Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > goattracker question
2006-09-24 01:13
Tim
Account closed

goattracker question

Hi..

After getting nostalgic I decided to give goattracker another try (after a poorly failed attempt in 2005).. so i've forced myself to actually compose 1 tune just for old times sake :)

just a short question which is driving me nuts!
I've looked everywhere to figure this one out, but I can not find a way to change volume.

I can find the Command DXY to change master volume, but I can not find the command to change volume in a channel.
(for instance to increase/decrease volume on drums/hihat only)

Any possibility of me just simply overseeing the obvious?

cheers
Tim

... 7 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-09-24 20:38
Hein

Quote: adjusting the volume of the different instruments was a major problem for me aswell...its just fiddling with adsr until everything is more or less ok :=P

hey, you a producer now?
2006-09-24 22:46
Tim
Account closed

Quote: Please, let us participate in your composition....

well.. sigh i hate to admit that I could use some help

http://www.mysticcreations.nl/c64/temp.zip

I'm trying to make something based on the tune "funktest.sng" and have run into some trouble.

first of all something's wrong starting the tune.
So I first have to load "funktest", play it (f1) for 1 second, then stop it (f4), then load my temp tune with f10, and then play it... then it does run the way i wanted it.

It only contains a few tracker pages which I have done so far whilst testing.. so ignore the simplicity, it mainly just testing although I love the first 2 pages :)

however, once it loops back to the beginning the sounds are fucked and out of timing.. so have to restart the procedure again as mentioned above.

must say that I am quite happy noticing upfront that due to the tracker style it's easier to spot empty gaps to 'cheat' the channels.. (thank god.. no more dur.02 dur.04 dur.02 and writing sheets op paper to find a timing gap etc) will have to spend some time on doing that later on in finetuning once I get some more 'body' on the tune.

Any comments or help or editing or whatever is appreciated :)

Come to think of it.. anyone wanting to duo up to do a tune is welcome to drop me a mail.. i'm getting a serious itch to get active again :D

2006-09-24 22:47
Tim
Account closed

ps.. any disks filled with sounds available anywhere?
2006-09-25 06:34
CreaMD

Quote: well.. sigh i hate to admit that I could use some help

http://www.mysticcreations.nl/c64/temp.zip

I'm trying to make something based on the tune "funktest.sng" and have run into some trouble.

first of all something's wrong starting the tune.
So I first have to load "funktest", play it (f1) for 1 second, then stop it (f4), then load my temp tune with f10, and then play it... then it does run the way i wanted it.

It only contains a few tracker pages which I have done so far whilst testing.. so ignore the simplicity, it mainly just testing although I love the first 2 pages :)

however, once it loops back to the beginning the sounds are fucked and out of timing.. so have to restart the procedure again as mentioned above.

must say that I am quite happy noticing upfront that due to the tracker style it's easier to spot empty gaps to 'cheat' the channels.. (thank god.. no more dur.02 dur.04 dur.02 and writing sheets op paper to find a timing gap etc) will have to spend some time on doing that later on in finetuning once I get some more 'body' on the tune.

Any comments or help or editing or whatever is appreciated :)

Come to think of it.. anyone wanting to duo up to do a tune is welcome to drop me a mail.. i'm getting a serious itch to get active again :D

You are using funktempo.. how about if you read the instructions first. ;-)) They aren't that long. Try to check especially all track commands.
2006-09-25 21:11
Tim
Account closed

grin.. oh come on.. what would be the fun in that ? :)

the problem with instructions to any player is that people who write them asume that one knows how to use one or more other players prior to using the one the instructions are written for.

for instance the volume question:
"Command 6XY: Set sustain/release register to value XY."

I am sure it makes sence.. but to me it doesn't (so your help concerning volume was previously well appreciated)

So my best bet is that now you are now referring to:
Command EXY: Funktempo. Will alternate between tempos X and Y on subsequent pattern steps. Sets the funktempo active on all channels...

which I seriously do not understand either.. but thanks for the tip all the same!

I can see "EA6" being used.. but what does this do/mean? (putting that command at the start of my tune doesn't change anything.. still no sound).

Hmm.. last but not least, what makes it difficult for me.. I am more or less self taught in anything on c64 in all skills.. but sometimes there's just that much you can do by trial and error :(

Thanks for any other pointers ;)

2006-09-25 21:18
cadaver

Actually, GT instructions do not assume familiarity with other C64 music programs, but state this:

"Familiarity with tracker programs in general, hexadecimal notation, and the
C64's SID chip are required. Consult the C64 Programmer's Reference Guide
(http://project64.c64.org) or AAY64 (http://www.the-dreams.de/aay.html) for
SID chip reference."

Many years ago I started by testing simple SID stuff in C64's Basic and I don't believe that hurts anybody who wants to compose for C64.

And, either you take that EA6 out (replace with normal tempo command, like F08 to set tempo 8 globally) or start with another example tune.. unless you really want to have the shuffle feel (funktempo, in this case alternating tempos A and 6) in your first tune
2006-09-25 21:42
chatGPZ

Quote:
hey, you a producer now?

i've been playing with making (mostly horrible =P) tunes since i'm into c64 stuff =) (some even ended up in hvsc, just have a look =))

i might do a tune for the compo at X, just like i did in 1998 :) (the tune is done actually, its just way too long for a compo so i gotta make a short mix or something).
2006-09-25 22:40
Tim
Account closed

Quote: Actually, GT instructions do not assume familiarity with other C64 music programs, but state this:

"Familiarity with tracker programs in general, hexadecimal notation, and the
C64's SID chip are required. Consult the C64 Programmer's Reference Guide
(http://project64.c64.org) or AAY64 (http://www.the-dreams.de/aay.html) for
SID chip reference."

Many years ago I started by testing simple SID stuff in C64's Basic and I don't believe that hurts anybody who wants to compose for C64.

And, either you take that EA6 out (replace with normal tempo command, like F08 to set tempo 8 globally) or start with another example tune.. unless you really want to have the shuffle feel (funktempo, in this case alternating tempos A and 6) in your first tune

@Cadaver

Grin.. but that actually makes it more complicated :)

Having said that.. the "doesnt hurt" remark referring to sid stuff in basic was not that kind mate.. Just check my handle under csdb to find some releases that were nicely received in the past :(

I just seriously don't have a clue on whatever funktempo means.. could you simplify the explenation to me?

Do me a favour.. please load up funktest play and stop after 1 second.. then load my tune and tell me that pattern 27+28 followed by 29+2a stinks, sounds lame, etc.. if so: i'll never ask another question again concerning goattracker and figure it all out just by trial and error :)

I seriously like this tracker, so I will figure it out somehow! It has many things I hoped for one day would be in a player so i'm not complaining.. it's just more complex then what I was used to! (in the past I once started using future composer & romuzak for the absolute basics such as a 1 channel + drum and later during 1992 - 1998 i used dmc 1.2, dmc 4.0 and dmc 5.0.. goattracker beats those by far!)

Cheers
Tim

2006-09-25 23:03
cadaver

Well, if controlling a note's volume via sustain doesn't feel familiar, then your grasp of SID basics is lacking, no way around that. But it was just a general remark, not really directed to anyone specifically. And of course the same testing could be done with M/L, if that's more 3733t.

Actually the instrument B doesn't have pulse initialization in it (pulsetable pointer 00), so it depends on some pulsetable program running on the channel previously, which is of course highly improbable. Use some instrument with non-zero pulsepointer on the channel first.

Funktempo = play even numbered steps of pattern with tempo X, and odd numbered steps of pattern with tempo Y.
2006-09-25 23:22
Tim
Account closed

grin.. cadaver, i'm 30 these days.. basic is such a long time ago :D

gotcha on the funktempo thingie.. which also explains why I had a 'funny' timing feeling doing some other bits here and there which didn't sound exactly how i had imagined.. hmm.. interesting!!!

all in all thanks! helps me on the way again.

ps, any other .sng files available to browse around for ideas and "how on earth did they do those effects" to teach myself a bit more?
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Ko-Ko
Grue/Extend
Dymo/G★P
Murphy/Exceed
FABS/HF
Guests online: 107