Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #209982 : Transwarp v0.82
2021-10-03 18:31
Krill

Release id #209982 : Transwarp v0.82

General Q&A thread, also report problems and error logs here.

... 70 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-10-10 15:41
Zaphod

Quoting Krill
Could not reproduce this. What are the 5 options set to, which name does the Transwarp bootfile have in the directory, and what is your exact LOAD command?

crypto is off, bootname is transwarp, erstats is off, all others are on.

i have it named transwarp, and it happens when using any wildcards. i usually trip it with something like

"LOAD"TR*",8,1

if i actually type
LOAD "TRANSWARP",8,1

it doesn't happen.

if sound is off, it doesn't happen.

but if sound is on, and erstats is off, it does.
    **** commodore 64 basic v2 ****

64k ram system  38911 basic bytes free

ready.
load"*",8,1

searching for *
\\\transwarp
\\\\krill/plush
////v0.82
///
\\\transwarpr *
\\\\krill/plush
////v0.82
///ready.

Quoting Krill

I guess you mean booting a Transwarp file from plain BASIC. This should just execute the RUN command after loading, regardless of where the file is loaded to.

oh. must be the same bug that breaks basic programs having anything more than a sys line.
i crashed the computer with

LOAD"PULGA1",8,1

it loads to $c000 just fine, but then when it prints run, the top part 40% of the screen corrupts, even though nothing in basic was loaded at all, and the computer hangs. so i thought it was executing something, and it couldn't be basic code because nothing was loaded to that memory area.

but turns out JMP $c000 doesn't produce that crash after all.

anyway i can autostart ml easily enough if i use an ML loader, by pushing the start address onto the stack and JMP instead of JSR to start the load. and i can put this ml loader at the start of basic. Or i can make a 1 block basic loader. but that would use an entire track for one or two blocks. yeah it only takes half a second to relocate or so, but i'd like to save that half a second. :)

The teeny basic menu concept has the same problem. You are stuck using an entire track unless you save it as a normal non transwarp program, so to make it worth it you need to include more bells and whistles in the menu to fill out the track, since the space is taken up anyway. like say a character set and sid tune.
2021-10-10 16:01
Krill

Hmm, still cannot reproduce the double-load issue. Do you maybe have the Transwarp bootfile as first file in the directory?

Quoting Zaphod
yeah it only takes half a second to relocate or so, but i'd like to save that half a second. :)
Half a second? Copying $4000 bytes to $c000 should only take about a quarter of a second, and i guess the program is smaller than 16 KB?
2021-10-10 17:21
Zaphod

it happens whether or not it's the first file.

CRYPTO = 0
.endif; BOOTNM = TRANSWARP

SOUND = 1
ERSTAT = 0
COMPAT = 1
INSTAL = 1

Hmm. i can't reproduce, except with "*" in PAL. but it happens 100% with ntsc.

still yet to find a convenient tool that converts 1 or more files into a self relocating blob. I'm well aware that it's laziness, but why can't i tell exomizer to just NOT compress? :) if i -M 0, it just hangs (laugh)

i only consider the workaround acceptable for booga boo because i removed a pointless delay from the original loader which is about the same length.

anyway can confirm 0.84 has the basic bug fixed, and now i have zero compression at all on booga-boo. 209 transwarp blocks for the two files, and zero delays. found out how to use basic's own transfer forward routine (the one used when you insert a line), which works here since we aren't going in or out of basic memory. and there were three free bytes after the 00 00 00 in the original main program to wedge in a JSR to move the data up. it's now quite the impressive showcase.
2021-10-20 22:17
Krill

Goof Info
Submitted by Peiselulli [PM] on 18 October 2021
"compat error (check user port") if a 4 player adaptor is plugged in ...

Goof Info
Submitted by Krill [PM] on 18 October 2021
Peiselulli: Entirely expected behaviour. :) If the user-port device drives the parallel port pins stronger than CIA $dd01/$dd03 set to output does, jmp ($dd00) won't work.
Now... i've been thinking about moving the jump table to $ff00.

This would work with user port devices that drive the parallel port with $ff when idle, but with a 4-player extension i guess that means that loading can break randomly with some devious fellow player moving the joystick while loading.

Not sure if that's better than bailing out right away.

But then there are also things like WLAN modems for the user port, where such a change might make sense.

Any more relevant user port devices which might tip the scales on this issue?
(Those things should be more well-behaved by default and go tri-state when idle, provide proper buffers etc., but alas... Commodore hardware and cheap must go together, i guess.)
2021-10-20 22:55
Frantic

There is a relatively new midi interface for the user port called "the vessel". Not sure if huge amounts of people care, but from my own personal perspective I do care. I have it plugged in more or less at all time.
2021-10-20 22:57
Krill

Quoting Frantic
There is a relatively new midi interface for the user port called "the vessel". Not sure if huge amounts of people care, but from my own personal perspective I do care. I have it plugged in more or less at all time.
Okay, i do care for proper music gear. Does Transwarp complain with the thing plugged in? :)
2021-10-20 22:59
Frantic

I'll check next time I have the possibility to do so. Might take some time unfortunately, because at the moment I am buried in work.

Here is a link to the midi interface I mentioned:
https://github.com/anarkiwi/vessel

I also have one of those wifi modems for the user port by the way, that I use from time to time. I'll try that as well next time the gear is running.
2021-10-21 00:05
JackAsser

Quote:
Goof Info
Submitted by Peiselulli [PM] on 18 October 2021
"compat error (check user port") if a 4 player adaptor is plugged in ...

Goof Info
Submitted by Krill [PM] on 18 October 2021
Peiselulli: Entirely expected behaviour. :) If the user-port device drives the parallel port pins stronger than CIA $dd01/$dd03 set to output does, jmp ($dd00) won't work.
Now... i've been thinking about moving the jump table to $ff00.

This would work with user port devices that drive the parallel port with $ff when idle, but with a 4-player extension i guess that means that loading can break randomly with some devious fellow player moving the joystick while loading.

Not sure if that's better than bailing out right away.

But then there are also things like WLAN modems for the user port, where such a change might make sense.

Any more relevant user port devices which might tip the scales on this issue?
(Those things should be more well-behaved by default and go tri-state when idle, provide proper buffers etc., but alas... Commodore hardware and cheap must go together, i guess.)

$0100 ftw!
2021-10-21 00:29
Krill

Quoting JackAsser
$0100 ftw!
Please elaborate. :)

Table at $0100? Which problem would that solve for you?
2021-10-21 09:24
Krill

For any testing, please refer to https://bitbucket.org/KrillPlush/transwarp-test/downloads/ where i keep binaries of the latest version for a patch release.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
theK/ATL
CA$H/TRiAD
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Courage
Broti/DT/KRN
Matt