Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a plea from an old schooler
2010-07-17 16:03
STE'86

a plea from an old schooler

please dont use modified PAL emulating screenshots for pictures on this site.

people may want to use this site to download unmodified c64 art in gif or png format with pure pixel definition.

if they want to see the stuff in highly debatable pal emulation mode people can download the PRG files and view them in that mode on an emulator.

Thanks
Steve

... 167 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-08-19 07:06
STE'86

Oswald i will be a lot more likely to respect your "current" status when u get off your arse and give me a usable project one yeah? :P
2010-08-19 07:17
JCB
Account closed

@Deekay

Ok, fair enough but as I pointed out, as I'm actually coding on the C64 atm I consider myself active, the fact that you didn't know that isn't your fault of course. ;) If you want a release to make it valid I'll upload a preview of Knightlore or the SCPU fix I just did for Bubbler for one of the guys over at commodore bounty site. I've also released C64 related stuff in 2002 so I haven't been inactive since 88..

As for the 2nd paragraph of your post, and "But don't tell me these effects are not there.." that's not what I'm trying to do, I've just said so in my previous posts last night.

The point has been all along that if Ste didn't see an actual difference to his image produced by the extra blurring/new colours that the current PAL emulation (possibly using certain palettes) produces on his images then to him, at the time he did them (that pesky past tense again) those pixels/new colours didn't exist so the unfiltered image actually looks closer despite being technically incorrect as far as blending goes.

2010-08-19 07:20
chatGPZ

the point is: those new/mixed colors exist. on all and every pal display on the planet. there is no single way to not have them. end of story =)
2010-08-19 07:25
JCB
Account closed

Quote: the point is: those new/mixed colors exist. on all and every pal display on the planet. there is no single way to not have them. end of story =)

Deekay seems to disagree somewhat. You know PAL emulation (which is what we're supposed to be talking about here) isn't correct so if ONE pixel is wrong compared to how it would look on hardware that means that colour DOES NOT exist. Trying to boil this stuff down to PAL blending yes/no is pointless because everyone would answer yes, but yes to the wrong question.

2010-08-19 07:34
chatGPZ

thing is, the mixed colors part is 100% correct infact. only the horizontal blur is wrong (luma and chroma not handled seperately).

still kinda funny that we are still argueing about it, when in reality its most likely something completely different: old lumas vs new lumas. all of STEs pics look more "correct" with old lumas :)
2010-08-19 07:37
JCB
Account closed

Quote: thing is, the mixed colors part is 100% correct infact. only the horizontal blur is wrong (luma and chroma not handled seperately).

still kinda funny that we are still argueing about it, when in reality its most likely something completely different: old lumas vs new lumas. all of STEs pics look more "correct" with old lumas :)

Hey, I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up :P

Do the settings in the new VICE builds allow for old lumas etc?

2010-08-19 07:38
STE'86

excuse me but why exactly has this old thread been ressurected again anyway? surely as a mod groepaz you should be discouraging this not adding fuel to it?

and the whole point of the thread was i seem to remember "please don't store screenshots with pal emulation on them" this proved not to be the case in fact.

however the request is still valid as pics stored with PAL emulation on them can never be restored if their source is lost to their c64 state.

and to retrieve some of the older stuff thats exactly whats happened over the years. i personally have converted alot of 16 colour indexed gifs back to koala format to get a c64 file again.

so please feel free to apply whatever effect you want to the source image but dont archive like that or its useless.

Steve
2010-08-19 07:51
chatGPZ

"Do the settings in the new VICE builds allow for old lumas etc?"
ofcourse. vice 1.2 allowed it already =) in x64sc choose the old vic modell (that will also select old lumas), in x64 select old lumas in the vic settings (no idea where exactly in the windows version). and dont use an external palette ofcourse, then it wont work.

"excuse me but why exactly has this old thread been ressurectwed again anyway?"
lol? it has been started 4 weeks ago, thats hardly old =P

"surely as a mod groepaz you should be discouraging this not adding fuel to it?"
no? as a mod i am supposed to make sure that people follow the rules, not to step into a discussion which is hardly breaking rules at all.

"however the request is still valid as pics stored with PAL emulation on them can never be restored if their source is lost to their c64 state."
*sigh* not again =P screenshots arent ment for this, screenshots are solely there so you can see wth you are going to download. for anything else there is the binary. infact, if the todo list wouldnt already be long enough, the site might even be changed to create and render screenshots automatically, in a fixed palette, in whatever format. they are part of the presentation layer, not part of the archive.

and despite the entries without files from 10 years ago where files couldnt be uploaded - there is hardly a reason these days to have an entry with a screenshot and no file. which makes the whole "we might recreate pictures from screenshots" thing a bit pointless.

2010-08-19 08:08
JCB
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
"Do the settings in the new VICE builds allow for old lumas etc?"
ofcourse. vice 1.2 allowed it already =) in x64sc choose the old vic modell (that will also select old lumas), in x64 select old lumas in the vic settings (no idea where exactly in the windows version). and dont use an external palette ofcourse, then it wont work.

K, I'll have a play around with that. Of course it doesn't solve the problem of monitor calibration but at least lumas should be relative and ok.

Quoting Groepaz

and despite the entries without files from 10 years ago where files couldnt be uploaded - there is hardly a reason these days to have an entry with a screenshot and no file. which makes the whole "we might recreate pictures from screenshots" thing a bit pointless.

Unless of course they're converted from gif to koala and then run through a koa to prg maker. Now would that be allowed? The picture was released at some point but the method of delivery has changed by creating a new prg from it...
2010-08-19 08:12
chatGPZ

"Unless of course they're converted from gif to koala and then run through a koa to prg maker. Now would that be allowed? The picture was released at some point but the method of delivery has changed by creating a new prg from it..."
i have seriously no idea what you are trying to say with that. if the koala is there, then there is no reason to make a screenshot so you can recreate the koala from the screenshot. or did i miss something?
Previous - 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
ptoing
Airwolf/F4CG
jmin
CA$H/TRiAD
Oxbow/Xenon
Magic/Nah-Kolor