Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Group id #2667 : ABC Crackings
2005-11-15 19:10
hwm
Account closed

Group id #2667 : ABC Crackings

I corrected the information already but I'd rather give an explanation too, to prevent misunderstanding in the future. If someone thinks different about this, let me know.

Originally, I added the "Founded by" and "Dissolved in" entries for this group. However, they've been changed to respectively "1983" & "1987" instead of my "1984" & "1985".

I can see why someone would do this, since their releases/cracks span the years 1983-1987. However I don't think that's correct. They might have cracked games *from* 1983, however those days not being "zero-day" and all, I rather think the cracking itself was done in 1984 or so.

Also, the group ceased to exist in 1985. The only thing happened after that was that 2 people named Hawk & Junior "resurrected" the group with permission from ABC member ADJ (they claim). I don't know if the proper term is "resurrected", since the only thing they did is releasing a piece of ripped music.

Which brings me to another point. Should this kind of people be included with the original group? I wouldn't call them imposters, since they probably got permission from ADJ (who I recall left ABC some time before the group ceased to exist), but it's not that they did something significant in name of the group. I do not care about it that much, but I'm just curious how this situation is usually treated in CSDb?

... 3 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-11-24 22:20
Zyron

No reaction to this?
If no one disagrees I will create an own entry for the new ABC & move their one & only release there.
2005-11-25 01:03
hwm
Account closed

I think your solution would be the best, yes.
2005-11-25 01:45
hwm
Account closed

And, a bit off-topic:

I just saw that someone added ADJ's real name, which I knew already, but perhaps this person knows more about him. After I added the members of ABC, one thing is still a bit unsolved:

Antisoft & CSS, if I remember correctly, were "groups", in the sense that there were more persons behind it. However, they both didn't use handles within the group, as far as I know, so I added them as sceners (that and the fact that groups can't be part of groups, which we all know). Now I know who were/was behind Antisoft/Bytebreaker, but CSS always was unclear to me. Somehow I remember, not sure why/how, that ADJ was in fact part of CSS. Can anyone elaborate on this?

2005-11-25 08:01
CyberBrain
Administrator

Quote: No reaction to this?
If no one disagrees I will create an own entry for the new ABC & move their one & only release there.

I'm not sure i get your argument for doing this. I mean, the resurected group is still the same group, isn't it? As far as i understand hwm, it's not a new unrelated group that just happens to have the same name.
(the trivia and join-dates for hawk and junior would show that they were part of the group only when it got resurrected)

...in CSDb V2 there should probably be a possibility to have more than 1 founding/annihilate date for groups...
2005-11-25 08:23
Zyron

Quote: I'm not sure i get your argument for doing this. I mean, the resurected group is still the same group, isn't it? As far as i understand hwm, it's not a new unrelated group that just happens to have the same name.
(the trivia and join-dates for hawk and junior would show that they were part of the group only when it got resurrected)

...in CSDb V2 there should probably be a possibility to have more than 1 founding/annihilate date for groups...

I strongly disagree.

It's not the same group, it has no members from the old group, it just shares its name.
All they managed to release was a simple music-rip, it looks sooooo lame with that file among all the cracks on the original ABC page.
2005-11-25 13:47
CyberBrain
Administrator

k. If it makes more sense to do it like that, then just do it like that i guess.

But still there should be trivia explaining this and connecting the two groups together.
2005-11-25 15:10
Mason

What to do about the third ABC? If you check GG theres a release of Flik Flak released by ABC
2005-11-25 16:15
CyberBrain
Administrator

Another revival? :)

If it's a different group that just happens to have the same name, it should have it's own group-entry.
If it's a revival it should not have it's own entry, as it's the same group.

What Zyron and hwm were saying (i think) was that the revived ABC Crackings wasn't really a revival, but a new group that just was given permission to use the same name.
2005-11-25 17:12
Mason

well I was just trying to be annoying :) Doesnt really concern till we got the release.
2019-08-06 09:51
Fred

Releases mentioned in Rambo: First Blood Part II that are still missing:

Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Hyper Sports

Releases mentioned in Space-Pilot II that are still missing:

Staff of Karnat
Lands of Havoc!
Boulder Dash II
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Oswald/Resource
hedning/G★P
sln.pixelrat
FABS