Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votesystem FAIL
2009-11-18 06:54
jailbird

Votesystem FAIL

OK, so why the vote system still exists, especially after all the devastating things it produces, is absolutely way beyond me.
It's rarely a representation of an objective, summarized opinion of the community. Either it's a playground for immature ding-dong fights I've had the luck to experience the last time in kindergarten, or it's simply a place for good old fashioned circlejerks.

I second Scout. At least I second the notion that this isn't really a place where I'd like to spend my spare time.

The constant pop-ups of topics considering the defecting vote-system is clearly a sign of something not working here the way it should. And yet, the cry ups keep getting ignored. For years.

Captain obvious is here to present you two options. One is to finally fix it, the other is to remove it for good. The latter one would be probably the best for all of us. And I think I'm speaking in the name of 99% of CSDb users here when I say that. Time to realize we are not IMDb with hundreds of millions of users, where a similar voting model works (more or less). Here, it's flawed and it simply fails on many, many levels

Pretty pretty please. Dudes who make and administer this site. Your work is fucking damn appreciated. I'd suck of all of you without a single second of consideration.

But for fucks sake.

... 187 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-19 21:25
chatGPZ

Quote:
@Groepaz: Are you afraid of critism of your "secret" votes?

no, i am not. i have said often enough how i vote (10s and 1s only) and people who i dont agree with usually know that aswell. personally i would have zero problem with making my votes public - i just find the idea extremely silly, and thats why i dont do it.

Quote:
Let there be democracy.

arent anonymous votes pretty much the one basic core foundation of every democratic society ? =P

and still, i dont see how non anonymous votes would improve anything. only people who dont have the slightest clue on how statistics work can assume something like that =P
2009-11-19 21:27
GT
Account closed

Tell us why anonymous voting is so good ?
And voting only 10s or 1s, how stupid is that? Now I understand why you're a anonymous coward.

If the majority votes for non-anonymous voting, that's democracy. Wonder what's in your veins.

And yeah, escape, run to the IRC....
2009-11-19 21:43
Stainless Steel

Quoting ControlFreak
You behave just like Jan Jan Binks.

The infamous one?

2009-11-19 21:50
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
also if someone votes you 1 - given enough votes - it is completely irrelevant.

Brought it up just as an example for the sneaky behavior which the current system encourages.

Quoting Groepaz
who cares really. if you have a problem with a few extremes in the statistics that result in what you see as vote, then you have a far more serious problem than the voting system in general. no change to the system could fix it either, extremes always exist.

To my defense, it happened ages ago when a 1 meant a sudden drop on the average from 10-20 votes (at most). Downvotes just started to appear, and the difference after even one was often very prominent.

What I still do regularly is to check the votes for my releases as it is kind of good to be aware about others' opinions, even if they're passive. Down- or upvotes have no value in this case, so I've learned a long time ago how to ignore them. But it's really not about me.

What I disagree with, is that the only solution here would be to send sensitive/responsive people to seek for professional help whilst continuing to ignore the obvious problems. The usual storm of indignation which covers this whole topic is a clear sign that there are way too many introvert geeks on this site who are extremely touchy when it comes to unfairness and injustice. On the other hand, it's more than fairly obvious that there is a group of anti-social nerds who solve their problems by irritating the aforementioned ones. Catch 22, it is :)
2009-11-19 21:52
GT
Account closed

Please Stain, you're a nice guy, but...

Non-Anonymous voting will also lead to more thought-through voting and show a more realistic result.
2009-11-19 21:52
chatGPZ

Quote:
Tell us why anonymous voting is so good ?

the argument doesnt work like that. if you think anonymous voting is bad, and you want to remove it, you have to tell why its bad, and what would be fixed by removing it.

you also gotta think that if anonymous voting would be bad, then every democratic state on earth wouldnt be using it. (and the reasons are very much the same there as they are here)

Quote:
And voting only 10s or 1s, how stupid is that? Now I understand why you're a anonymous coward.

its no less stupid than thinking the vote results would (or even should) in any way reflect "objectivity". statistically it doesnt matter much, as i dont vote for mediocre crap at all. i am just doing "thumb up" and "thumb down" (as suggested by many others, even in this thread). no more no less. it might be stupid, but yeah, so is taking the whole voting thing seriously =P

Quote:
If the majority votes for non-anonymous voting, that's democracy. Wonder what's in your veins.

i dont see any sign of "majority" in this thread, really. infact the majority of actually active users (as in: those who contribute to the database) doesnt use the voting crap nor the forum at all.

i can only repeat what i told someone else when he demanded rules for the demoscene: make sure to get the *actual* majority behind you, and then come back. look at the amount of accounts for a hint on what that means. a handful people that repeat the same boring things over and over for many years do not make a majority. it should be easy to get some hundreds of names behind you if it actually exists.

2009-11-19 21:59
GT
Account closed

Read my post above. And don't be obsessed by the fact that anonymous votes really works, because it don't. The voting system as it is now is NOT a thumb up or thumb down.
2009-11-19 22:03
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
i dont see any sign of "majority" in this thread, really.

Really? Interesting, as I remember about a certain poll where the majority voted for removing the option for anonymous voting.
2009-11-19 22:06
Stainless Steel

Quoting GT
Non-Anonymous voting will also lead to more thought-through voting and show a more realistic result.
Hey dont drag me into that discussion. I'm just here for the trolling. I dont even know what you guy's are talking about.
2009-11-19 22:08
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
infact the majority of actually active users (as in: those who contribute to the database) doesnt use the voting crap nor the forum at all.

And that's a very good argument why should we dismiss it.
Previous - 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
REBEL 1/HF
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Didi/Laxity
Krill/Plush
rexbeng
cba