Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Friend lists (CSDb as a Social Networking site...eeek!)
2008-09-28 12:04
Scout

Friend lists (CSDb as a Social Networking site...eeek!)

The scene was always friendshipbased, right?
So wouldn't it be a nice idea to add some kind of friend list in your profile?

Not only to jump on the social networking bandwagon but also to shield off some (personal) data you only wish to share with good scene-friends like phonenumbers, IM info and addresses.

Just a sunday afternoon brainwave.

... 45 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-09-30 07:39
Shadow
Account closed

Oswald is the CSDB equivalent of Cato, but instead of "Also, Carthage, methinks, ought utterly to be destroyed" he ends his speeches with "Also, tags, methinks, ought to be implemented"... ;)
2008-09-30 09:02
jailbird

Well for once I agree with Oswald, tags would be utterly useful (nevertheless damn easy to implement). I can't understand the aversion, is there some special reason I don't know about (OK, apart from that we all hate Oswaldbogár's ideas)?
Just look at IMDb as an example and then tell me that tags are not useful.
2008-09-30 09:06
chatGPZ

we simply dont believe in the "thousend monkeys" theory. (and it has been said many times already *sigh*). most people cant even use the existing stuff properly, so why do you believe they would suddenly be able to handle tags ? (and your imdb link actually shows it - lots of meaningless duplicated crap)
2008-09-30 09:30
MagerValp

IMDB is a perfect example of tags not working. Every movie has a million useless tags.
2008-09-30 09:54
Shadow
Account closed

Note that my 'Cato'-comment was not in any way implying that Oswalds suggestion is bad, just that his persistence in mentioning it reminded me of the old Roman senator. :)

What should the guidelines be for the tag info? I would personally be interested in having the effects used in a demo tagged, so I'd like tags like 'zoom4', 'bumpmapping', 'multiplexer' or 'filled vector'.
However, I guess other people are interested in other things and would tag with some completely different criteria, which could create a mess, but still, I think it would be useful.
2008-09-30 09:56
Oswald

the problem could be solved with having 'public' and 'private' tags. public ones would be a list of tags maintained by the csdb staff, private ones would be free so fex. one can tag his fave releases, which would be a great thing to have to browse through one's fave stuff, or any criteria upon one user groups entrys.
2008-09-30 09:58
jailbird

So basically you have two problems which could be very easily solved.

Problem one: mistrust for imbecile CSDb users.
Solution one: allow tagging for only a few trusted users who understand the concept of tags and volunteer for the job. Say, a couple of sceners who are experts in their area. So there wouldn't be stupidities included.

Problem two: the amount of tags
Solution two: limit. We definitely don't need dozens of them.

And the benefits would be huge: easier navigation, perspicuity, more practical browsing, very convenient and simple way of search for releases which are alike (eg. imagine finding similar styles, effects, concepts, motives, etc, etc. on a single click instead of asking on the forum)

Btw. I completely disagree that the IMDb keywords are not useful. I've found hidden movie gems only by the help of tags numerous of times. And I spend quite a lot of time on IMDb by checking out tags and browsing through movies which are connected to them. It's definitely one of the most helpful function if a site is built around a database.
2008-09-30 10:16
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
(and your imdb link actually shows it - lots of meaningless duplicated crap)

Quoting MagerValp
IMDB is a perfect example of tags not working. Every movie has a million useless tags

And please explain to me why is branched additional information bad, and I'll really leave it be.
Plus from CSDb's view, there is a way to organize it much better than IMDb and make it truly gainful for all of us.
2008-09-30 17:55
chatGPZ

there is nothing bad about additional information really - what makes those tags bad on pretty much every web 2.0 site there is is that every dumbnut can create them and use them as they feel like. yes that could be solved by a lot of moderation, maybe. i'd still rather see the existing stuff improved (and there is a long todo list already) and more importantly, see people use the existing stuff properly.

and honest, if we'd start with "moderated" tags - as in predefined ones - we'd have an instant (and eternal) flamefest on how certain tags are missing, others are stupid, and others shouldnt be used like they are used.
2008-09-30 18:10
Radiant

Quote: there is nothing bad about additional information really - what makes those tags bad on pretty much every web 2.0 site there is is that every dumbnut can create them and use them as they feel like. yes that could be solved by a lot of moderation, maybe. i'd still rather see the existing stuff improved (and there is a long todo list already) and more importantly, see people use the existing stuff properly.

and honest, if we'd start with "moderated" tags - as in predefined ones - we'd have an instant (and eternal) flamefest on how certain tags are missing, others are stupid, and others shouldnt be used like they are used.

That'd be the case if they weren't moderated, as well. :-P

I like the idea behind tags, really, but I've never ever seen them work well in practice.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
curtcool
katon/Lepsi De
Mike
Jammer
Board Rider/Commodor..
hedning/G★P