Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Transparent votes?
2003-07-12 11:22
Merman

Transparent votes?

There's been a lot of "discussion" in the one-liner box about whether voting should be transparent, i.e. you can see who voted (and their vote's value).

I feel that things should stay as they are, just the number of votes and "weighted" vote shown for each entry. That would save all the arguments "why did you vote low for me?" or "he/she is a lamer, they voted low for me/my release"

What do others think?

... 116 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-07-13 19:49
Mermaid

Here are the previous discussions on the matter:

Downvoting

Transparant voting & editing

At least add the *option* to make *your own* votes transparent, as suggested by Steppe in one of the topics:

"I suggest that people who want to make their votes visible to others should be given the possibility, some checkbox you can switch on and off in the user preferences. Would that be hard to implement?"

And/or implement The Dark Judge's suggestion:

"You could also combine that with lack of power-voting. E.g.: if you don't want your votes to be known, you also only have the right to give rates from 3-8 or something."
2003-07-13 20:13
Steppe

Wot!? I said that?
That's a cool idea! =)
2003-07-13 20:33
Slator

BAD VOTERS EXPOSED!

Maybe a list of the voters would be a good idea, too.
You can see who actually voted but you can leave the figures unmentioned.

You can now see who voted and if there are fake-account votings. You might be spotted by that but not left with your panties down.

Transparent votes would be good to find out who did that shitty voting but imagine you have to go to some election for your local politicians/parliaments etc. and your votes will be shown together with your name. That is no good idea.

Maybe just the 1,2 and 3 voters could be named.
If you really don't like that release you can always explain your point of view to others then. But actually I don't see any point in voting a 1 for really cool demos like deus ex etc.

always keep in mind that all roads lead to rome

2003-07-13 20:44
jailbird

Honest and fair voting... yeah sure. Here's the thing. Recently I've got known about a downvoter of mine and when I asked really kindly about his reasons of downvoting my faakkin person he said it was by mistake (yeah sure) and he changed the 1 to 10. Get the point eh.
What about making only those votes transparent that are lower than f. e. 3 and higher than 8. Voila, everyone happy. Or even better: NOT ALLOWING to vote for your nick. Sometimes I have a crazy feeling, I rather wouldn't be present on "top"-lists at all.
My only uno was checked under a handle of a cable-guy, and in fact I'm proud of that downvote.
See what Mermaid wrote, hello, read carefully:
THE ABSOLUTE MAJORITY VOTED *YES* FOR TRANSPARENT VOTES
Doesn't that ring a bell or something? We're not electing a president of scene, but judging others and their productions.
2003-07-13 20:48
jailbird

Posted my shit in the same time as Slator. Good to see we more or less think the same way :)
Ok, I got some beers and I'm pretty drunk. So you better ignore me, now!
2003-07-13 21:20
Slator

Arnold, why should we ignore you :-D
it is good that our thinking is not too far away from reality... :-D cheers mate and cracking beers rocks, too :D
2003-07-13 21:33
Derision

Quote: Here are the previous discussions on the matter:

Downvoting

Transparant voting & editing

At least add the *option* to make *your own* votes transparent, as suggested by Steppe in one of the topics:

"I suggest that people who want to make their votes visible to others should be given the possibility, some checkbox you can switch on and off in the user preferences. Would that be hard to implement?"

And/or implement The Dark Judge's suggestion:

"You could also combine that with lack of power-voting. E.g.: if you don't want your votes to be known, you also only have the right to give rates from 3-8 or something."

I like both of these thoughts... the tradeoff of either being transparent, or losing the power-vote. Combining them would probably be very good.

I am also in complete agreeance with Jailbird's statement that we should not be allowed to vote for our own nicks (and/or groups). Frankly, I'm not entirely sure why you CAN vote for yourself; most everyplace else that contains voting generally tells you NOT to.

Completely fair and balanced voting, though, is still a dream. You've got a better chance of spotting a live unicorn in Times Square... and if someone really, really wants to downvote you, it's not going to stop them from making accounts and voting three a bunch of times until the rating drops, or even just saying "fuck it" and voting one, transparently. It is a step in the right direction, though.
2003-07-14 08:55
Optimus

Btw,. I was wondering who is the webmaster of this site? Can he join our discussion?
2003-07-14 08:59
Optimus

Steppe: You haven't noticed Merman's second post I guess ;)
2003-07-14 09:06
Optimus

"People who don't like transparent voting, their votes will range from 3 to 8"
"Votes bellow 3 or above 8, will automatically be transparent"

The ideas are very nice and I definitelly prefer the 2nd

But if the majority has voted for transparent votes in that poll but nothing has changed, then something is not moving on. Where is the webmaster? (Perhaps he doesn't like transparent votes :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Urban Space Cowboy
wil
Digger/Elysium
ritti/TLN
Didi/Laxity