Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > pixel with two joysticks?
2008-06-05 22:12
Malmix

pixel with two joysticks?

Any such tools out there that makes it possible to make coop pics simultaneously? =)

... 6 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-06-06 15:50
Sander

Quote: What else then just a 'Koala' painter with two pointers?

Quote:
...there's a great number of practical problems you run into
Then, name five :-)

Well, zooming and stuff would require a double split screen in order for both ppl to work parallel on it.
So who do you start? With a generic outline of a figure, or do you try to meet halfway at the screen? Or what about choice dithering and choice of colors..

To name a few practical problems. Ofcourse theoretically it's possible, yet I have never seen an attempt being succesful.

And that was my point - too bad you didn't quote that part ;)
2008-06-06 16:08
chatGPZ

zooming could work with an amicapaint style mini-zoom ... i see more problems with things like selecting drawing color, or brushes/tools/whatever. everything would have to exist twice on the keyboard, without clashes etc.

but it still sounds like a funny idea :)
2008-06-06 17:27
Soren

why not modify a c64 to hold 8 joysticks, and do a joystick controlled music editor, so 8 people could compose against eachother.. with a lameness detection so only the good stuff would be played (as sid only has 3 voices)...
anyways, just an idea... and possibly a quite silly one ;-)
2008-06-06 19:15
hollowman

How about adding network functionality to an existing paint program, so several c64's can send the changes to the picture to eachother? Then twoflower could get help finishing his compopic and wouldnt be stuck with his c64 and mastersystem pad the whole party.
2008-06-06 20:16
Twoflower

Hollowman, that is exactly my point - but on the other side, it'd make me fall a bit out of the current fashion of our guild. This years theme is "The Lone Pixeler". I mean, who am I kidding? I knew that the life as a graphician was bound lonely when I got into it. But in the end, sore masterpad-thumbs, late nights and that wonderful red tan from your old seventies TV-set is a small price to pay.

But why not using the old drive-trick? Same program on 2 C-64's, two screens and a picture that gets updated when a pixel is put on either side. A simple buffer-routine and some polling to and from the drivemem.
2008-06-08 11:01
jailbird

Oh, what an amazing idea. I could imagine a PC tool + IP connection which would result Leon and I painting small pixel penises to each other. Now, that would be priceless! \:D/
2008-10-30 10:09
null
Account closed

I like where this thread is going...

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2008-10-30 10:32
VIC

Quote: I like where this thread is going...

...like nowhere i 4 months? ;)
2008-10-30 10:37
null
Account closed

actually I meant penisbattlepixeling(tm)

2008-11-25 07:21
DeeKay

What a dumb idea! <:-) I don't even wanna start thinking about how many problems you run into with this, from two separate zoom/fullscreen views to exclusivity problems when editing the same area. This pretty much demands coding a new editor from scratch rather than modifying an existing one!

When I read the subject I rather thought about 1 guy using 2 joysticks, like the second one for color selecting or sth!

2 gfxians that CAN and WANT to work together pretty much only happens on parties anyway, so would anyone really code a special editor for that?

I've done coop stuff on parties before: The "Dicke Eier Weihnachtsfeier"-Logo with Ptoing, that Oxyron-Logo in Krestyron with Cupid and FCT or the Teddybear in in "der Bär einer Votze" with Widdy. It worked just fine taking turns in working on the GFX, gives you some time out to scour the partyplace for social interaction, and at no point in time did any of the involved people think "damn, if just we had an editor that allowed us simultaneously to work on the same picture!"

There's another kind of editor the c64-scene is in FUCKING DIRE NEED OF and that any coders should rather spend their time on instead of dumb ideas like this: An editor for proper BORDER GFX! I'm fucking fed up with making my stuff on Potatoshop, counting colors manually while i pixel it and having to rely on the coder to convert it first to see what it it actually looks like on the real machine! And I probably hate doing it in Amica Paint (with totally different color restrictions!) just as much as the coder who later has to convert it to sprites!

There's only two editors for border gfx I found (and no, I ain't talking about expanded-sprites-only stuff like ESCOS, I'm talking bitmap gfx, possibly Drazlace!): One allows you to extend some 4-color-gfx into the border (in 4-colors only any only sth like 10 chars high - meh!) and the other one is OSCAR from some OZ dude, done in 1988 (!), which I've added to CSDb.. I've spent some time working in this last December, and I can tell you that if you think our gfx-editors are unusable, you fucking ain't seen OSCAR yet! <:-) The unusability knows no bounds in this one, it's basically a new definition of the term!...

I think I'd rather open a new thread about this than bumping this one with the dumb idea...
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Rebok/BOOM!/Tropyx
QuasaR/CENTRiC
Board Rider/Commodor..
aeeben
WVL/Xenon
The MeatBall