Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > What is wanted of Old School vs New School (Content)
2008-08-14 19:15
The Love God
Account closed

What is wanted of Old School vs New School (Content)

I've only been following threads in this forum a couple of days, and I am very recently registered. However, in reading and browsing, I get the general impression that there is a distinctly different treatment regarding content acceptable for the CSDb, though I find it hard to understand what is exactly wanted.

The desire for quality, added value, the first/original/complete crack and game (with intro) I get. What I don't get is how you can compare the apples of 1982-85 (BASIC or no intro, disk doctored credits, or just multicolor image) to the oranges of 86-89 when the intro developed into a monster, and the demo scene from that era... I will leave the What is a dentro? thread alone, and bash my head on "trackmoish" until it's schematic is made available and it may take a while before I look it over ;)

How do importers fit into this? Keep the fuck out, or just rip their intros but leave the game out of it since it was cracked by someone else? Just a screen shot? There were some games that arrived into my country looking like Bugs Bunny's suitcase after the world tour. With so many intros packed on 'em like stickers. While it documents it's travels, it also marked how distant we/the group was from establishment with the foreign scene(s), which I am sure will cause some eyes to roll thinking "They're so low on the food chain, they must be lame!" We did have talented groups and people making intros and demos. But I don't see a clear cut definition, or at least, one that imbues on me the ncessary understanding of where to proceed cautiously, and what is definately welcome (Keeping in mind that era of BASIC, disk doctored branding/credit, hi-res, etc.)

Is there a specific thread or glaringly obvious section that outlines this which I've missed?

I am asking before I even think about dusting off all those keyboards! Right now, I'm happy just adding entries off the top of my head of groups/sceners I can remember.

Thanks,
TLG
2008-08-14 19:21
Danzig

i god damn don't get your point, even reading your post twice. this is a database to preserve history and support future. the only thing pissing people off is stuff that simply sucks by any means.

so, don't get me wrong, whatcha want?
2008-08-14 19:41
The Love God
Account closed

Directions.

If it's too wordy for ya, sorry.
2008-08-14 20:18
Danzig

since i suppose it's stuff from the past: simply add it.

if it might (or for sure) is a recrack or similar, the answers are still not spoken imho; simply add it.

afaik nobody adding "lame" old stuff froms other people ever got bashed. i doubt that it will get deleted. hey, it's history ;) it might even light up some nowadays unsure facts and that is appreciated by some dudes here for sure.

keep'em coming, pal.
2008-08-15 16:49
The Love God
Account closed

I think the "Release standards for cracks in CSDb" thread holds the answer to what any early 80s scener that's new here needs to know. But still, it doesn't say, "Your old import group's intro that you never changed for 14 months, and the game its packed onto, are wanted by CSDb." You just have to sift through all that discussion about current scene activity.

Thanks Danzig :)
2008-08-15 21:33
Danzig

Dunno what for ;) but you're welcome :)
2008-08-16 01:46
chatGPZ

Quote:

I think the "Release standards for cracks in CSDb" thread holds the answer to what any early 80s scener that's new here needs to know.

not at all - that thread is *only* about stuff that gets released *today*.

for the other rules check here: http://noname.c64.org/csdb/help.php?section=rules

(but yeah, what danzig said =P)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 135
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)