Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Looking for helper for upcoming SID Compo(s) (mp3 recording / hosting)
2012-11-21 16:00
CreaMD

Looking for helper for upcoming SID Compo(s) (mp3 recording / hosting)

Anyone interested in this kind of slavework? I would like to make the compo as anonymous as possible, and thus while submission and voting phase will run, only mp3 recording will be available. It will also save us from problems with tunes released without credits. All tunes that will be submitted will be requested to have all final credits in them (including credits in player code) so there will be only one version of the tune (.sid) available at the end.

thanx in advance for help & suggestions

roman

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-11-22 05:39
la_mettrie

Those Nectarine folks have their own hosting & compo platform. Dunno if it would be reasonable to ask if they would like to co-operate (for contacts make Nectarine account at scenemusic.net and send msg to Rams)

Compo page: http://scenecompos.net
Nectarine: https://www.scenemusic.net/
2012-11-22 10:02
CreaMD

Scene compos looks like simple page for compo announcements and storage of compopacks, but I need something more flexible so I will stick to my style. I will go with reverbnation.com as host for MP3, if there isn't any generous offer from sceners to host the files (for which I would then make my own player). Reverbnation looks quite compatible with my needs.
2012-11-22 10:55
Linus

I could host the files and also help with coding any web related stuff for the compo, if necessary.

Still, I do not really see the necessity to not make .sid files available. Was the anonymity issue really such a big one in past compos? Not sure about that.

In a *C64* related music competition I for one would really welcome having .sid/.prg files available instantly. That's like the salt in a soup, hands down.

2012-11-22 10:56
la_mettrie

Quote: Scene compos looks like simple page for compo announcements and storage of compopacks, but I need something more flexible so I will stick to my style. I will go with reverbnation.com as host for MP3, if there isn't any generous offer from sceners to host the files (for which I would then make my own player). Reverbnation looks quite compatible with my needs.

(just in case you did not notice, scenecompos.net has also possibility to listen to tracks in a similar fashion as Soundcloud [go to a page of some compo which has ended and press "stats & tracks". comments from voters for individual tracks can be seen by pressing "show track details" on that page])
2012-11-22 11:25
CreaMD

franz_koopa, listening! cool, yes I didn't expect it on next page. I would have exepected opening the compo page and geting right to the stuff. No sharing though ;-( Also it's kind too space wasting the way how it is designed. If they add sharing, I'm in. Thanx for hint.
Roman
2012-11-22 11:45
CreaMD

Linus, C64 musicians use various players, some of them are unique. Also some players allow comments in code. But the non/anonymity is not that much of issue.

2 other important reasons

1. Having recording from original C64 makes it more spreadable/shareable accross the internet and social networks. With MP3 format you don't have to transfer the tune into C64 to give it justice of listening to it on real thing (aka, how it was inteded to sound on real thing (6581, 8580) and not on emulator. MP3 can be played on anything from phone, mp3 player to pc, so everyone can check the tunes and pick their favorites more comfortably.

Sharing and getting the word out is very important for me. I want everyone around to get chance to listen to some new things even by accident, when some of their friends will share them on their wall as their favorites. Also the composers can tell their friends, see it's my new tune in that compo. If you like it, go vote.

2. I'm trying to make the the compo management more efficient. In past I had to keep credited sid, unceredited sid, and MP3 (if we had mp3). Check inside of every tune if there aren't some composer's singatures etc. Clean it. Also uncredited PRG was sometimes made. There was problem, that such tunes got spread in uncredited form. There were two versions of the same music file. One clean, one signed. I was doing voting packs (d64 with uncredited versions of the tune in naive belief that people will have listening sessions on real machine and then vote (I don't thing there were many of them except of me ;-) It was messy to get the compo organised this way.

-----

New concept is more straigtforward. Get just one credited file from the musician. C64 executable. Get it recorded. Make MP3. Put somewhere. Add to the list. In the end make a zip with all MP3 get it spread for those who want to have listening / voting sessions.

In the end pack all executables on D64 ordered, release.
2012-11-22 11:59
CreaMD

And thanx for the hosting offer. I need that for downloads and voting pack so it's 100% chance I will get in touch with you. As for help with web related stuff, I wish we had a page and maintaing page with all old sidcompos, musics conveniently ordered and listeneable. etc. But I can't force anyone to do that in their free time.
2012-11-22 12:40
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

If you don't mind the recording being done using a HardSID, then I'd love to record the songs for you.

(Alternatively, I can record it off real machines too...)
2012-11-22 13:22
Moloch

Hosting downloads could also be handled with an account on Dropbox. They allow 10gb of data transfer per day from the open directories in your account with a free account.
2012-11-22 15:26
CreaMD

Mr.Ammo: thanx for offer. Recording of real machines would be preffered. I don't know how exact nad glitch free is the emulation of music player code across emulators. Some tunes will be probably .SID, some will be .prg I suppose.

Moloch: 10 gb sounds good. The data would be stored on local machine? Coz there can be other things (like provider restrictions/speed).

roman
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
radius75
grennouille
Guests online: 74
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)