
2014-01-22 15:58
wacek

Quote:
Almost everyone who knows about the game and wants to buy it, will go directly to RGCD homepage, anyway

That's not entirely true, for PL at least. We see an inflood of people that are buying C64s to play games with them, and they are not related to scene (and even not interested in being related to it). They're driven purely by nostalgic reasons. On the most popular auction sites like allegro there is a lot of movement with the 64s nowadays (check: http://allegro.pl/stare-komputery-commodore-77930). Same goes for forums and retro-gaming events.

Now, our worry (I think I can speak also for Raf here) is that those people are not sufficiently informed and they will buy the illegal versions, so this guy making them will in fact steal the profit from the developers who deserve it. People will buy the copies because of lower price and lower shipping rates. Most of them will not even be aware what RGCD is.
2014-01-22 19:08
Bitbreaker

Lölchen.
I'm pretty sure that noone will become a millionaire from all this. I guess selling esoteric stuff gives a higher yield. So if this is really meant for making big money, it must be due to desperate reasons.
2014-01-22 23:11
wacek

Stealing is stealing, no matter if it's 20 euro or 2000 euro - that's my personal view. I guess it's easier to don't give a fuck though, as long as it concerns other people, right?

Of course it's not meant for big money, but since when does that even matter, when we're talking about someone's hard work? Is ripping code from a demo that is for free an OK thing in your book, because the demo has no net value whatsoever?

Have we really become that indifferent? That is pretty fucking sad.
2014-01-22 23:22
chatGPZ

somehow i find it amusing to complain about illegal copies of C64 games - on a site which is largely based around the subculture that defines itself largely through illegal copies of C64 games.

you should be proud. your game obviously is so good that someone bothers to make bootlegs from it.

that said, since the guy is selling the stuff openly via these auction platforms, it should be kinda easy to shoot him down - and ofcourse you should do that too :)
2014-01-22 23:45
TheRyk

I totally see the annoyed ppl's point, and even in our subculture which wouldn't exist today without yesterday's (and be quite different without today's) cracking imho, for sure bootlegging for profit was lame back then and is still so now. I made clear that warning collectors, especially from Poland, is good. What I meant with RGCD & Samar might decide to ignore is rather the question whether the damage is really worth all the law suit trouble. I'm pretty sure I would rather take Groepaz' view:
Quote:
you should be proud. your game obviously is so good that someone bothers to make bootlegs from it.

than wasting too much time and energy. Of course the guy is so overly bold that he seems to beg for being snitched at that Polish ePay site admins, that shouldn't take very long and would at least give him the trouble of having to sell his bootlegs a little less openly elsewhere or even make it difficult to get rid of his stock if he already produced an amount that hurts not to be sold :)
2014-01-23 01:36
STE'86

oh and this is just an FYI for Owen, the Bomberland knock off cart front is a scan of the free poster from inside the box.

It was the only artwork which I put "fire in the hole" on. none of the other bomberland art has that on.

and the black cart looks crap. BUT I do wish that the rgcd c64 cart shells weren't so retro and were more like the vcs ones with an indent panel for a real illustration :)

Bomberland and the new Phase Out art would look very nice across the whole front of the cart.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
megasoftargentina
The Unholy/Demonix
HBH.ZTH/Abnormal
Guests online: 122
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)