Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votesystem FAIL
2009-11-18 06:54
jailbird

Votesystem FAIL

OK, so why the vote system still exists, especially after all the devastating things it produces, is absolutely way beyond me.
It's rarely a representation of an objective, summarized opinion of the community. Either it's a playground for immature ding-dong fights I've had the luck to experience the last time in kindergarten, or it's simply a place for good old fashioned circlejerks.

I second Scout. At least I second the notion that this isn't really a place where I'd like to spend my spare time.

The constant pop-ups of topics considering the defecting vote-system is clearly a sign of something not working here the way it should. And yet, the cry ups keep getting ignored. For years.

Captain obvious is here to present you two options. One is to finally fix it, the other is to remove it for good. The latter one would be probably the best for all of us. And I think I'm speaking in the name of 99% of CSDb users here when I say that. Time to realize we are not IMDb with hundreds of millions of users, where a similar voting model works (more or less). Here, it's flawed and it simply fails on many, many levels

Pretty pretty please. Dudes who make and administer this site. Your work is fucking damn appreciated. I'd suck of all of you without a single second of consideration.

But for fucks sake.

... 187 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-19 17:45
chatGPZ

Quote:
CSDb is not only a database, but is the scene's central hub, releasesite, community forum, etc. For most people its rather this, than a database imho. If it wasnt intended to be so, then please shut down the forums/comments/votings now and stop this madness :)

you hit the problem on its head - too many people take csdb for more than it is. and infact i agree, if i were to decide, voting, comments and possibly the forum would go.

there is a quite interisting relation between how much csdb users contribute to the database and how much they are bitching in the forums too :o)

Quote:
Like i said: solve it all by making all votes public.

again: what exactly do you think this would change? it changes nothing really. except it gives you even more fuel for bitching. my votes are "secret" for exactly that one simple reason. i cant be arsed to discuss them with people who think they know better than me what i should have voted.

Quote:
and get proper admins that remove offtopic comments on releases.

what kind of comments are "offtopic" ? comments *are* removed every now and then (mind you, only if someone complains, noone wants to monitor all comments really) - but certainly not simply because they hurt your feelings because they tell you your release is crap. such kind of comments are anything but offtopic.

Quote:
and have the admins encourage people to talk nicely, and tone down the kindergarten gene:

i dont know, but imho most talk here is "nice". there is always some bitching here and there, but thats live, really. i really dont see that there is a extraordinary high amount of kindergarden posts here. compared with other webforums, quite the contrary is true. and compared to what used to be normal in the scene in the BBS days - csdb is an entire peaceful silent place for nuns.

Quote:
then this is a pretty nice place to be, like it was when it started. but i feel the bitching has grown, due to lack of real moderators.

what you really feel like is, that for some reason the moderators have a different opinion than you in some aspects. and one of the people contributing to the bitching for exactly that reason is - you.

and to be honest, i was thinking about deleting a bunch of posts from this thread before, because they contribute zero to the topic and only contained personal whining about someones sorry existance. not doing it right away turned out to be a mistake, i see that now. ofcourse deleting them would have been a mistake aswell, and someone would already be doing the evil-nazi-moderators dance.

for short: nothing changed at all. nothing to see. move on.
2009-11-19 18:57
Soren

Oh, so this was about the voting system here on CSDB.

Public votes is what I vote for... and no voting from "fake" profiles.

And whoever can't take criticism or votes below a certain level, should probably consider not releasing stuff here.

I've been told how my music sucked back in the beginning, by people who were good at doing music. And have been trying to learn from that, to move on.
So if I say something like "that tune of yours is not catchy, lovable or interesting", then I mean that.
But if you read closely, it doesn't say that "I hate you! You are shit!" and so on...
Since some can't handle the truth, I choose to only comment on stuff that I like and find interesting, from time to time.
And I can not take any responsibility for how each individual reacts on comments... I just think that comments work well for people who can take it. Easier to learn (if you want to, instead of whining) from comments, than from votes.
If you want to be part of the real world, you'll also have to learn to take criticism. No matter if it's good/bad or hard/soft. By "hard/soft" I mean, that if you have a job, you can sometimes be told that you're not doing well enough, in a soft way, or in a hard way. You may think your boss is an arse if he says things the hard way, but sometimes that's what works best.

Anyways, cheer up! And really, Too much drama here. I am happy about checking stuff, when good stuff is released. It's part of what drives me to do c64 stuff myself.
:-)

2009-11-19 19:03
chatGPZ

Quote:
Public votes is what I vote for...

i seriously dont get why people think this would be an improvement. imho the only reason to demand this is curiosity =) really, how does it help?

(i find it especially funny when people claim it had been like this in the past, in mags or party compos... reality distortion field ftw, please tell me what you are smoking =P)

Quote:
and no voting from "fake" profiles.

thats impossible to do obviously :) although the various things that emerged from the wdr/secretman/crypt drama resulted in lots of double accounts found and deleted (and much harder to create new ones).
2009-11-19 19:18
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz

i seriously dont get why people think this would be an improvement. imho the only reason to demand this is curiosity =) really, how does it help?

This actually happened:

• User downvotes me with a 1 (anonymously)
• I find out who he is (he's a scener I've had some irrelevant disagreements with, about a totally frivolous topic) and ask him politely for the reason. I might suck a lot, but I don't think I deserve a 1.
• User says it's a mistake, changes it to a 4 or 5 or 6, doesn't really matter. Case is closed.

Might be I'm wrong here, but publicity could make people give more objective votes.
2009-11-19 20:43
chatGPZ

Quote:

This actually happened:

• User downvotes me with a 1 (anonymously)
• I find out who he is (he's a scener I've had some irrelevant disagreements with, about a totally frivolous topic) and ask him politely for the reason. I might suck a lot, but I don't think I deserve a 1.
• User says it's a mistake, changes it to a 4 or 5 or 6, doesn't really matter. Case is closed.

Might be I'm wrong here, but publicity could make people give more objective votes.

if anything, weak minded people will give votes that cause less disagreements. do we want that? i dont think so.

also if someone votes you 1 - given enough votes - it is completely irrelevant. who cares really. if you have a problem with a few extremes in the statistics that result in what you see as vote, then you have a far more serious problem than the voting system in general. no change to the system could fix it either, extremes always exist.

edit: i deleted the kittens pictures too ... isnt it awesome how they pop up in the thread like this? =P
2009-11-19 21:16
GT
Account closed

@Groepaz: Are you afraid of critism of your "secret" votes?
You behave just like Jan Jan Binks. Let there be democracy. The majority seems to want the anonymous voting dead, once and for all.

Mjau.
2009-11-19 21:25
chatGPZ

Quote:
@Groepaz: Are you afraid of critism of your "secret" votes?

no, i am not. i have said often enough how i vote (10s and 1s only) and people who i dont agree with usually know that aswell. personally i would have zero problem with making my votes public - i just find the idea extremely silly, and thats why i dont do it.

Quote:
Let there be democracy.

arent anonymous votes pretty much the one basic core foundation of every democratic society ? =P

and still, i dont see how non anonymous votes would improve anything. only people who dont have the slightest clue on how statistics work can assume something like that =P
2009-11-19 21:27
GT
Account closed

Tell us why anonymous voting is so good ?
And voting only 10s or 1s, how stupid is that? Now I understand why you're a anonymous coward.

If the majority votes for non-anonymous voting, that's democracy. Wonder what's in your veins.

And yeah, escape, run to the IRC....
2009-11-19 21:43
Stainless Steel

Quoting ControlFreak
You behave just like Jan Jan Binks.

The infamous one?

Previous - 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cba
rexbeng
Britelite/Dekadence
Board Rider/Commodor..
Ghost/Quantum
Freeze/Blazon