Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > C64 graphicians still conquering the ZX scene?... ;-)
2014-02-18 15:46
wacek

C64 graphicians still conquering the ZX scene?... ;-)

...apparently ;)
At least this time skurwy , Raven and Data are credited in the .nfo ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9YgdSjl-nM

1:32 -> Creeping in the Shadows
1:36 -> Escape to Reality
1:47 -> Kind of Magic

... 18 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-02-20 08:34
enthusi

Quote: our Void has a straight converted interlaced AFLI picture (turn disk), not even touched up :) but back then it was already cool if you could achieve a high quality picture, we have grown since then and artistry became more important.

Ah, come on.
There is only VERY few truely original work out there.
And its always been two brands. Pixelperfection and creative artism ;-)
We all know those few that combine both.
But in 99% of the other cases its either wired or 'at least' (which is not negative thing in my book) inspired by existing art/gfx.
Boris Vallejo anyone?
2014-02-20 08:53
wacek

Groepaz and rest - that's not what I am looking for. I am talking binary converts. Not converting Amiga pictures to advanced gfx modes like AFLI or IFLI. No touch-up work, not converting several bitplanes from Amiga to IFLI and stuff.
When you take Data's picture for example, this is pixel by pixel. Same for Raven's picture.
Did we have this kind of a BINARY ripoff from Amiga? I do not think so.
2014-02-20 09:54
jailbird

Quote: Groepaz and rest - that's not what I am looking for. I am talking binary converts. Not converting Amiga pictures to advanced gfx modes like AFLI or IFLI. No touch-up work, not converting several bitplanes from Amiga to IFLI and stuff.
When you take Data's picture for example, this is pixel by pixel. Same for Raven's picture.
Did we have this kind of a BINARY ripoff from Amiga? I do not think so.

Considering there aren't too much Amiga/PC graphics using 16 colors or less (whilst the monochrome images also use a larger scale of colors the C64 could correlate with), that would be kinda impossible to achieve.

I don't really see your point. A rip is a rip, whether it's matching 100% by pixel or not.
2014-02-20 11:25
wacek

Quote:
A rip is a rip, whether it's matching 100% by pixel or not.

Well, I know this is such an academic discussion ;) but for me it's a difference between ripping and converting. And then I'd say a lot of c64 people were converting Amiga graphics, but not ripping it. Contrary to the ZX case, when the graphics were ripped.

It's like with code. If I see a vector routine and rip the code from it as it is and use it, that is ripping. But if I write my own routine from scratch, which looks 100% identical to the original one - that is not ripping.
2014-02-20 12:08
enthusi

well, if you put it like this, then there is no 'rip' at all.
If you convert a c64 hires bitmap to speccy it is by nature pixel-exact (not to mention colors here).
Vice versa as well.
It is NOT binary ripping as the bitmap structure from the speccy is quite different (less sane even) from C64.
So I claim: there is no 'ripping', everything is conversion.
Its just a 1:1 conversion in this case.
Like early conversions in the 90s from 1bit PC-gfx.
So you seem to term it like: lossless conversion == rip.
That makes little sence imho.
2014-02-20 12:13
wacek

Thanks for clarification enthusi, then my mistake is that when I say 'binary' I mean 'pixel exact' ;)
And that is what I call ripping.
When you 'rip' music, you take it out as blocks of memory and put them in as blocks of memory (yeah, I know there might be some 'fixing' involved, but that's nitpicking).
On the other hand, saying that drawing a picture in IFLI that shows some gfx originally made by Vallejo is 'ripping' makes no sense to me.
2014-02-20 12:34
jailbird

Quoting wackee
It's like with code. If I see a vector routine and rip the code from it as it is and use it, that is ripping. But if I write my own routine from scratch, which looks 100% identical to the original one - that is not ripping.

Well that's comparing apples and oranges. Putting into a parallel with coding: let's say if you'd have a converter which would compile code from Amiga to C64 with a press of a button, but the effects would be dumbed down and accommodated to the C64's hardware limits. Perhaps you'd change it here and there to make it a bit nicer. Would you call it your own work?

None of the graphics we bought up were made from scratch, some of them weren't even touched after the conversion, yet still credited as original art.

Once you convert a piece of graphic, you make a 100% replica of the outlines, the filling technique, the structure, the shadings, the textures... Basically the whole skillset and creative process of an artist, except the exact place of colors/pixels. And improving converted graphics doesn't require too much knowledge, energy and time, only a tiny fraction of what the original artist used for creating his work. Doesn't seems too distinctive compared to the C64->Speccy conversions to me.

Whilst if we talk about copying, it is a different question altogether. You'll still plagiarize, but at least the technical part of your work will be based on your own experience/routine, especially if the formats differ a lot.
2014-02-20 12:46
wacek

Well, not being too serious, in the case with the code converter, I think the work effort put into the tool would be probably much greater than the complexity of the converted code itself ;) and at that point it would deserve as much appreciation as original code. No? ;)
2014-02-20 13:20
jailbird

Quote: Well, not being too serious, in the case with the code converter, I think the work effort put into the tool would be probably much greater than the complexity of the converted code itself ;) and at that point it would deserve as much appreciation as original code. No? ;)

In that case, just for the sake of the argument, let's say that a person converts code with a tool made by someone else :)

It was quite rare that the graphic-converters were made by the same people who converted the graphics. Most of the "graphicians" used 3rd party tools for that.
2014-02-20 13:24
algorithm

Creating code for high quality converts would probably take longer than creating a picture, however as you all know (And i am to also blame for this :-)) once the converter is created, click on a button and any amount of pictures pop out :-)

In particular converters are useful for custom gfx formats (for example see the CI-FLI HIRES mode in demolicious) that would take the artist a long long time to create something of this quality.

There are some of the types of converts below.

Direct converts - Converted as is using source from another artist/picture

Assisted converts - Same as above, but tweaked manually for increase in quality

Original converts - Drawn by the artist using pen/paper or photoshop and then converted via the converter. More credible (although not for artists c64 technical skills due to converter doing the job)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Jetboy/Elysium
Mason/Unicess
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
nucleus/TempesT
HOL2001/Quantum
Guests online: 75