Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > dealing with entries of commercial games
2007-07-25 08:35
chatGPZ

dealing with entries of commercial games

just out of curiosity i happened to check the Digital Excess entry and noticed some irritating things. check Summix Ikkiuchi Roll Over Addgar Polonäse JOSH. all of these are cracks done by other groups, and not actual dxs releases. another case is Protovision : Ice Guys Bomb Mania It's Magic 2 Team Patrol Hockey Mania.

while the first case is "only" database pollution (this isnt gamebase, this is a scene database) the second is pure commercial (there aren't even downloads).

i can't say i agree with how these are handled right now. from a scene viewpoint, all these entries should be deleted, imho.

... 11 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-07-25 12:12
Graham
Account closed

Original version of the game -> entry of the group who made the game.

Cracked version of the game -> entry of the group who cracked the game.
2007-07-25 14:56
Conrad

Groepaz is quite right that the un-cracked commercial games should be removed from this scene database, since there aren't any download links anyway. However I think it's okay to keep the actual group information intact, especially if they have created other releases rather than games.

For example, Covert Bitops and Smash Designs are known as Game development groups, but they don't put their games like Cadaver's Metal Warrior series on this database, instead they put on the very useful utilities and demos, which I think is better - especially for us who are mainly just interested in demos/utils/cracks.

For the ones who just want to play the games, best for them is to visit the group's personal working website, therefore just have a link to their site added to the group information and that's it.

Mind you, I think this database does have a lot of non-cracked game releases, since The New Dimension (sorry Richard) have released a huge amount of small games on here, we wouldn't just remove them all like that.
2007-07-25 15:08
cadaver

Eh? The last I checked there was original versions of the whole MW series listed here, as well as Turrican 3. And both were added by author group members. There's a game category, so why not use it, for games that actually are scene releases (= non commercial)?

As for anything commercial, terminate with extreme prejudice..
2007-07-25 15:13
Conrad

...oops. you're right :) I didn't see them due to too many utils caved over them - sorry cadaver :)

and yes, the COMMERCIAL games should be terminated.
2007-07-25 16:27
Graham
Account closed

So what? If you do a game, you get an entry for it. If you crack a game, you get an entry for the crack. Easy.

And I don't quite see how Turrican 3 or Metal Warrior qualify as "commercial games"?
2007-07-25 17:33
cadaver

I don't think CRD tried to insinuate that, but to speculate on a somekind of hypothetical "scener's ethic" that says it's better to only add demos, tools & cracks, because people are most interested in them :)
2007-07-25 18:42
chatGPZ

args, ofcourse my question was about _commercial_ games _only_. (hence the topic! o_O) ofcourse everyone who makes a game and releases it to the scene for free deserves his entry here. thats obvious.

imho the idea of this database is to a) provide correct information and b) provide complete entries and c) inform about the scene.

as for a) both of my examples fail in that, the dxs entries have crackes from other groups linked to them. the ptv entries have wrong info in them (a game from "classical games" magically turns into a game by ptv). b) means a download if possible. if someone doesnt want a download for reasons that are purely commercial, i fail to see the connection with c) ie the scene.

so, while i'm not even strictly agains adding commercial games (if an additional cathegory would be added for that), because even copied "originals" might be somehow part of the scene, i am very much against entries that contain deliberately wrong and/or incorrect info or are even of pure commercial nature. there should be a line drawn somewhere (as with so many other things *sigh*)

also both cases could be fixed in a quite clean way if there'd be a way to link a crack entry to another entry which contains info about the original (could be like the pouet id, just for lemon or gamebase).
2007-07-25 18:56
cadaver

Newcomer is an interesting mid-ground case that you can either pay for or not, it manages to create confusion for people (usually on lemon64) who think Protovision actually developed it :)

I'd be OK for keeping cases like it but the credits should read Cinematic Intuitive Dynamix only, for (as far as I know) there's no proper publisher/distributor credit or group category..
2007-07-25 19:18
chatGPZ

yeah, newcomer and bombmania are also my "favourite" examples for wrong crediting.
2007-07-26 23:25
chatGPZ

*bump*

and another which shouldnt be here: Fruitbank

this is the uncracked original... so while the credits are correct, it should be in a seperate cathegory that clearly identifies it as a non scene release.

Snowball Sunday is a border case i guess (it appearently appeared on a covertape of some mag, and thus might also qualifiy as commercial release)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Scorpion/Contex / Ar..
kbs/Pht/Lxt
psych
A3/AFL
taper/ΤRIΛD
Fred/Channel 4