Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Copperhead ! (Registered 2024-05-08) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Evaluating the moderation of CSDb
2007-09-25 09:11
Laxity

Evaluating the moderation of CSDb

I think it's time to evaluate how the moderation of CSDb is going. Good/bad?.. Anyone?

Something just struct my eye. I just saw the "moderation rules" thread (started by Oswald) being closed for no obvious reason (Ok, Steppe said - "close thread?" or something). I disagree in such an approach to moderation. The moderator should not close a thread unless it's going really bad, and warnings have been issued; furthermore I think moderators who personally participate in a discussion should be rendered powerless over moderating that particular discussion. Furthermore, when closing a thread, I think a reason for doing so should be given..

Oh, and this is not supposed to be another "bitching" topic. I'd like to call and everybody interested to state their thoughts. Good AND bad. Not just bad, please!..

... 150 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-09-26 05:42
Oswald

from trazan:

> No, Im not monitoring nor pinpointing your entries. I check the "latest 5" entries once in a while
>

still you only deleted mine, while all comments there was offtopic.

moderation would be more friendly if done like this:

- either keep the rules or dont, but dont pinpoint ppl
- send a pm with the reason if you deleted a comment/note/etc from a release
- give reason _in_ the forum if it was a forum past
- give warnings in the forums, and only act afterwards
- _only_ close threads when the majority of the contenders ask it/unacceptable bitching/behaviour etc.
- act only when there's no way to avoid it (Laxity)
2007-09-26 05:58
chatGPZ

moderation would be more friendly if people would post like this:
- think before posting, twice
- see above

=P

(i miss a way to send reason to ppl too....but i can also understand why majority of mods voted against it. some of the things you are proposing are great, unless you are the one who has to do them. then you suddenly realise they are a lot of work, and serve little to no useful purpose)
2007-09-26 06:22
Laxity

Oswald, talking about your specific case, won't get us anywhere - it being fair or not. It'll just stir up emotions and have the discussion go to a deadlock. (See Groepaz answar already - no offence!)

Let's try an focus on a meta level.

I'm not saying that the community as such should in any way dictate the rules of the moderators. That doesn't work. But talking about how it's working, what's good and what's bad, gives the moderators an oppotunity to act (adjust their moderation) on basis of the community response - like in the real world.

I think it'd be cool if these things were considered by the moderation team (please notice the word: considered :)):

- I think it would be ace if moderators would "never" close a thread, unless it could not be avoided, or the creator of the thread requests it. (With a notification: Closed by the request of the creator)

- Deleted posts (in the forum) should be replaced by a notification of whos post was deleted and why. (Not signed by the moderating person, to avoid things from getting unessesarily personal)
2007-09-26 12:15
Devia

Quote:
- I think it would be ace if moderators would "never" close a thread, unless it could not be avoided, or the creator of the thread requests it. (With a notification: Closed by the request of the creator)

- Deleted posts (in the forum) should be replaced by a notification of whos post was deleted and why. (Not signed by the moderating person, to avoid things from getting unessesarily personal)

I totally agree.
2007-09-26 15:14
chatGPZ

Quote:

we decided against that because it makes threads totally unreadable when there is more than just one deleted post. also it still gives the trolling person the attention he wants, and more stuff to discuss. it's the best of all suboptimal alternatives, imho.
2007-09-26 16:33
Oswald

Quote: moderation would be more friendly if people would post like this:
- think before posting, twice
- see above

=P

(i miss a way to send reason to ppl too....but i can also understand why majority of mods voted against it. some of the things you are proposing are great, unless you are the one who has to do them. then you suddenly realise they are a lot of work, and serve little to no useful purpose)

So if I will think 4x before posting I'll get a warning/explanation ? =)

Seriously I have never encountered this kind of rude&unpolite moderation so far. You get warnings and explanations everywhere and when you dont you will know the reason anyway. What have we here? A bunch of anonymous moderators with full control without any responsitivity or feedback to the users, also the mods are not keeping rules, instead they use their personal preferences.
2007-09-26 17:06
chatGPZ

Quote:

So if I will think 4x before posting I'll get a warning/explanation ? =)

ideally it would result in no posts that would need moderation =)
2007-09-27 06:44
Oswald

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/forums/?roomid=11&topicid=46803#46841

Burglar:
"heh, you should worry, when even a crappy coder like Oswald can improve your code......
(lets hope the mods dont 'moderate' me;)"

Creamd:
"We are only moderating one person at time. Currently it is Oswald because he is really annoying. ;)"

Groepaz:
"exactly, for now you are save enno :=)"

6. It is therefore not permissable to use CSDb as a media for any kind of personal attacks/discriminating or foul language (using the forum, oneliners, comments on CSDb entries, PM's, deliberate downvoting or anything similar), and any such will be punished with temporarily or permanent exlusion from the site.

exactly as I already said:

"the mods are not keeping rules, instead they use their personal preferences."
2007-09-27 06:55
Trazan

The ohsovery insulting posts are removed, next time look at the smileys aswell.

2007-09-27 07:10
CreaMD

Quote: The ohsovery insulting posts are removed, next time look at the smileys aswell.

So what we have here? First of another kind of abuse of the forums. Codename: "angry user complaining about moderators".

p.s.: I don't think that humour should be completely removed from this site but ok, I respect the other moderator decision to remove it based on Oswald's strict interpretation of the word "any kind". Let's hope this won't repeat too often because it reminds me of similar case where the user who was too obsessed by the rules has been later banned from CSDB.

Before anyone misintepretes this as a threat. It isn't. I'm the last person on earth that would ever wanted to kick Oswald out from here. I rather quit moderation job.

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
chesser/Nigaz
Berluskåni/The Gump..
Oswald/Resource
doctorfargo/Binary L..
Flex/Artline Designs
C64_80er/TRT