Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Turrican III / Smash Level 3-1 Video
2004-04-11 18:23
CyberBrain
Administrator

Turrican III / Smash Level 3-1 Video

Someone added this non-C64 release to the database. It's a DivX-clip of the upcummin turrican 3. I deleted it again, but just wanted to post the link to the clip:

http://home.arcor.de/sceneworld/level3-1.AVI

it was made 5. April 2004

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-04-18 22:44
CyberBrain
Administrator

I don't know... hmm.. well...

A release in CSDb is a C64-scene-release (that rules out TDJ's swap-mails :) They're C64-scene, but not releases). Other parts of C64-scene-history are written as trivia etc.. (except ofcause the group-, scener-, event-part of history). Those videos you guys are talking about should maybe be mentioned in a trivia instead - including an URL to 'em.

------------------------------------------------------------
For example:

This Turrican video, i think, belongs in a comments (like "production notes") for the real turrican 3 release, once it's finished. I don't think even AEG would call this video a Smash Design release :)

The vision video, maybe should be an "external link" for the vision party.
------------------------------------------------------------

The question is: what is a release? (is a website a release for example? It has also been coded and can be about the c64-scene)

When it comes down to it, think about this: Do you consider a video-file a *release* in the C64-scene?

(...and if a video-file is a release, a flash-intro must be a release too, and so on. If a video is a C64-scene-release a whole lot of other stuff are suddently C64-scene-releases aswell, so this is not just a small question)
2004-04-19 08:57
Oxidy
Account closed

CyberBrain:
I can sense hours with semantics and definitions about this c-64 scene database and what it should contain.

This Wrath Designs video file is a demo, thus in my view a release. A very much c64-scene related such.

Of course I could have added it as trivia, but to what? The actual demo has not been released yet, and might not be for several years to come.

If it was AEG who put up the T-III preview on CSDb it's strange if he added it as a release, and he at the same time didn't consider it to be a release.

Reply to your question:
I don't consider _any_ video file to be a release in the C64-scene. I do however think that a demo using the C64, presented in another format _could_ be. Much like Global Trash II by Kyd & Balle/The Silents in December 91 in my eyes is an Amiga release eventhough it was released as a video file.
2004-04-20 07:09
VoDKa

Off topic, but no Amiga was used in "Global Trash 2".

Anyway, I would vote NO to linking non c64-based production in the database. A post in the forum should be enough. Or use pouet.net for linking other platform relzes.
2004-04-20 09:57
Oxidy
Account closed

VDK:
Hmm, ok. My memory let me down. At least Global Trash was made with an Amiga. Then, someone might enlight me about what equipment they used for Global Trash II. Read something about the equipment of some TV-station. Anyway, I still have the vhs-"copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy" of this demo that I brought home from a party. It was really mindblowing for its time.

Well, I can't see what harm they do, but if everyone feel so strongly about it, then use your magic finger and delete the entry.
2004-04-20 21:15
Seven

ahem... Story of Shining8 - The Movie anyone?
2004-04-21 06:30
Stryyker

Ok, delete that entry too. Maybe someone can create a collection of them online muck like RKO (C64 tunes remixed and are not playable on C64).
2004-04-21 12:48
Nafcom

We are really speaking about simply deleting entries? Oh well, how down we came to just destroy others' work which has been in the database for almost 3 years without bothering anyone. At least, it did cost time/energy and effort do built this database and yes, even to add such entries.
2004-04-21 13:19
cadaver

Yes.. and the commercial games with no scene-relation should go as well. Maybe some fiendish script for that purpose?

If the others' work is off-topic for the database, why should there be any consideration, based on some sentimental or courtesy-reasons? Rather, those who added the stuff should have thought twice before adding :)
2004-04-21 13:31
Nafcom

wasn't a SMan enough???
2004-04-21 18:22
Steppe

Nafcom, you're seeing it from a little wrong perspective, me thinks. It's not about the work and effort that it cost people to add insignificant releases. I could add a couple of PC demos and it would surely be a lot of work for me to do this. The point is that PC demos don't belong here in the first place. (Yeah, yeah, it's not about PC demos, it was just an example for something so completely off the track I could imagine).

But in principle I don't mind too much having the odd scene-related release here which doesn't run on a real C64. The Turrican video surely doesn't fall in that category. The Shining8 or the WD video do.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
DonChaos
zscs
Alakran_64
Didi/Laxity
mahamsp
TheEnemy/TREX/THD