Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > POLLY TRACKER VERSION 1.0
2005-07-17 15:04
Bamu®
Account closed

POLLY TRACKER VERSION 1.0

POLLY TRACKER VERSION 1.0 - Sample-based music editor for C-64

- 4 sample channels
- 4-9 kHz sample rate on each channel (C-2 = 8000 Hz)
- 8-bit internal mixing, 4-bit output on stock C-64
- Dynamic mixing based on polling the hardware timers, never skips a sample
- 48K reserved for sample data
- Loads 8-bit unsigned raw samples
- Edit options to adjust sample volume, trim sample end and octave upsample
- 6581/8580 ok, NTSC/PAL compatible and IDE64 friendly
- No SID voices used (except voice 3 output as sequencer sync :)
- Standalone player, module-to-executable and module-to-SID tools included

-------

Whoaaaaaaaaa! absolutely cooool!

What I miss: ;)

Some Soundtracker/Protracker/Fasttracker effects:
Arpeggio
Vibrato
.... and so on...

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-07-18 13:17
Hein

Allthough he probably never reads these posts, idd, a great tool, heatbeat, dah man.. never imagined 4 channel samples on such high quality would be possible.. I think the Netherworld 3 channel samples was most untill now, and those sounded not that bright.
2005-07-18 14:48
QuasaR

@nata: Maybe you should try Reflex-Tracker (http://inercia.dcc.online.pt/scene.org/parties/2002/northparty7..), it got only 2 voices, but afaik with 8-bit sampling. Shame on me that I didn't had the time to test Pollytracker yet...
2005-07-18 15:33
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Wow. Just wow. Polly Tracker kicks my ass and hands it to me on a plate. This is seriously fucking cool.

i do kinda wish i could use 2 sid channels as well, tho (i understand #3 is used for timing)
2005-07-18 17:33
Steppe

You mean 2 sid channels on top of the 4 digi channels? What prevents `you from doing it? Does the digi tracker use up the whole rastertime? Or would it cause distortions if you use normal sid voices on top of the digis?
2005-07-18 19:35
Bamu®
Account closed

What I meant: 3 voices would be better than 4 for further effects like in Reflex-Tracker...
and what's about looping instruments for strings...? Only solution is to made a long Sample ;(
I think, first tunes will sound really bad (and wasting memory), because effects would save me make & load different articulations of the sounds

It seems that Mod2SID doesn't work ?!?
After open in SIDedit there is just a wired load-range ($3643-3B0F)... or did I understand something wrong? :)

Nevertheless, good Tracker!
2005-07-18 19:47
Scout

Quote: What I meant: 3 voices would be better than 4 for further effects like in Reflex-Tracker...
and what's about looping instruments for strings...? Only solution is to made a long Sample ;(
I think, first tunes will sound really bad (and wasting memory), because effects would save me make & load different articulations of the sounds

After open in SIDedit there is just a wired load-range ($3643-3B0F)... or did I understand something wrong? :)

If you want to use soundlooping (for strings) you can do it yourself; find the looppoint in the sample and trigger the sample again and again in the tracker.
A bit spartan, but useable.

Edit:
Hmmm, I guess this tip only works when the looppoint is on an exact count or beat.
Silly me... :-/

R.
---
-= Silicon Ltd. =-
http://www.deco-design.com/scl
2005-07-18 20:47
Hein

Quote: What I meant: 3 voices would be better than 4 for further effects like in Reflex-Tracker...

Guess we'll have to improvise with what we got..
2005-07-20 05:01
aeeben

I tried sample looping, but it adds a lot of complexity to the player. Now the mixer loop is tight and tidy.

Maybe looping could be implemented on one channel only, then it wouldn't take too much cycles or turn the player into a mess.

Or a dirty loop command could be added, which retrigs the sample at n * $0100 from sample start.

You can actually do (slow) arpeggios by using a double tempo and tied notes (shift + key). Tied notes are shown without the instrument number and they only change the pitch, without trigging the sample.

Halve/double volume could be easily done on the first channel, if sample format is first changed to 6-bit signed (now it's 6-bit unsigned).

Some other easy-to-do commands that could be added to later versions:
- Tempo change
- Pitch detune, crude 'slide' called only once every step
- Main volume change, requires allocating one block of sample memory for each volume level used
- Sample bank switch command to allow using more than 15 samples
- Sounds which could reuse the sample data from other sounds, but with a start offset

Tape/Extend demonstrated 5-bit sample playback on new SID by using the channel 3 mute bit (in volume register) and raising the waveform of channel 3 to a certain level with test bit and sawtooth waveform so that the mute bit becomes the lowest 5th bit of DAC - this would be very nice for Polly mixer, but then the SID channel 3 cannot be used for timing. Maybe the sequencer timing could be done by leaving one of the timers running and adding the timer latch value to a counter every time the timer interrupt flag is set.

Covox support should be easy to do too, only replace the current cliptable and write out address & set the port bit directions at init.

MOD2SID should work ok, but I have only tested it with Sidplay2w. There is a 2-second delay at start from the sample depacking.

Polly Tracker 1.1 fixes some bugs, get it in the releases section.
2005-07-20 05:08
aeeben

Quote: Guess we'll have to improvise with what we got..

I'll probably release the source code later, if someone wants to add some features there.

Unfortunately the editor part is quite messy and size-optimizing is needed before you can add any new functionality to it. At the moment there's only 8 bytes free... But of course you could take a couple of blocks from the sample memory which is now at $1000-$cfff.
2006-10-23 19:53
Bamu®
Account closed

Quote: I'll probably release the source code later, if someone wants to add some features there.

Unfortunately the editor part is quite messy and size-optimizing is needed before you can add any new functionality to it. At the moment there's only 8 bytes free... But of course you could take a couple of blocks from the sample memory which is now at $1000-$cfff.

Guess, now it's later...
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TheEnemy/TREX/THD
Jope/Extend
Scooby/G★P/Light
Durandal
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
CA$H/TRiAD