Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Scrollwars demo on Vice 2.2
2013-12-04 20:56
mstram
Account closed

Scrollwars demo on Vice 2.2

Scrollwars

Is anyone running this on Vice ?

I'm trying to run it with Vice 2.2 on Win XP, all I get is a reddish brown screen.

I tried setting drive 9 to Scrollwars (B)_rc2.d64 after starting the program from Scrollwars (A)_rc2.d64, thinking maybe it was looking for the "second" disk, but no difference.

The machine code monitor shows the program just looping at :

(C:$58c3) d 58c3
.C:58c3 4C C3 58 JMP $58C3
2013-12-04 20:59
AmiDog

I doubt anyone is still using such an old VICE release. Get an updated one from http://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/ and see if it works better.
2013-12-04 21:06
iAN CooG

Rule of thumb in VICE for EVERY d64 based software:
Enable True Drive Emulation
Disable Virtual Device Traps
enable ONLY 1 drive as device 8. No printer or anything else as serial devices active, unless they clearly state they support more drives, but it's not the case of demos for sure.
99% of "problems" are due to these settings. Leave them always like that.
2013-12-05 00:44
mstram
Account closed

Quote: Rule of thumb in VICE for EVERY d64 based software:
Enable True Drive Emulation
Disable Virtual Device Traps
enable ONLY 1 drive as device 8. No printer or anything else as serial devices active, unless they clearly state they support more drives, but it's not the case of demos for sure.
99% of "problems" are due to these settings. Leave them always like that.

Those settings did the trick ! (And with the "old" emulator ;) ) I *will* download a new version too though.

Thanks !
2013-12-05 01:31
theWizard
Account closed

or get a real 64 mate , loads on ebay going for next to nothing.

one on now for £9
2013-12-05 01:45
mstram
Account closed

Quote: or get a real 64 mate , loads on ebay going for next to nothing.

one on now for £9

Ya definitely !

I *had* a complete system many yrs ago, and sold it .. also many yrs ago for 1/10 or less of what I paid for it.

That was B.I. (before Internet ;) ), and I had no clue then what the SID was capable of. I don't remember if I had any decent music programs for it.

>ebay L9

Heh, didn't check that particular ad, but often the shipping is way more than the machine.

I'll take a look on Ebay ... other online markets.

Mike
2013-12-05 18:13
theWizard
Account closed

there's some cheap bargains on there , some peeps know what there worth to a old school fan and they are starting to price em up a lot ( theres one bastard selling a c64 for £499) there all going to be that price eventually , be a good idea to buy a few and sell them again without profit ( ive got a 3rd one comming now ) , a lots trying to make money off us lot lol

you could make a few quid if you done it right but i dont think anyone should ...

buy em , add postage to the price and re sell in a few years or everyone who wants one in time will be paying stupid money for em.

im giving bad people new ideas here , i hope ya dont do this for profit. got good memories of the c64 days , dont spoil it.
2013-12-05 18:20
theWizard
Account closed

Quote: Ya definitely !

I *had* a complete system many yrs ago, and sold it .. also many yrs ago for 1/10 or less of what I paid for it.

That was B.I. (before Internet ;) ), and I had no clue then what the SID was capable of. I don't remember if I had any decent music programs for it.

>ebay L9

Heh, didn't check that particular ad, but often the shipping is way more than the machine.

I'll take a look on Ebay ... other online markets.

Mike

the sid sound chip is amazing mate( i know ya know ). a polish guy did a remix of myth on a c64 midi synth , have you heard it ? its FUKING amazing and i dont usually say anything is amazing but that remake is , its brilliant hes a propper tallented musician.
2013-12-05 21:27
mstram
Account closed

Well I just found out about the HVSC collection and started to listen to the ~40,000 tunes ;)

>"Myth / Polish Guy" .... I guess it wasn't Michal Hoffmann ?

I love his tunes !

I don't see anything under Myth for him.
2013-12-05 21:51
theWizard
Account closed

Quote: Well I just found out about the HVSC collection and started to listen to the ~40,000 tunes ;)

>"Myth / Polish Guy" .... I guess it wasn't Michal Hoffmann ?

I love his tunes !

I don't see anything under Myth for him.

truth im not sure i heard it on youtube , was a myth remake i think , ... amazing... i tracked it down and heard something else by the same guy , propper good. wait il have a gander see if i can find it.

here you go mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqi7jyqz_U

and all his tunes

http://www.remix64.com/act/suvak-zajos/

that myth remake deserves 90% not 76% imho its a decent good remake my oppinion for what its worth like is that he shoulda let the main synth roll on over instea dof cutting it like he does but , he made it n i for one like it think he done a real good job.
2013-12-06 03:50
mstram
Account closed

Quote: truth im not sure i heard it on youtube , was a myth remake i think , ... amazing... i tracked it down and heard something else by the same guy , propper good. wait il have a gander see if i can find it.

here you go mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqi7jyqz_U

and all his tunes

http://www.remix64.com/act/suvak-zajos/

that myth remake deserves 90% not 76% imho its a decent good remake my oppinion for what its worth like is that he shoulda let the main synth roll on over instea dof cutting it like he does but , he made it n i for one like it think he done a real good job.

That youtube sounds like more than just a "bare" c64 ;)

The version by Tel Jeroen sounds (musically) similar, but without the same "production" quality.

Wonder what gear the youtube guy used.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Abynx
celticdesign/G★P/M..
A3/AFL
Guests online: 55
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)