Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > BBS
2005-01-09 11:39
Stan
Account closed

BBS

Why not include a section for BBS' as well? It's a big part of the scene that's not sufficiently supported by CSDB so far.

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-01-12 08:02
TDJ

Why not just put it in the trivia box?
2005-01-12 16:43
Stan
Account closed

Quote: Why not just put it in the trivia box?

Does not always work, because if I wanna look up a certain BBS' history and record (let's say The Dungeon) and I neither know that The Alchemist was running it nor what groups it hosted... What am I supposed to do? Why make it so complicated?

Second reason: I repeatedly wanna stress that the Board scene deserves to be documented more precisely and as sufficient as any other stuff here. My opinion.
2005-01-12 17:15
Earthshaker

BBS's were/are a part of the scene, so why not add the option?
2005-01-16 01:31
OEP

I agree that BBS' should be represented. There were some classic places to visit back in the day.
2005-01-19 21:09
taper

Ofcourse the boards should be represented. Add the cathegory!
2005-01-19 22:50
Jazzcat

Quote: Does not always work, because if I wanna look up a certain BBS' history and record (let's say The Dungeon) and I neither know that The Alchemist was running it nor what groups it hosted... What am I supposed to do? Why make it so complicated?

Second reason: I repeatedly wanna stress that the Board scene deserves to be documented more precisely and as sufficient as any other stuff here. My opinion.

BBSes are more than just trivia. They are one of the highlights of the scene. They were around during the right time with the right people and it would be great if they were represented here together with graphics/sysop and even user credits.

2005-01-20 09:33
Burglar

Quote: BBSes are more than just trivia. They are one of the highlights of the scene. They were around during the right time with the right people and it would be great if they were represented here together with graphics/sysop and even user credits.

but... I had N/A on practically all boards :P

anyway, yes, BBSes should be documented properly.
2005-01-20 11:49
Perff
Administrator

I've been following this thread for some time now, and it looks like there is no way around the BBS's.

However I know next to nothing about BBS's in the scene, so I have no idea on how to make the framework for registering info for them. Now I got a task for you out there. How should we implement BBS's in CSDb?

I mean should BBS's be added as a new releasetype, or should they have their completly own main-section (like sceners, groups etc. have now), or, or.. ??
2005-01-20 13:21
Stan
Account closed

Thank you, Perff. Well, let me give some suggestiones. I think Boards need their own main section (just like Groups, Coders, etc.)

Firstly, one has to add the BBS name. Secondly, the SysOp and Co-Sysop(s) need to be added. I do not know about the callers, because it is rather difficult to add all names and I cannot see the benefit of just adding the most frequent callers.
Thirdly, the group names are an important feature. Most boards served as heqadquarters to some groups, something of interest I believe.
Well, and finally some trivia stuff or so. I haven't thought about that thorougly, how about some further suggestions and ideas from you guys?

Best Regards,

Stan of Hitmen
2005-01-20 18:42
Burglar

Quote: Thank you, Perff. Well, let me give some suggestiones. I think Boards need their own main section (just like Groups, Coders, etc.)

Firstly, one has to add the BBS name. Secondly, the SysOp and Co-Sysop(s) need to be added. I do not know about the callers, because it is rather difficult to add all names and I cannot see the benefit of just adding the most frequent callers.
Thirdly, the group names are an important feature. Most boards served as heqadquarters to some groups, something of interest I believe.
Well, and finally some trivia stuff or so. I haven't thought about that thorougly, how about some further suggestions and ideas from you guys?

Best Regards,

Stan of Hitmen

BBS:

Name:
Sysop:
System:
Phone: phonenumber(s)
Hardware:
HQ for: group-list, possibly with start/end date. bbses switched groups a lot.
Co-Sysops: scener-list
Users: scener-list
Start date: date it opened
End date: date it closed
Comments:
Trivia:
Votes: regular voting module, top bbs, top sysop

users should be able to add themselves as user easily (like with parties afaik), even when its locked by the (co)sysop.

I think thats it.

;) much appreciated ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
soci/Singular
Didi/Laxity
A3/AFL
iceout/Avatar/HF
Flex/Artline Designs