Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Downloads and votes and the public
2012-12-02 14:51
PAL

Downloads and votes and the public

We in offence got this mail, and also several others like it in meaning... I think this is something we could have a talk about as it is something that is a bit important. It really is, because there are so many people out there actually liking the things we do create. CSDB is a hangaround place where we get away from the rest of the world maybe but could we do something with this in future?

------------------

Hey,
can you forward this to Ole Marius?
He said that "hundreds of people download tunes to check them out, but only 20 or so care to vote" about the Highscore Ballad Compo. Well ... I know why! You can't get an account at CSDb unless you can call yourself active in the scene, so lots and lots and lots of people out there will never have an account (= can't vote) because they don't know how to code / to make a SID / whatever. And since I don't have an account either, I can't tell him that ... :)

------------------

Just something I think is important to talk about....

... 38 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-12-03 17:41
G-Fellow
Account closed

Talking about getting fresh blood to the C64 scene, mentioned above. Someone could make here in the CSDb a "How to start your C64 szene career" with alot links to most useful tools for coders, graphicians and musicians. Also links to descriptions of several tools such a link to the C64 http://codebase64.org/doku.php Also with hints for the best tools in use with the a C64 Emulator, for example which Cartridge tool and hints to the best hardware tools, for example 1541Ultimate-II.

This "How to start" could be above in the Help section or it get a own area. Maybe there could be made a Beginner and Advanced "How to start".

Than every possible new scener can create his own first C64 product, a PC graphician can use several tools to make C64 graphics, a C++ coder could learn coding on the C64 and a PC musician could learn some of the C64 music-editors. The people could than create directly a own product and release it at the CSDb and get the full C64 szene CSDb account.

If this not already exist somewhere...
2012-12-03 18:29
OMP

Ah, they're not voting cause they can't... Of course. Never thought about that. Not sure I knew either. So I can't create profiles to vote all my shit up?

Those are all interesting questions raised here. Should perhaps be able to have guest members of some kind. But as mentioned this isn't Lemon or Pouet or what ever. Hmmm

Hmmmm
2012-12-03 18:43
Dane
Account closed

Hmmmm indeed.

PAL wants to let all of his friends in here so they can vote for his stuff.

STE wants to allow access to a hitherto unknown phalanx that is too refined for CSDB.

DANE wants public votes. Or no votes at all. I think it's been at last two months since we had that old thread bumped.

And browsing the thread I see that almost everybody got what they wanted. Except me. Bummer.
2012-12-03 19:38
Kristian

And I want 100% anonymous votes in competitions or/and without the possibility to change it whenever a vote is given. Actually I'd like to see the vote statistics hidden as long as the voting is going on as well. And to get rid of a little bit of the downvoting we can do like they do in ski jumping: Remove the highest and lowest votes and make an average of the rest... or something like that :)
2012-12-03 19:43
CreaMD

Kristian, you will get your 100% anonymous voting (and 100% anonymous entries) in upcoming C64.sk Sid Compo. ;-))
2012-12-03 19:45
iAN CooG

The way the competition was started here is actually an abuse of CSDb, strictly speaking. This is a database where to document releases and party/compos held somewhere else, and votes on single entries here shouldn't be mixed with the compo votes, they don't reflect those in the actual compo in an absolute manner, because people can still vote entries after the compo ended and results published. CSDb in other words, isn't actually the place to hold compos, but only to document them. Hence, the request for changing how things work here to make better compo voting, shouldn't get any consequences. Make a site, put stuff there and manage your voting as you want. my 2 cents.
2012-12-03 19:50
Kristian

Creamd, looking forward to it :)
2012-12-03 19:52
Kristian

Ian, that's true, but maybe CSDB could expand a little to cover those things as well? I mean, since (some) of the active people are already here, why "chase" them elsewhere to have their fun?
2012-12-03 20:39
CreaMD

The place is visited and motivates it's community to be creative, so it would be useful to have tools for online compo organising. There is a lot of stuff that could be done to move this site to next level. Allowing guest accounts (for non-editor) is one of them. Ditching of anonymous voting another (hi Dane ;-)
2012-12-03 22:12
PAL

I think you are getting a bit to blue-screen nerdy a lot of times... I just thought I would post that email here because I think it is important to have a talk on these matters... It is no personal thing from me? I do not even know that guy... and all I said were that even MY PAYING CLIENTS, THE ONES THET PAY FOR MY HOURS AT WORK do watch the c64 demos on youtube and think it is really great... And to me that is really exciting... it is just outstandingly cool. This is not people sitting at the room in their parents home, it is grown people of both gender thinking these rear things are cool... it is even people that do not know the machine at all... but they like the style and retro and sound or different things... it is worth taking into consideration for our community and that were my thought on posting something about it here.

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fungus/Nostalgia
Andy/AEG
Krill/Plush
jmin
Guests online: 136
Top Demos