Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Born in the wrong decade?
2006-09-14 12:39
faux
Account closed

Born in the wrong decade?

I am an experimental musician, so inherently, I'm always looking for new ways to express myself (sometimes by rehashing the old). I am familiar with certain C64 musicians (Hubbard, MON, F.A.M.E., !Cube) just from being a fan of videogames and chiptune music itself. I've found myself using 8-bit and SID sounds in a good deal of my own music lately, although I've not been able to use the actual sound chips themselves, only VST emulations.

Ofcourse some of these VST emulations sound incredibly great, but I felt guilty because there are many people who still spend many hours doing it 'the hard way'.

That's what brings me here. I'd like to learn about making actual chiptunes, and not just songs that SOUND NES / Famicon or C64. I'll admit, I've never owned a Commodore or even saw one personally -- they're hard to find anywhere but eBay or someone's attic under piles and piles of stuff in the US, apparently. I am slightly familiar with how SID chips generally work through usage of pretty accurate emulations, but I'd like to learn any and everything I can about using trackers or any other inexpensive method of making chiptunes.

Being a kid from the 80's (although my time in the decade was rather short compared to most people here), I naturally find a great nostalgic and maybe even romantic value in old school video game music. If there is anyone here who would like to help me become enlightened and educated, give me some pointers or good advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you would like me to be more specific about anything, just ask, and I'll try to explain in better detail.

Thanks!
2006-09-14 12:52
chatGPZ

try goattracker for a start...
2006-09-14 13:07
faux
Account closed

Thanks!

I should note that although I have used SID VST's, they're rarely ever if at all much like using a tracker. I have absolutely no experience in programming a SID, so if you know of any good tutorials or any pertinent texts that may help, please share.
2006-09-14 13:15
Oswald

this is probably too detailed and techy but better than nothing

http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426444/
2006-09-14 14:48
CreaMD

Quote: Thanks!

I should note that although I have used SID VST's, they're rarely ever if at all much like using a tracker. I have absolutely no experience in programming a SID, so if you know of any good tutorials or any pertinent texts that may help, please share.

There are also example tunes in GoatTracker plus quite decent text manual (but of course judged from point of view of someone who already knew the environment and terminology). Anyway. From your words it seems that you are a decent and grown-up person. I'm quite sure that you will get all the support and a quick and helpful response anytime you ask.

2006-09-14 14:54
cadaver

I would recommend Goattracker V1.x or RawGoat first, 'cos they skip one additional complexity (the speedtable for portamentos & vibratos)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Dymo/G★P
Røly/Mayday!
Krill/Plush
bOOZElEE
Oswald/Resource
Matt