Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > SId Wizard - 'framespeed'
2013-12-17 16:20
mstram
Account closed

SId Wizard - 'framespeed'

What does the 'framespeed' setting do ?

How do you use it ?

I changed it, but there is no audible difference when I play the song.
2013-12-17 17:57
spider-j

Framespeed sets the number of times the music routine should be called in one frame. If you use *simple* intruments using only one waveform (or simple drum/bass mix instruments) it won't make any sense to change this from 1x to another value. But by changing values (i.e. switching waveforms) more than once a frame you can achieve some crazy sounds that can not be done when you use 1x speed.

I guess, you will understand/know what that feature is for, when you need it =)
2013-12-17 21:53
SIDWAVE
Account closed

you can try use 2x
then use this sound:

11 a0
11 90
11 80
11 70
11 30
11 20
11 10
11 00 loop

then try 4x..
basicly, thats how you use framespeed, multispeed.
longer wavetables, to create whatever sounds.
2013-12-18 03:29
mstram
Account closed

Was that example for Sid Wizard ? (I'm using ver 1.4)

What is it supposed to sound like ?

At 1x 2x or 4x, I just hear a triangle tone with a slight "chirp" / click.

Is it supposed to be some kind of arpeggio ?
2013-12-18 07:14
Oswald

here's a prime example of what you can do if a tune is called many time a frame: GRG in Cyberspace
2013-12-18 12:12
Isildur

Another example http://hvsc.perff.dk/MUSICIANS/T/Tel_Jeroen/Invest_intro.sid
crazy turntable scratches impossible at 1x speed.
2013-12-18 21:45
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Was that example for Sid Wizard ? (I'm using ver 1.4)

What is it supposed to sound like ?

At 1x 2x or 4x, I just hear a triangle tone with a slight "chirp" / click.

Is it supposed to be some kind of arpeggio ?

its just waveform + frequency, and just some suggestion to try out stuff and experience progress.
any editor can handle waveform + freq.

do the example, change it, make own stuff with other waveforms = learn
2013-12-19 16:24
Stainless Steel

My (arguably very limited) understanding of multispeed (x2 x4 or x8 doesnt really matter) is that
your instruments get played faster by the times of the framespeed.

I'm not talking about the BPM of the tune but the time it takes for the instrument to go from it's first waveform to it's last,
the speed of the progression over each step of the instruments programtable (not the notes in the sequencer).

This gives you a much finer granulation over the individual sounds the instrument is made up of, as they are played much faster consecutively
(x2, x3 whatever) than in standard (1x).

If your instrument consists of just 2 or 3 steps, of which the last one is looped then the audible difference wont be very noticeable. But if you start adding in more and more steps with different waveforms into the instruments program table (thus multispeed instruments can tend to grow rather large the faster the framespeed is) and loop more than just the last step (let's say loop the instruments last 5 steps) you will hear the difference. It can be rather tricky though.

Think of it kinda like a higher resolution in gfx modes but for sound. :-D

(I'm not entirely sure if this also applies to the pulse and filter programs too.)

I wouldn't get too concerned about multispeed stuff before you've mastered instrument design in standard 1x speed though. But that's just my opinion.

Some people have even made an art of designing singlespeed (1x) instruments that fool you into thinking they were multispeed
(take a look at some of linus or dane's stuff).

A way (not entirely reliably but still) to see if a particular sid tune is a single or multispeed
is to look in sidplay under properties if the timing is set to CIA or VBI.
2013-12-19 20:29
Hermit

@Mstram: First, if you need some more help you can PM/email me anytime.
SID-Wizard can handle multi-framespeed in the way X-SID does, the tune-tempo isn't affected by multispeed as you've probably noticed. You can check out my 'Lenore' cover to see an example how it sounds. The main advantage for me was the multispeed pulsewidth/filter-control (use $4x or $8x values in arp/chord speed-setting of a particular instrument for that) to create more fine grade sweeps in the sounds. But, for example, 'Rubicon' title music uses 2x speed to create that excellent snare sound.

Yep, instruments can go big in multispeed but you have 2 options to slow some instruments down if needed: The chord/arp-speed setting sets the whole WF-ARP table's speed in advance, while inside the WF-ARP table you can use 0..F values in the 1st column to wait for some cycles or slow chords down...

I agree with Stainless that first a good start could be to learn 1x sounds, you can achieve good results with them if you use careful Hard-restart and ADSR settings. For me the most crisp sound-starts usually come from 00F4/00F5 ADSR setting in Goattracker/SID-Wizard. You can do another trick to make very short sharp click at the beginning of drum-sounds, using 71 or some other waveforms with a very low frequency causes only a 'pop' when the sound wants to start, then next waveform-table entry takes its place.. You can check my 'Rastarok' tune (Arok 2013 invitation) for that kind of sounds, they can be achieved even in Light version of the player.
Many times the 1x speed is quite enough for good sounds, Linus is really a good example for that. And what's more, your tune will have better chance to be included in demo/intro productions if it takes less CPU...
Again, you can PM/email if need some help, but usually the best is to find out your own sounds for yourself with experimenting as SIDwave said....
2013-12-19 21:16
Linus

What Stainless said ... or the other way round :D

I started doing C64 music in 4x speed (by accident that is) and only later found out about the "benefits" of going for 1x speed. I had a pretty thorough understanding of subtractive synthesis and a *lot* of tracking experience (coming from the amiga) before tho.

In the end it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you're doing and really try to grasp how things work.

That being said, what are you waiting for? :)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
Guests online: 136
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)