Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Sepa ! (Registered 2024-05-13) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Best way to make IFLI screenshots im Emu?
2005-08-16 17:36
bugjam

Best way to make IFLI screenshots im Emu?

Hi everybody,
I have the following problem: I want to upload a screenshot from an old compopic of mine which is in IFLI, and I have it only as prg. How is the best way to make a decent screenshot of it in VICE? I have seen many nice IFLI-screenshots here and would like to know how they were done.
Thanks!

-Bugjam

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-08-16 20:02
Tch
Account closed

Ehr,IFli screenshots never show how they were pixeled. ;)

Interlace is not that good for blurring colors anyway.
Hint hint... ;P
2005-08-17 09:20
Cruzer

Other crappy suggestions...

- Anim-gif

- Use a real c64 instead, and take a screenshot of the monitor/tv with a camera that has a closing time (or what it's called) of 1/25th sec

- Only grab one of the screens, then the user will get a positive surprise when viewing the demo
2005-08-17 10:55
algorithm

1. Run Photoshop
1. Select Pal Emulation under vice + double screen
2. press the printscreen button or use a screen grab prog
(Do not use 'save screenshot' this will only save a
indexed color non stretched non pal emulated snapshot).
quickly pause the emulator
3. paste clipboard contents into photoshop, then repeat
step 2 until you have two images with (hopefully two
individual screens. If not repeat the process
4. Merge the two screens together. If there is a standard
scrolly, you can shift it seperately so that they will
both merge at the same spot
2005-08-17 13:08
jailbird

That's all nice... when you need a blurred screenshot! The question is, is that what Bugjam wants?
Personally I prefer taking a screenshot the way Deev mentioned (Lost) as it's more adequate when you see the dithering instead of a blurry image.

I was using Vicshow+palette remap for that, seems to me like the easiest way.
2005-08-17 17:32
Cruzer

Btw, I think a blurry image is the most correct way of displaying it, since then it looks like IFLI. If you do it the "Jailbird way" it will look like some kinda sprites + hires FLI mode, and then you get negatively surprised when seeing the pic live.
2005-08-17 18:14
Graham
Account closed

Yup, totally agree with Cruzer. The blurred way is the correct way and it is also the result if you take a picture of the screen when photographed with a closing time of 1/25 second.

If you watch an IFLI on a real C64 without zoom-mode, then you'll notice that the dithering is no dithering at all. A chessboard-like dithering is displayed as flickering horizontal lines.
2005-08-17 18:56
jailbird

I think that a blurry image differs much more from the original as a dithered one, but what do I know, I'm just a graphician, not a coder ;D
2005-08-17 19:34
jailbird

Quote: Btw, I think a blurry image is the most correct way of displaying it, since then it looks like IFLI. If you do it the "Jailbird way" it will look like some kinda sprites + hires FLI mode, and then you get negatively surprised when seeing the pic live.

First of all, the blurring of C64's interlace (if done well, that's it) always made the pictures much smoother on the real thing. That looks better than a PC screenshot, dithered or blurred, whatever. So I don't get why would be someone negatively surprised in any way when seeing the picture "live".

Secondly, while pixelling, I put down exact pixels from a 16 colors pallette, not blurred interlaced dots. If I compare a blurred picture with the thing I've pixelled, I still found the dithered screenshot much closer to the original than the trashy mess Vice or CCS64 produces. If you zoom the dithered screenshot, yes, you'll se the dots. But if you zoom the c64 image, you'll see the dots as well. Not zoomed, IMHO the dithered images looks *much* better than a blurred one. Look at Deev's picture as an example - you'd hardly tell it's blurred or dithered without zooming.

Perhaps it's my very subjective, non-technical, fledgeling view on IFLI emulation but after pixelling a heavy bunch of IFLIs and seeing them on PCs afterwards, I still think that blurring looks like shit, sorry.
2005-08-17 20:37
Deev

I agree with Jailbird. Graham's description of how IFLI looks on a real C64 sounds pretty accurate to me, but a dithered image and a merged image on the PC both fail to accurately create that look in my eyes. This being the case, I much prefer to see the dithered version that shows exactly how the graphician has set the pixels. It does show the image more sharply than a real C64 with a mere simulated 300x200 resolution can manage, but it also shows the image using only the C64's palette, rather than incorperating several dozen colours that the 64 could never actually display.
2005-08-17 21:07
Graham
Account closed

You know that the monitor hardly displays those 16 colors you pixel :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Sepa/OCD
katon/Lepsi De
HCL/Booze Design
Beast/Crescent
Flexman