Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Evaluating the moderation of CSDb
2007-09-25 09:11
Laxity

Evaluating the moderation of CSDb

I think it's time to evaluate how the moderation of CSDb is going. Good/bad?.. Anyone?

Something just struct my eye. I just saw the "moderation rules" thread (started by Oswald) being closed for no obvious reason (Ok, Steppe said - "close thread?" or something). I disagree in such an approach to moderation. The moderator should not close a thread unless it's going really bad, and warnings have been issued; furthermore I think moderators who personally participate in a discussion should be rendered powerless over moderating that particular discussion. Furthermore, when closing a thread, I think a reason for doing so should be given..

Oh, and this is not supposed to be another "bitching" topic. I'd like to call and everybody interested to state their thoughts. Good AND bad. Not just bad, please!..

... 150 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-09-27 17:55
chatGPZ

hehe, if i recall correctly most of these censored posts came from cleaning up natabamubaracuda crap =) (i became moderator after that)

and i'm not complaining either. infact i don't understand at all why anyone would bitch about deletion of some stupid crap that was posted. it's not like we go around and delete useful posts. you make a half funny joke, i post a not so serious reply. and then they get deleted. OMG. the world is falling apart!
2007-09-27 18:04
Burglar

Quote: hehe, if i recall correctly most of these censored posts came from cleaning up natabamubaracuda crap =) (i became moderator after that)

and i'm not complaining either. infact i don't understand at all why anyone would bitch about deletion of some stupid crap that was posted. it's not like we go around and delete useful posts. you make a half funny joke, i post a not so serious reply. and then they get deleted. OMG. the world is falling apart!

True, true, but we still have to acknowledge that this is also a sceners hangout. It's not only about building an as big and accurate as possible c64 scene database, imo.

Hangouts come with bullshit, so make space for it and add functionality to move a thread as-is to the hangout forum. The main forum can remain completely clean this way and the craptalkers (me!) also have their area.

Or, all craptalkers are invited to move the bullshit to https://sh.scs-trc.net/ (shameless plug) ;)
2007-09-27 18:15
chatGPZ

yes, that is a missing feature (moving threads) which afaik is already on the todo list =)
2007-09-27 18:18
Laxity

Quote: hehe, if i recall correctly most of these censored posts came from cleaning up natabamubaracuda crap =) (i became moderator after that)

Well, that's actually not the action but the signal sent. "We do not tolerate such behaviour here at CSDb" (said with a 50'ies accent - that's a joke btw.).

I think such moderation sucks badly, but I can live with it, if that's what the majority of people find ok - I just think it's unnesseary bullying in a place where there ought to be freedom of speech (and joking around and being friends and being pissed at each other and think Oswald is annoying, and thinking he's cool and hating cracks in a time without new releases, and intros that suck, and demos that are cool, and tools that are windows only.. and get all those things you get when you're involved in something you like.)... Ah shit.. I'm starting to sound like a god damn hippie.... a joint, anyone?
2007-09-27 18:22
Burglar

Quote: Well, that's actually not the action but the signal sent. "We do not tolerate such behaviour here at CSDb" (said with a 50'ies accent - that's a joke btw.).

I think such moderation sucks badly, but I can live with it, if that's what the majority of people find ok - I just think it's unnesseary bullying in a place where there ought to be freedom of speech (and joking around and being friends and being pissed at each other and think Oswald is annoying, and thinking he's cool and hating cracks in a time without new releases, and intros that suck, and demos that are cool, and tools that are windows only.. and get all those things you get when you're involved in something you like.)... Ah shit.. I'm starting to sound like a god damn hippie.... a joint, anyone?

Hear Hear! \o/

I have to say it again, Laxity for Super Moderator!
2007-09-27 18:44
chatGPZ

Quote:

thing is, people usually don't start a new thread for stuff like that, but they regulary manage to destroy threads started by someone who had a serious question (for example). and THAT will not (or no more) tolerated, because its major annoying for those (few) who actually want to seriously contribute to the database. and yes, that has priority. if someone doesnt want to help with, or contribute to, the database, maybe he should consider hanging out at lemon, or SH, or whatever else. or better yet, create a c64 release :=)
2007-09-27 19:00
cadaver

Quote:
thing is, people usually don't start a new thread for stuff like that, but they regulary manage to destroy threads started by someone who had a serious question (for example). and THAT will not (or no more) tolerated, because its major annoying for those (few) who actually want to seriously contribute to the database. and yes, that has priority. if someone doesnt want to help with, or contribute to, the database, maybe he should consider hanging out at lemon, or SH, or whatever else. or better yet, create a c64 release :=)

Nicely put, I can agree with that. It's also a kind of cruel & unofficial "mob rules" moderation when bogárs or kittens start flying (signalling that a thread has been closed for all serious discussion), I rather prefer official moderation that just unceremoniously closes a thread, or nukes the offending posts. That said, bogárs and other abominations also have their place, but not as much anymore, as most "vibrant" personalities aren't here anymore...
2007-09-27 19:04
Stainless Steel

While we're at it, I'm curious.

Will this thread get closed, am I 'crossing the line' and will I be 'moderated' ?

There's even a Oswald post on that thread, I'm livin' it dangerous!

Or am I just having a little chit chat still within the tolerance threshold of the moderators ?

2007-09-27 19:20
Laxity

Quote: Quote:

The first part of that sounds reasonable (i.e not the part I wrote :)). Where people hang out is their business, and I think it's great that there's a bit of goofing around here. I, however, see your point quite clearly about the serious threads (QA type ones), which I guess can be moderated with: "funny, but please take it somewhere else!" when goofed up.... But it's not just goofs were talking about. Goofing is not the real problem, is it? I think the problem is when it's the real hot discussions that are mod'ed, because that's when people have invested something in their comments. That's when people get offended, and think the moderators are bias SOBs.. know what I mean?

Oh well.. look at the time! :)

Thanks for participating in the discussion too, btw. It's great to hear what's being "thought about" behind the _scene_.

Stainless:.. "You're over the line.. expect to be closed! in 3...2...1..." :)
2007-09-27 21:28
chatGPZ

Quote: While we're at it, I'm curious.

Will this thread get closed, am I 'crossing the line' and will I be 'moderated' ?

There's even a Oswald post on that thread, I'm livin' it dangerous!

Or am I just having a little chit chat still within the tolerance threshold of the moderators ?

it's obviously always a case by case decision. and yes it (ofcourse, wanted or not, yes it's unfair) does depend on a persons individual trackrecord. you earn what you seed, just like in real life =P
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Soya/Fairlight
Aki
Steffan/BOOM!
Bud/Warriors of the ..
iceout/Avatar/HF
.jetan/AI-supported ..