Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Locked Entries
2002-02-17 14:36
Seven

Locked Entries

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or a design flaw =) ...
When I lock a group, others can still add members to it.
Shouldn't it be possible to prevent others from adding anything to that group, be it members or releases or anything else?

Also, it would be useful to lock the releases of a group _with_ the group so I won't have to go through all the releases and set the maintainer?

... 26 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-02-23 19:49
Celtic
Administrator

just to add something, remember, this is a beta version, it is not finsished yet, and the coders still have an inmense task of changing things to this.. nobody wants mistakes, but shit happens.. damn, why is everybody always whining when something nice happens..
2002-02-23 20:14
CyberBrain
Administrator

about not adding trivia to things allready on the net:

Well, it is ofcause not the *top* priority, but it still should be a priority to gather as much information about the releases as possible in one place - in CSDb. (+ the user doesn't have to browse through 1000 webpages)

(it would also be kind a' wrong, i think, to not add screenshots, credits or download-links (etc) just because they're allready on a website.)

2002-02-24 12:01
Seven

celtic: yes, I'm very aware of the fact that this is still beta, and when you check my original posting to this topic, you will probably notice, that this started as a suggestion to improve the database...

CyberBrain: yes, it should be priority to add as much data as possible, but again... the goal of CSDb should _not_ be to make group webpages obsolete... some people spent quite some time gathering info on their own group, building up their own webpage to preserve the things about their own particular group and make it available to public... by simply copying the data from their pages so that (quote on) the user doesn't have to browse through 1000 webpages (quote off) you not only saved yourself the trouble of digging deeper into the disk boxes and the scene, you also discourage building group webpages ... when people get all the info on CSDb anyway, why should I even bother updating my own site?

give it a thought... I still think CSDb is a good idea, but when it's all about copying from already existing sources on the web instead of preserving data that so far lies dormant on C64 disks, I might very well change my mind about how good this idea really is...

P.S.: I'm posting this under a new topic aswell since the way this discussion turns hardly has anything to do with the original topic anymore... so if you want to reply to this, please do so under the new topic... thanks
2002-02-24 12:59
CyberBrain
Administrator

Yes back to the topic. Should locked entries be 100% locked or as it is now, or somewhere inbetween.
2002-02-24 13:17
Seven

I'd say 100%, except for user comments, of course...
everything less is as good as not locking at all...

maybe there could be a two-level lock, first level just locks the group/scener/production entry itself, second level locks it completely, also preventing others from adding members, credits and alike...
2002-02-24 13:28
Perff
Administrator

I like that idea.
Perhaps adding a checkbox to the edit page with which the maintainers then can choose is it's possible to add credits/memberships etc. to this entry?
2002-02-24 13:57
CreaMD

1. How about if maintainer of the locked entry was set as a person who will confirm/deny additional changes by the other people. He could be informed about the new additions throught E-mail.

And as far as changelog is conerned. By making it visible for registered users you will make the database editing more transparent. It's not a question of blaming anyone for adding stuff to database, it's more about letting users to keep an eye over the quality of the databse. For instance, I've changed Ben Daglish entry to BIMBAS as it had his data under his name, then someone changed it back, so I've changed Ben Daglish's country from Slovakia to England. If there were more users knowing that this happened, for sure someone could notice where is the problem and either send me to hell or correct my mistake. But now the whole thing dependeds on the admin of the site, who can't know everything about everyone so how he will decide about whether to leave changes or reject back to older data.

Cyber, that visible changelog was just a suggestion, you don't have to accept it, but overreacting won't help you you to persuade anyone about your opinion.
2002-02-24 14:31
Commander
Account closed

CyberBrain is right about everything. If we go on with reacting like Seven then this database has no meaning anymore. If some people go on with this kind of reactions, then I even don't support it anymore. I liked the system like it is lately. With that locking-thing there are so many aggressive reactions. We in the scene need to be friends, but the reactions I see in these forum makes more enemies then friends.
When I see that Seven didn't like the adding of info from CyberBrain, then I ask myself if it is still something to support because then some people are driving it too far.
Some people should be lucky if other people add info before they do, so things go faster in this database!!!!
If the locking-thing is getting too far, I quit the support; I mean that. I thought this all was meant as a database (with support) and brought us scene people as friends together. But this is no friendship, why do we have to act so aggressive???
2002-02-24 16:03
Celtic
Administrator

commander... seven is not reacting agresively. he is just trying to start a discussion how to make it better, in fact i think he is doing a great job by giving the danish nonamers ideas to perfect and improve this database... i just say thumbs up to seven. he is actually being involved in it.. and it is good to see that.
the database is for everyone... and therefor eventually it should contain everything.. including information on other webpages. but i do not think it will make other pages obsolete, coz f.e. the digital excess page is something someone should check out because it is a nice and cool page...
maybe we should be able to vote on cool webpages??
2002-02-24 22:23
Commander
Account closed

A really nice discussion if you read everything above...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Jazzcat/Onslaught
Laurent
Grue/Extend
Guests online: 120
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)