Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Tags (yet again)
2012-03-10 10:22
jailbird

Tags (yet again)

It is still unbeknownst to me why tags weren't implemented yet, or why are some so stubbornly against it. This portal is almost completely based on IMDb, and tags are one of the most useful features on that site.

Just a few of the useful features it would bring:

- finding demos containing an effect, record, theme...
- finding musics with a specific style, instrument, musical technique...
- finding images with a certain motive, character, technique, color-sceme...
- finding a specific usage of a tool/utility
- finding a magazine with an article about XY
- etc. etc...

It wouldn't take more than an hour to implement: another textbox on the "add comments" page with the Tags label (separated with commas) -> parsing the field and popping it out on the profile-page (as links, so if I'd click on a tag, I'd be redirected to a search-results page with a list of all those products where the same or similar tag was present).

Of course it wouldn't work right away, populating would certainly take some time. Just as everything else on this site.

Any thoughts? And in case of another instant rejection, I'd definitely love to get a bit more reasonable answer than the usual "I don't think we need it. Oh, and look here's my middle finger too. thxbai"

... 64 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-03-10 13:09
Carrion

\o/ for JB being active again
and
\o/ for TAGS!!!
2012-03-10 14:35
Celtic
Administrator

I like the thought of tags, depends mainly on wether or not Perff is able to code this, and how big a deal that would be.
2012-03-10 15:38
jailbird

Quote: I like the thought of tags, depends mainly on wether or not Perff is able to code this, and how big a deal that would be.

I'm sure he's able to do it. I've implemented own customized tag modules into numerous sites, so I have a bit of insight: such a basic component as I'm begging for could be done in a relatively short time, and it's really not a big deal as long as the database structure doesn't need some serious redesign for it (what I strongly doubt).

Of course, priorities first, we could wait.

Yes, tags are something which are not necessary for preserving stuff, but they'd would bring a really useful additional functionality to the site itself. The transparency of huge databases are directly proportional to the amount of its cross-referenced data.
2012-03-10 15:42
chatGPZ

so jailbird will spend considerable time on supervising the tags and removing/fixing duplicates \o/

i can see how that will work.
2012-03-10 15:59
jailbird

Quote: so jailbird will spend considerable time on supervising the tags and removing/fixing duplicates \o/

i can see how that will work.

Duplicates, that would be a problem really?? Well simply don't let the same two tags to be added to one certain release and problem solved.

I want to enter a tag which was previously entered? Give me an error message.

And that still wouldn't put too much burden on Perff.
2012-03-10 16:09
chatGPZ

i am talking about removing the "ifli" tag when there already is an "interlaced fli" tag.

but since we have a volunteer now, i think thats not an issue.
2012-03-10 16:13
Nafcom

Suggestion on how to make both sides happy: Run a testdrive for a month. If it does not work, remove the feature again.
2012-03-10 16:43
jailbird

Quoting Gropeaz
i am talking about removing the "ifli" tag when there already is an "interlaced fli" tag.

but since we have a volunteer now, i think thats not an issue.

Uh-oh, my sarcasm-meter is tingling!

I don't see why is this a problem, basically that's what tags for, you could enter both. Actually, preferably both. If someone enters only one version, another user will add the other. The more tags, the better. So simple.

When I want to find a certain motive of a picture, do you realize that at the moment I'm forced to search the god damn comments? And that's usually a hit&miss.

Maybe it will help you if you think of tags as an accessible and visually comprehensible, searchable, compact, crosslinked comment system?

Quoting Nafcom
Suggestion on how to make both sides happy: Run a testdrive for a month. If it does not work, remove the feature again.

Well there is one side, and then there is Gropeaz, who seems to reject this idea solely on hardheaded principle. I'm not sure he'd approve it even if tags would cure cancer.

Anyhow, one month wouldn't be enough to test a tag system. It will start to do its job properly once enough tags are entered to make a difference.
2012-03-10 16:45
STE'86

does it REALLY matter about duplicates?
after all is something gets tagged Multi colour, Multi COLOR or multicolor, does it really make any difference?

all it means is that 3 search criteria will pick it up. it has no downside what so ever except the extra bit of storage space.

in actual fact, tags have no downside at all. if they aren't entered you are no worse off than you started and if they are then you better off.

A win/win situation
2012-03-10 16:48
chatGPZ

Quote:
I don't see why is this a problem, basically that's what tags for, you could enter both.

and thats why you clean them up, yes.

and did you notice that i choose an example which is entirely stupid because that "tag" already exists?

that reminds me that you also will make sure no info is lost because ppl will blindlessly dump it into tags than creating proper database entries. ie delete the "ifli" and "interlaced fli" tags alltogether and edit the respective entries accordingly.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
YTM/Elysium
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
bugjam
DJ Gruby/TRiAD
Nordischsound/Hokuto..