Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > dealing with entries of commercial games
2007-07-25 08:35
chatGPZ

dealing with entries of commercial games

just out of curiosity i happened to check the Digital Excess entry and noticed some irritating things. check Summix Ikkiuchi Roll Over Addgar Polonäse JOSH. all of these are cracks done by other groups, and not actual dxs releases. another case is Protovision : Ice Guys Bomb Mania It's Magic 2 Team Patrol Hockey Mania.

while the first case is "only" database pollution (this isnt gamebase, this is a scene database) the second is pure commercial (there aren't even downloads).

i can't say i agree with how these are handled right now. from a scene viewpoint, all these entries should be deleted, imho.

... 11 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-07-26 23:39
Conrad

Just did a quick screenshot from vice while loading the .tap file

seeing this evidence, yes maybe it should be removed - great game though.
2007-07-28 11:35
T.M.R
Account closed

G: Snowball Sunday was released on Compunet, i expect that it wasn't sold to the mag (odds are it was passed on by one of the PD companies) and they won't have sought permission or paid for it, so it's still legitimate for CSDb.
2007-07-28 15:40
chatGPZ

ok then...whatever :) we still need some guideline to handle such cases (and then some mods who'd actually care and inforce it *sigh*)
2007-08-08 22:18
chatGPZ

stumbled about Centric and Centric +4 ... these look messed up too ...

there really should be some dicisions made, imho it'd be good to have an additional "commercial game" cathegory, which should be used for original, non cracked _commercial_ games (other than "c64 game", which should be used for the freeware stuff).

dealing with entries that are commercial games made by a scene group (and as such, somehow belong here) which does NOT want these games downloadable (pretty much applies to ptv stuff only) seems to be the most tricky part. deleting them completely feels just about as wrong as leaving the entries as they are. explicitly flagging them as commercial games is needed imho

:/
2007-08-09 09:48
Twoflower

Quote: stumbled about Centric and Centric +4 ... these look messed up too ...

there really should be some dicisions made, imho it'd be good to have an additional "commercial game" cathegory, which should be used for original, non cracked _commercial_ games (other than "c64 game", which should be used for the freeware stuff).

dealing with entries that are commercial games made by a scene group (and as such, somehow belong here) which does NOT want these games downloadable (pretty much applies to ptv stuff only) seems to be the most tricky part. deleting them completely feels just about as wrong as leaving the entries as they are. explicitly flagging them as commercial games is needed imho

:/

No, deleting them does not feel wrong, and should not - I think we clarified ages ago that the entries don't belong here unless the files are present? This is purely an ideological and organisatorical question which should be discussed amongst the few around here that has privilegies enough to wax locked entries. Adding a "commercial game" flag could really do serious harm to this database. In my worst nightmares I picture Baracuda sitting in the darkness of his room going -"What is this? Commercial game flag! Now I can finally upload all my .tap's and original disks to CSDb! Yay!". Needless to say, I don't want that to happen. May I suggest a few topics to discuss:

1) What's the reason we haven't waxed the commercial games off the server? Why haven't we made up guidelines for what is allright and not so we can point morons to these guidelines?

2) What should we define as scenereleases? Where is the invisible line between scenereleases and public domain programs / commercial games? And most importantly - why do we make a distinction?
2007-08-09 10:31
chatGPZ

Quote:

1) What's the reason we haven't waxed the commercial games off the server?

like i wrote, in some cases i feel that they should stay. for example the digitial excess games were clearly produced by a scene group, and they have no problem with the files beeing on csdb either (although, the files in the entries should be either the originals, or link to the entries of the cracks).

the ptv entries are debatable yes, entries without files and a link to a website (where you can buy the thing) instead is purely commercial and should be deleted.

Quote:

Why haven't we made up guidelines for what is allright and not so we can point morons to these guidelines?

good question :)

Quote:

2) What should we define as scenereleases? Where is the invisible line between scenereleases and public domain programs / commercial games? And most importantly - why do we make a distinction?

its certainly hard to define strict rules, since the lines are always blurred. some ppl would define mombasa joes seuck games as scene releases (i would =)), while others wont call it scene related unless it has a crack intro.

imho the most obvious thing is commercial vs free. that said. uh. now someone please come up with a definition that prevents anyone from adding some thousend public domain geos cliparts =D

2007-08-09 10:33
Shake

i'm not saying we should upload every commercial game, but the 'game' catagory is very usefull.

The older 83/86 cracks are quite hard to indentify for the average user.. for instance intros/sysline/tags are not always there. second of all you don't always know for sure from every game if the autor has a scene history.

so i'd use'game' if in doubt if it's a crack or not. Instead of throwing it away or go to gamebase or whatever site. If someone knows the real story about a release he can update the record to 'crack' with credits.

point stays what to do if it's identified commercial. delete it or preserver history and hand it over to gamebase kind of sites (hmmmmmm who will do that?)

the invisible line between scene release and public domain release is for sure something not used with the 'tools' section.
2007-08-09 10:34
enthusi

only add when you know whom it's from?
2007-08-09 10:37
Shake

the users on csdb know a lot more together..
2007-08-09 11:11
Twoflower

Agreed on the fact that CSDb users can help eachother out concerning the identity. There is no need whatsoever to guide releases towards Gamebase 64 - everything we've got here are present there. If they don't, they just haven't had time to update the database.

So, in my eyes, commercial games should be deleted.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
X-Raffi/X-Rated
Majikeyric
Scrap/Genesis Project
taper/ΤRIΛD
www.gb64.com
A3/AFL