Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Your favourite tune? (from UNPOPULAR composers ONLY)
2010-06-04 14:07
Conrad

Your favourite tune? (from UNPOPULAR composers ONLY)

In the infamous "Your favourite tune?" topic, everyone most of the time state their favourite tunes from composers that have either made history (like Rob Hubbard, Jeroen Tel, Martin Galway etc) or extremely good composers of today's scene (like DRAX, Jeff, Linus etc).

However, what is your favourite tune from UNPOPULAR musicians? i.e. sceners who were not known well during any timeline of the c64 scene, no matter how skilled they were. You know the ones I am talking about... simply have a look at how big the MUSICIANS directory is in the HVSC collection. There must have been times when you took a peek at a sid directory belonging to someone you have never heard of, yet you thought "Hey, that's a great tune! Shame this musician was never known too well in the scene at the time."

I think this would help give credit to those who never got fame with their contributions to the scene.

... 64 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-09-16 23:20
Sampaguita
Account closed

One of my favorites is "Blue Eyes":
http://www.c64.org/HVSC/MUSICIANS/D/DOS/Blue-eyes.sid

2010-09-17 07:27
abaddon
Account closed

I love almost everything by Deadman. Brilliant SID programming and very skillful composing. Hard to believe his work has stayed relatively obscure all these years.
2010-09-17 08:19
MC
Account closed

Scroll Machine by Yip has always been in my top 3 of best SID choons. The later incarnations of this song were rather bad tho imo.

Yeah I guess I do prefer slow paced tunes over the fast bassline and lots of drums stuff. Am also a big fan of Matt Galway.

Yip came over to our place while visiting the Netherlands and was absolutely amazed with the fact that sometimes we put chocolate flakes on our bread at breakfast. We had some good laughs. He's a really nice lad.
2010-09-17 09:20
Stainless Steel

Anthony Lees. His stuff for Last Ninja and Rainbow Dragon was awesome.
2010-09-17 10:19
abaddon
Account closed

Quote: Anthony Lees. His stuff for Last Ninja and Rainbow Dragon was awesome.

I agree. The ghost level tune has got to be one of the best SIDs ever.
2010-09-17 10:51
SIDWAVE
Account closed

The last 3 posts are off topic :)

MC: bonk bonk!!! Martin Galway, not Matt ... bonk!
2010-09-17 11:53
Linus

I like Martin Furniss, Tim Hubbard and Jan Diabelez Arent Lund.
2010-09-17 22:49
GT
Account closed

Bob Yannes.
2010-09-18 12:35
MC
Account closed

Matt is short for Martin BONK
2010-09-19 18:14
Rough
Account closed

I want to point out two musicians who arent really unfamous but forgotten:

Mixer/Origo Dreamline
my favourite ones are Red Eyes, Hellraiser and the incredible The Dawn, all of them have a (let me call it) hard impact with a push for extraoridinary demo parts from Origo and Beyond Force,e.g. The Dawn used in TNT's Star Rats part in Partytrap/BF is just greatly fitting and both with TNT's design doing a great atmosphere. I also like the slower Ikari and Talent Tune which I think got never used by them.

And then my absolute favourite
I can listen to his tracks for hours without being bored, he is never mentioned in any most liked lists and his compositions beat out the mysticism style of certain Galway tunes. Not to forget when he does an avantgardistic track of up to ten minutes, I cant think of any other to get close.

He's been thou in one of the best demo groups ever and his name is Rage of Megastyle Inc.

Go into his HVSC dir and start with the first track (Aaaargh_part_2) but keep listening, you'll be deeply excited. His tracks sound like a mixture of Galway, 1983 tunes and Best-of-Voicetracker. And already the second (Aaargh_part_4) is one of my mega favourites, the melody and rhythm are so damn catchy. When I'm asked for my fav music (outside the scene) I often mention him too, ofcourse everyone say "What?", but this tune is a big reason to do so.
Or take Abba.sid starting with a very average bass/rhythm and transformating into a fantastic song when the melody starts, although bass&rhythm remains the same all over the song. Then for a trip on it's own it must be Doom3.sid or Harlot6.sid just listen and throw away your lame Pink Floyd vinyls. Then his master work, the sound track to Kalle Kloak, a demo perfectly set together by Scroll, Sparkler and Rage. Kalle_Kloak_part_8.sid wheeling your brain into outer dimensions beyond the future of computerism (no, I'm not stoned or drunk). Then one of the saddest and gripping tunes ever done on the machine. The Mariners_Tale.sid, just listen and you will know why not everything is negative. Also listen to all his other tracks, none of it may be forgotten.

thanks to this guy for many hours of pure sid enjoyment in my crazy life.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Linus/MSL
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
da Blondie/Resource
CA$H/TRiAD
qbhead
Impetigo/Crescent