Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Privacy
2002-08-20 21:11
Mixer
Account closed

Privacy

Recently, I have grown aware of the possibilities of misuse of personal information, therefore I have sought to remove any of my personal information away from public websites and such databases which I do not find secure, trustworthy or necessary.

Today has been the 1st time that I have entered the CSDb. Albeit a nice and honourable purpose to collect such a database, the road to hell is covered with good intentions. I can only speculate where my information has been collected from, rumours? It was mostly wrong and after this non-existent for other than what me with the alias Mixer have done in demoscene, which I think is the main purpose of the database.

I suggest that the database creators make sure that none of the personal information in this database gets to search bots, and all queries are logged, also secure connections sould be set to use in data transfer, and permissions asked from the persons listed in the database by anyone adding someone others personal information to the db. If this is too much to ask, then the creators do not know what they are doing.

I am quite serious about privacy issues and want to deliver this opinion to all of you to discuss. Spam is the least that can happen.¨You're right, I could go on with this for pages.

... 6 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-08-23 23:39
Rough
Account closed

i'd really like to know what more serious can happen than spam? getting brought to judical court for C64 pirating in the year 2002? your neighbour knowing that you are using computers?

and spamming cant happen due to SPAM.SUX protection.
2002-08-24 07:28
TDJ

Jayce, ofcourse there's a difference between those mags (where people asked for their addresses to be published, and which were read by only a very small number of people) and a public database on internet (where people's addresses are published withour their consent, and the possibility of webspiders picking them up is very real).

rough: it's not just the email addresses, but also the real addresses. There are several reasons why somebody wouldn't want their home address to be known. And maybe it's no problem for you, but you can't decide that for anybody else, hence the safest thing to do is to make sure that such information can only be entered by the person itself. So everybody can decide for him/herself if he wants his/her home address & telephone number etc. published here.

The rules that Mixer brought up aren't there for nothing, you know ..
2002-08-24 11:10
Seven

two words of something that could happen and in fact is worse than spam:

phone terror

just to help you people understand =)

2002-08-24 12:27
TDJ

Seven, very nice, I've been wasting many words, and you get it done in two .. bastard :)
2002-08-24 23:56
Rough
Account closed

Quote: two words of something that could happen and in fact is worse than spam:

phone terror

just to help you people understand =)

phone terror? quite irrealistic I guess. i mean i could also pick a number from the phone book and do that. i know there are also weirdos in the 64 scene though.

tdj, you got me wrong. it's very sure for me that everyone must decide him/herself to have his personal info published or not, I just don't believe in the high risks of them being published. except for receiving commercial crap i cant think of anything which is realistic to happen.
2002-08-29 05:40
Seven

well, yes.. if you'd just wanted to do some phone terror, you could probably also dial random numbers until you got one that finally connects... blah...

but annoying one particular person is way easier to do when you got the right number, hm?
2002-08-30 20:28
Rough
Account closed

if I want to terrorize a particular person, e.g. Mixer I do the effort and load an old Origo demo to find his address which easily leads me to his phone-number
2002-08-31 08:52
TDJ

Quote: if I want to terrorize a particular person, e.g. Mixer I do the effort and load an old Origo demo to find his address which easily leads me to his phone-number

The fact that his address can be found on other places doesn't make it legal to be found here, if he didn't put it in himself.

If you give your e-mail addy as part of a registration process, you wouldn't want it to become part of a list of e-mails for something entirely different, right?

Listen, no matter what your or mine personal feelings on this subject are: there are rules which say that you can't just put personal information in a database without the permission of the person him- or herself.

So please spare me your "yeh but they put it somewhere else all those years ago" or "but what would I do with it?" because those are not valid reasons. And if Mixer, or somebody else, really feels pissed off by this all, he can make sure this database is being taken off the web. Is that what we want? Guess not.
2002-09-08 21:38
Rough
Account closed

dark judge, read my posts more carefully instead of pulling your fingers as fast on the keyboard as you can to reply a stupid answer

and to make it more easy for you: where did i doubt it is someone's legal right to have his address printed or not? where did i say not to apply okay to mixer's please to remove his address? and for homework: what did i wanted to say with my previous post?
2003-01-01 16:14
Richard

No matter what. I can't even have any privacy through my C64.rulez.org Email account, as someone had hacked into it and killed 'Spam Assassin', therefore I ended up with rubbish in my inbox. I really hate this. What makes matters worse is when you get hoards of it after a few days away from the account. Sigh. I guess we all have to put up with it some day or another. Life is so unfair >:(
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
Kruthers
Guests online: 114
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)