Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Downloads and votes and the public
2012-12-02 14:51
PAL

Downloads and votes and the public

We in offence got this mail, and also several others like it in meaning... I think this is something we could have a talk about as it is something that is a bit important. It really is, because there are so many people out there actually liking the things we do create. CSDB is a hangaround place where we get away from the rest of the world maybe but could we do something with this in future?

------------------

Hey,
can you forward this to Ole Marius?
He said that "hundreds of people download tunes to check them out, but only 20 or so care to vote" about the Highscore Ballad Compo. Well ... I know why! You can't get an account at CSDb unless you can call yourself active in the scene, so lots and lots and lots of people out there will never have an account (= can't vote) because they don't know how to code / to make a SID / whatever. And since I don't have an account either, I can't tell him that ... :)

------------------

Just something I think is important to talk about....

... 38 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-12-04 12:15
Linus

Quote: I agree with Groepaz and ian, too. There is a place for everything. CSDb is a great place because it's a C64 Scene Database, it's main function is to be just that. There are other places that work as forums for everyone. Lemon64 is out there f.ex. In Sweden we have got Folkvagnen, germans have Forum64 etc etc.

My main concern, and I do not want to sound elitistic here, is that letting "anyone" in to csdb is that the database will be FUBAR. People that have the understanding for how the scene works, how releases should be credited etc, adds stuff for CSDb, and I would be sad if all the hours I have spent finding and preserving stuff would be fucked up because some moron changes stuff or want to trash stuff. Yes, it can happen even now, and hs hapened, but with "anyone" in here, all our hours would go to save the stuff that is already here.

Quote:
My main concern, and I do not want to sound elitistic here, is that letting "anyone" in to csdb is that the database will be FUBAR.

+1

Still, while I can relate to Groepaz' point of view there is a flipside to the coin: Would the scene be as relatively healthy as it is now without CSDB being the central place? I doubt it.

Just have a look at how many old retired geezers (including me, although my roots are to be found in the 90s Amiga scene) gained interest back by discovering CSDB.

2012-12-04 12:32
Kristian

The C-64 scene is a pretty small scene. Why spread it all over the place? Yes to centralization.
2012-12-04 12:35
CreaMD

I never said I demand having new features here. I'm just not agains them in general.

And yes. Lemon was different society when I was checking it more often than once a year. I still believe, that if something related to scene works there, it doesn't mean it's the right place for the scene. But of course it's not bad if people willing to use it are going to use it and find it useful for what they do. I woudln't mind if there was C64 compo that would attract thousands of listeners/watchers, whatever. But that's probably not going to happen unless we make a special compo (I think I know what could work.. we should try it.. but I don't want to say what is it, I should do it right now instead ;-))

roman
2012-12-04 13:15
chatGPZ

"Why spread it all over the place? Yes to centralization."
the various sometimes very different opinions on how to run a compo in this thread are a good example of why that is a bad idea, imho. centralization inevitable (for both technical and manpower reasons) means same rules for everyone and kills all diversity. this is already a problem for the db itself - which in turn is another good example of how and why this is problematic and why "csdb is not the scene" is fundamental. infact imho the thought of "the scene is on csdb" is quite discriminating towards a lot of people who are not active on csdb for whatever reason (and not because they wouldnt get an account).
2012-12-04 13:53
hedning

Kristian Røstøen: C64 is actually the second biggest scene there is (Windows is no 1, but going down, C64 is going up!). Not that it is big, but it is a true survivor. ;)

http://blog.subsquare.com/state-of-the-demoscene-in-numbers
2012-12-04 14:14
CreaMD

Pity I didn't see graph with demoparties in that article. I would expect C64 scene having quite nice curve there too.
2012-12-04 15:53
TWW

Quote: I think you are getting a bit to blue-screen nerdy a lot of times... I just thought I would post that email here because I think it is important to have a talk on these matters... It is no personal thing from me? I do not even know that guy... and all I said were that even MY PAYING CLIENTS, THE ONES THET PAY FOR MY HOURS AT WORK do watch the c64 demos on youtube and think it is really great... And to me that is really exciting... it is just outstandingly cool. This is not people sitting at the room in their parents home, it is grown people of both gender thinking these rear things are cool... it is even people that do not know the machine at all... but they like the style and retro and sound or different things... it is worth taking into consideration for our community and that were my thought on posting something about it here.

"it is grown people of both gender thinking these rear things are cool..."

I too think those rear things are cool ;-)

It'a a rare thinng to not like those rear things (hehe)

Sorry, coudn't resist. OT though: Yeah I agree with all of you!
2012-12-04 18:04
hedning

Quote: Pity I didn't see graph with demoparties in that article. I would expect C64 scene having quite nice curve there too.

I believe C64 is even bigger than his statistics show. He used Pouet as source for the data. It would have been much more interesting if he used CSDb.
2012-12-04 20:30
enthusi

Pouet really is a bad measure for C64 activity. I fully agree...
2012-12-04 20:56
Nightlord

as data driven as I like to be, you don't even need too much data to see that C64 scene is soon to be the #1 scene again :)

I agree with Groepaz mostly. CSDB is a scene database. Unfortunately it has also become the main "release platform" and storage area.

Voting here is ridicilously broken. But it is the best platform right now for demo makers to get some feedback on their work. Pouet feedback is just not as well thought. And proper demo reviews in diskmags would have been better (but doesn't happen often enough anymore).

So it is what it is. Don't think too much about it :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Apollyon/ALD
Fungus/Nostalgia
Asphodel
CreaMD/React
Guests online: 147
Top Demos