Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > How to update releases with screenshot when release is locked?
2008-01-13 23:33
Tim
Account closed

How to update releases with screenshot when release is locked?

How to update releases with screenshot when release is locked?

example:
European Champions

I realise the obvious attempt would be to contact the person who locked the file, but doing this over and over is getting annoying.

Isn't it possible to unlock fields that are not yet filled because the person creating a release was not aware of them or to lazy to fill them?

... 10 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-01-14 14:12
chatGPZ

imho it'd be much better to change the meaning of "locked" from "can not be altered at all" to "existing data can not be altered" (meaning data that doesnt exist can always be added).

"upload pool" sounds like a whacked up hack to me :)
2008-01-14 14:20
Mace

The pool idea is also used by Discogs.com and it works perfectly.
A number of mods/trusted users have to approve new entries before that entry is admitted.

I realise it's quite some work to add such a feature, but it can be usefull.

Also, I don't see why ADDING stuff to a locked entry can work like a hack... please explain.
2008-01-14 22:00
Tim
Account closed

Mace I read 'hack' as workaround instead of unlocking fields that are not used.
but maybe it's what i want to read :)
2008-01-14 22:08
Rough
Account closed

Hm, I think, Perff menas with hack that it would need him to dig deep into the database code which could cause the entire db to get messed up.

The pool is a bad idea, because I doubt moderators could keep up confirming all the stuff added. Too complicated. I mean it's annoying to send a mail to a mod for unlocking, but it's the best solution.
2008-01-17 02:30
Tim
Account closed

Quote: I don't think the solution would be to make seartain fields unlocked on locked entries. First of all it would be a nasty hack, and I know it would cause trouble in the long run.

As the rules say, if you lock an entry you are responsible for maintaining that entry as good as possible, that is make sure as much info is pressent and correct. If a user can't do that, and won't respond to PM's or mails from other users, they simply shouldn't be maintainer. It's that simple.

So. Contact the user who maintains a locked entry. If no or negative response, contact me or the mods, and we'll remove that user as maintainer.

Perff, just re-read your post.

I know this is far-fetched, but define 'as good as possible', do you atleast have a time frame in mind for that? I am a bit worried that not everyone checks in on regular times, which is only logical with other priorities in life.

Also, if unlocking empty fields is not an option (i do actually see your point partially) how about speeding up the process, maybe automate the process slightly?

I was thinking of an unlock request button:
Click to notify the maintainer of this file that you wish to update this release.

Even better would be direct to email and not pm, but i know when I am stretching my wishes, so i'll not push that idea too hard.. hehe ;)

2008-01-17 02:36
chatGPZ

i thought about something like that too.... a button meaning "i want this entry unlocked" which eventually notifies the one who locked the entry, AND puts the entry on a list for moderators to check.
2008-01-17 19:38
Tim
Account closed

yes yes yes.. exactly!
2008-01-17 21:10
assiduous
Account closed

Maybe its just me but if i see a locked entry with some info/shot/sidfile missing then i don't bother with contacting anyone and just move on. I don't have time to contact each and every maintainer, thats just too much of a hassle for me. As far as i have noticed not even 50 % of maintainers are meticulous enough to include ALL the info. more often that not there's some bit missing. the question is: why should I bother if not only they didn't but also made it impossible for others to complete the entry. I can understand that some things might slip ones attention but putting spokes in others` wheels is a nono to me and discourages me from contributing.
2008-01-17 21:24
chatGPZ

yes, this is a problem. the massive amount of locked entries originate from the times when there was little moderation, almost no logging, and too much vandalism going on. with better tools for all that beeing developed, it will hopefully be easier to maintain, and less locking will be necessary.
2008-01-18 16:32
Tim
Account closed

Well that simply calls for unlocking and delete preventing and mutliple fields.. which makes me think to something i need to ad to the 'please add..' post right away ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Scooby/G★P/Light
Stone/Prosonix/Offence
Frostbyte/Artline De..
cba
Krill/Plush
CA$H/TRiAD