Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Demo Effects
2003-05-31 05:58
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo Effects

Hello.

I'm planning on writing an article that gives a general look on C64 demo effects. Obviously, I'd have to do some research, but hopefully the CSDb community will pitch in and help. :)

This article is intended for the North American NTSC audience and I hope to increase such awareness of the C64 demo scene and its releases for this audience. This way, if there is some degree of familarity with the demo effects used, the audience will appreciate the C64 demos all that much more and hopefully become active participants in the C64 demo scene.

Here's what I remember and will include in my article:
DYCP
DYSP
Sprite Multiplexer Effects
Scrolling Texts
Rasterbars
Fractals
Dot Plotters (i.e., a bunch of dots moving/rotating onscreen)
Plasmas (I understand there are some varieties? Any differences I should be aware of?)
Bump-Mappers
FLD
VSP
Linecrunching
Fire/Flame

I'm sure there's a lot more out there. Should make for an interesting article and reading.

Many thanks in advance for any contributions!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 10 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-06-13 14:57
TDJ

Which in fact means that your name is TMG, not TMR .. hmm .. seems I ruined an already very bad joke .. must be friday the 13th ..
2003-06-13 17:31
T.M.R
Account closed

Well, i've given that a lot of serious thought and, after all the mental activity, my response is this: [pokes thumbs in ears and wiggles fingers] PPPPHHHHPPPPTTTT!!!! =-)
2003-06-14 10:40
Nightlord

i know not everyone likes vector effects but nevertheless i would definitely enjoy some more detail on vector effects on such an article. especially there are many variations of vector effects. such as:
- line vectors (or wireframe vectors)
- hidden line (those objects with their edges at the backside is not seen)
- filled vectors (solid colors without any shading)
- glenz vectors (objects with semi transparent faces)
- rubber vectors (objects that bend and deform)
- goraud shaded (objects that are lit with a certain lighting algoritm depending on z-depth. ps: i might be spelling the name wrong)
- phong shading (lighting algorithm depending on face normals and distance)
- ray tracing (calculating shadows and reflections with sort of tracing lines from light sources to object edges and to their intersections with other faces.
- texture mapping (mapping bitmap images onto the faces of objects)

these are all i can recall right now. also emphasis can be given to the "real-time"ness of all these effects.

i think apart from all vic wizardry effects (which i admire a lot and do not know how to do most of them), the mathematical effects form a different discipline and a challenge. and vectors are i think a historical family of effects which has marked important points in the course of CGI movement.
2003-06-14 11:59
jailbird

Anyone here mentioned 'burning vectors', that leave some kind of a trace and look like they're burning or smokin' ?
2003-06-15 16:30
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I've found the article that was mentioned in Fairlight's Reformation #2, and got some more ideas. Thanks for the tips.

Here's a couple more effects I've come up with recently:

Raytracing
Shade bobs (What is this?)
Shade plotter (What is this?)
Plots in a scroll (What is this?)
Graphics/text that is spilt into their individual lines, like the effect used in Oedipus Complex by Payday. Is there a name for this effect? It looks like stretching, but the graphics/text actually seperate into their lines.
Fading graphics/text in and out.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2003-06-15 17:55
Steppe

Has anyone already mentioned unlimited bobs?
2003-06-15 18:10
T.M.R
Account closed

Hmm... take two, 'cos the first answer disappeared! =-(

> Shade bobs (What is this?)

Plotting one colour objects into the screen, but instead of just writing a colour they change the pixels they overlap, normally making the brighter. There are variants with sprite overlays or FLI to get better colour depth.

> Shade plotter (What is this?)

Same deal as shade bobs, but with plots. There are shade vectors too.

> Plots in a scroll (What is this?)

A scroll where the characters are displayed as points that can follow all sorts of interesting curves.

> Graphics/text that is spilt into their individual lines, like the effect used in Oedipus Complex by Payday.

i think that's FPD - Flexible Pixel Displacement...?
2003-06-16 08:54
Testicle
Account closed

well, i actually don't know each exact name for the effects, but as far as i know the scroll-effect is calles "fpp" (flexible pixel position).

well, who cares? it's enough for me if i can code it, i don't need to name it. ;-)
2003-06-16 09:55
Puterman
Account closed

TMR: I think it's Flexible Pixel Distance.

And how come no one's mentioned my favorite effect, the flickering multiplexer? :-)
2003-06-17 16:07
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Thank you people, for your input and feedback! I appreciate it very much. I have plenty of material now to write up an article.

I know this article will never be comphrensive concerning the subject of demo effects, but I hope to cover at least the majority of them and give the North American audience at least some exposure so that they can explore more about C64 demos.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
zscs
Durandal
Guests online: 98
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)