Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Scene - history information!
2006-04-13 23:25
Dishy

Scene - history information!

After reading the topic by Tch called "Interviewed", I figured I´d make this one: (BTW, good idea, Johan!)

Well, actually I´ve also for quite a long time been thinking about a few things, which I miss in here!(But I figured, I´d better wait with that until CSDb V2.) Anyway, now TCH got me thinking about one of my old wishes again, which is: Could there be a function, so we could easily find old mags etc. where certain old sceners(or even groups) are mentioned in. From time to time I download LOTS of old diskmags/papermags(and cracks/demos!;) with only one purpose - to check some old information/news about certain sceners or even certain groups.. It always takes me a hell of a long time to find precisely those persons or groups, which I´m searching information about. Information there´re very useful for the scene-history!

For example - if I´m looking for some old information about my old friend Tiger/NATO/Crest, then I´ll have to find old mags´n´warez from like 1986-1992... Or information about Dominators, I´d have to look in old warez from 86-93! Argh! And all the information for CSDb, that I found in mags in 2002(!), is rather hard to remember now in 2006(!), which mags/warez, that I actually found that in.. Follow me?

In these cases it would help me(and you!) pretty much, if I/we could just find the sceners on CSDb to see precisely which mags, they are mentioned in..

There´s just one problem - some sceners/groups are mentioned again and again in almost every mag and every issue - which means, they would probably be credited pretty much in here... (and it should probably not be added under credits - as it´s not a credit) Any solutions?

I did this VERY much back in 2002-2003, but I still do it from time to time...

Regards, Dishy

(PS. Johan, I´ve found the old warez/graphics for you - I´ll upload it tomorrow or send it to you..(Argh, now I just need the promised stuff for CBA, Mason, Jazzcat etc.. I almost don´t dare to be at CSDb before, I´ve fixed the things, I promise - just need more spare time, Rrrr :/ )

*****Once A Scener - Always A Scener*****
2006-04-14 09:03
Trazan

If you look for you "old friend" Tiger, shouldnt you have his Email/ICQ/MSN? Weird friend you are :)

2006-04-14 11:25
Dishy

Quote: If you look for you "old friend" Tiger, shouldnt you have his Email/ICQ/MSN? Weird friend you are :)

....."if I´m looking for some old information" for CSDb/scene history about old sceners, friends, contacts and groups - sorry - then I do not call up everybody to hear, when they left/joined precisely that group, or when they released this major 1.release, or joined that party, or were in war with these persons... Whould take way too long time for me to contact all the persons, I knew back then - as a modemtrader/mega swapper/original sup, you knew quite a few in the scene...

Also it seems that pretty many old sceners don´t even care at all about the scene today, so when I talk to old scene friends, who´re not on CSDb, I almost don´t even ask them about, what actually happened for them in the c64 scene 10-20 years ago.. They/many doesn´t care too much, and would probably not remember much...

Hmmm.. But maybe, if they could easily, find old mags, where they´re actually mentioned in, then - maybe - a few of them would become curious, and download&read that old mag to revive their memories... And hopefully register at CSDb after reviving old memories!

Nevermind - thanks for the good answer, indeed... ;-)

Well, who cares anyway.. Off to enjoy the Easter!

2006-04-14 14:42
Mason

Quote: After reading the topic by Tch called "Interviewed", I figured I´d make this one: (BTW, good idea, Johan!)

Well, actually I´ve also for quite a long time been thinking about a few things, which I miss in here!(But I figured, I´d better wait with that until CSDb V2.) Anyway, now TCH got me thinking about one of my old wishes again, which is: Could there be a function, so we could easily find old mags etc. where certain old sceners(or even groups) are mentioned in. From time to time I download LOTS of old diskmags/papermags(and cracks/demos!;) with only one purpose - to check some old information/news about certain sceners or even certain groups.. It always takes me a hell of a long time to find precisely those persons or groups, which I´m searching information about. Information there´re very useful for the scene-history!

For example - if I´m looking for some old information about my old friend Tiger/NATO/Crest, then I´ll have to find old mags´n´warez from like 1986-1992... Or information about Dominators, I´d have to look in old warez from 86-93! Argh! And all the information for CSDb, that I found in mags in 2002(!), is rather hard to remember now in 2006(!), which mags/warez, that I actually found that in.. Follow me?

In these cases it would help me(and you!) pretty much, if I/we could just find the sceners on CSDb to see precisely which mags, they are mentioned in..

There´s just one problem - some sceners/groups are mentioned again and again in almost every mag and every issue - which means, they would probably be credited pretty much in here... (and it should probably not be added under credits - as it´s not a credit) Any solutions?

I did this VERY much back in 2002-2003, but I still do it from time to time...

Regards, Dishy

(PS. Johan, I´ve found the old warez/graphics for you - I´ll upload it tomorrow or send it to you..(Argh, now I just need the promised stuff for CBA, Mason, Jazzcat etc.. I almost don´t dare to be at CSDb before, I´ve fixed the things, I promise - just need more spare time, Rrrr :/ )

heh with my list the reqeusts takes 2-3 mins to find.
2006-04-14 14:59
Dishy

Quote: heh with my list the reqeusts takes 2-3 mins to find.

Maybe for some wares/cracks... But I also still need to transfer lots of very old disks(and tapes), and that takes a damn long time! And I´ve tons of things to do with other (web)projects, which takes 2-3 min.. I haven´t been much home during this Easter - and I´m not at home right now.. But I´ll find it for you soon! But I do know, you still have a lot of work with c64heaven - with or without - the warez you want from me;)

2006-04-14 15:17
Tch
Account closed

Hehe Dishy,I know precisely how you feel.
It has taken lots of time to get some dates just for the Brutal-members.
And then a forgotten program pops up that doesn´t fit with the facts. ;)

But I think it is almost impossible to get it all accurate.
Best way to be certain is to find the first release of a group (or scener-joined-group) that gives some information.
Unfortunately many crackers didn´t leave dates in their releases.
Like: "When did Rockstar join Talent?".

And like you said,some sceners will be in a lot of mags.
I will definately NOT update all the Brutal Recalls.
We didn´t leave any news out, so I´d probably be adding some 50 sceners here with every new issue. ;)
I guess the best guide is your own memory and the hope that people who add mags do a better job than just adding a release-year only..

What bothers me more though, is the fact that 66.4% (!!) of groups have no founding-date.
Maybe it´s an idea to use the year of the oldest release -found here- as the startingpoint?
2006-04-17 20:50
Mason

In some way Scene history information could be useful. Often people get added to various groups and it would be nice if there could be an reference for it.

It shouldnt be put directly on peoples profile as it fill the profil with alot of info, but a references button could be nice.
2006-04-18 22:24
Jazzcat

Interesting.

It may have been Ymgve/Creators who was converting all disk magazines to an online, "searchable", database.

There is so much wealth in all of those news chapters, charts and things that would be nice to have online, but what a mammoth task.

Regarding CSDB, including some form of content credit, so that searching for information can be made easy would be nice. Maybe a special "content"-credits section that is an exclusive option for magazines.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Fix/[HF] + [ONS]
Core/VPN
GoDot64
Mythus/Delysid