Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Locked Entries
2002-02-17 14:36
Seven

Locked Entries

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or a design flaw =) ...
When I lock a group, others can still add members to it.
Shouldn't it be possible to prevent others from adding anything to that group, be it members or releases or anything else?

Also, it would be useful to lock the releases of a group _with_ the group so I won't have to go through all the releases and set the maintainer?

... 26 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-02-25 07:57
Seven

I'm not sure if I'm agressive, but if so, it's not because of the database, but because some people just don't get the point...

what world is it you live in where all sceners are friends? we had wars between sceners and groups in the good old days, and even today some people can't stand each other, so get real...

but back to the topic.... the Locked Entries suggestion I did make was not to keep other people from adding things to the database, but to ensure a certain level of correctness...
there IS a locking feature, and it has been around for quite a while, I'm sure you all are aware of that, and it's a good thing, and it should stay, noone argued that so far...

I just want to ensure, that the data added to the database is as correct as possible, so if someone is/was the founder/organizer or whatever of a group and should know best about what went on in that group, who joined and what productions they got out, it should be left to him to add these things, if he's willing to....

and if he's willing to add all that, let him lock the whole thing so others won't add wrong data to the group... and I'm glad Perff is going along with that idea...

yes, a checkbox would be nice, I also like CreamD's suggestion about the confirmation of data others added to a group... this way people can add stuff if they think they have to, and the maintainer can still have control over what is shown...

and once more back to commander: I explained to CyberBrain in private message why I'd prefer him to delete the data he copied from the webpage, because I didn't think it'd be of anyone's interest, but since you go on being pissy about things, here's to you...

the info on our webpage is far from complete and might change in the future as soon as I find the time to rewrite things and talk to the other persons involved... with CyberBrain copying the (incomplete) texts from our webpages and adding it to CSDb I'd have to notify him of every single change so the data on CSDb can be corrected/completed, since he'd be the only one able to change his own comment entry...
in addition to that, he copied both, the abreviated text from our production index page aswell as the longer text from the detail page into one comment, which results in duplicate info and hardly made any sense...

I can't tell anyone not to comment on our productions, but my own comment should be my own, and not added by someone else, so that I can edit and change as _I_ see fit...

leaving my own texts for me to edit is a way of showing respect and being polite, dear commander...

CyberBrain understood that and was kind enough to act accordingly... so why can't _you_ understand that?
2002-02-25 11:58
CreaMD

"what world is it you live in where all sceners are friends? we had wars between sceners and groups in the good old days, and even today some people can't stand each other, so get real..."

This inspired me to suggest a "wannabe improvement idea" for such purposes ;-)

The option:

"I know this scener, and I would like to add (nasty) comment on him"

;-)
2002-02-25 12:38
chatGPZ

creamd, you know what? FICKEN! :o)
2002-02-25 14:41
Commander
Account closed

Seven, I understand you very well! I only hope that this database won't become a database for the so-called elite only... And it is my opinion : if there is going to be too much locking, then this database won't last long.
2002-02-25 16:17
Seven

I agree, it makes no sense if someone locks everything he adds.

Locking should only be done by people who have a definite grasp on what was/is going on in a group, e.g. people lock their personal entry, group members/leaders lock their own group etc.

Why would I set myself as maintainer for e.g. the Smash Design entry (other than to show them how much I like them ;))?
2002-03-02 09:44
Steppe

My two cents to commander:
You're clearly underestimating the human factor here, with this mass of contributors this database is prone to have lots of errors. The point is not to add information _fast_ but to do it correctly!
I'd therefore als prefer the idea of the maintainer getting notified by e-mail if there was a change to his locked entry in order for him to aprove it. This would make _fast_ adding possible and at the same time ensure correctness. I don't consider the people discussing here to be *too* representative for the whole scene, there might be a lot of lazy MFs out there that just come here only once, add their group, lock it and forget about it for the rest of the year. Does anyone agree on that eventually?

So:

Complete Locking: No, unless the person wishing to completely lock the entry gets approved by the database maintainers and clearly states that the entry is finished, i.e. all the members/credits/releases are complete.

E-Mail Notification to aprove changes _before_ they apply: Yes, if that is practicable and wouldn't be too much of a burden for the NoName guys, that means the notication task can be automated by the database.
2002-03-02 13:13
Commander
Account closed

Nice idea, Steppe!
2002-03-03 14:59
Perff
Administrator

I see the need for some changes in the way the maintainer thing works.
I've read what you have to say and have some comments.

It's very easy to notify either by email or the CSDb msg system the maintainers of a record when something is changes, but to make it so that the maintainers need to confirm the change before it is made for real is not so easy.

My sugestion is that people edit like they do now, and then the maintainers can go back and change back if someone make some crap.

Maintainers can then also choose to lock an entry 100% or keep it open (with notifications on edits)

If someone wan't something chaned in a 100% locked entry they should contact the maintainers of that record.

?
2002-03-03 18:23
CreaMD

Sounds reasonable to me.

roman
2002-03-03 18:44
Moloch

I've locked entries for groups I was never a member of - why? Because I'm one of the only guys entering NTSC (mainly demo group) information. From experience most PAL sceners didn't/don't have a clue about the former NTSC demo scene and I don't want people screwing with information I know is correct.

I was a staff member on nearly every NTSC demo magazine and friends (I use that term loosely - Seven is correct about the attitude issues in the scene) with nearly everyone ever active. Plus, as people that know me can attest, I was a major group hopper - changing groups every couple of months.

I agree with some of the ideas here - the maintainer should have final say and an email system of sorts should be included for information entered by a non-maintainer.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/ibex-crew
icon/The Silents, Sp..
Acidchild/Padua
Martin Piper
Krill/Plush
Guests online: 154