Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted
2004-04-22 13:04
Lord Crucifier

In the Dutch news: Fairlight busted

The following is part of a story about the police busting Dutch dorms on the hunt for illegal software:

"Op internet gaan geruchten dat de computerkrakersbende Fairlight is opgerold. De leden houden zich sinds 1986 bezig met het inbreken in computers, later hebben ze zich toegelegd op de verspreiding van illegale software, zoals computerspelletjes.

Op de universiteit van Twente zouden arrestaties zijn verricht. Op internetadressen die zijn gelieerd aan de universiteit circuleren foto's van de inbeslagname van systeemkasten bij een studentencomplex op de campus.

Een Duits hobbymagazine schrijft dat Fairlight spoedige publicatie van het nieuwe schietspel Hitman 3 heeft aangekondigd. Het actiespel voor zowel de PC, XboX als Playstation verschijnt officieel op 30 april en kost in de winkel 60 euro. "Als de berichten kloppen is de illegale verspreiding van computerspellen een zware slag toegebracht", aldus de redactie van Game Vision."

Basically it says an old hacker group called Fairlight has been caught for cracking and spreading illegal software. It mentions they started hacking in 1986 and went on to cracking software later on.

I'm not very known with todays PC/console w4r3z-scene, but this is not OUR Fairlight, now is it??

... 59 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-04-30 23:35
goldfish
Account closed

Quote: There you go again, replying on a post that was not meant for you, instead of replying the one that was. Maybe because you know you're just talking bullshit, saying the same thing over and over without proving your point?

And Snoopy: just because you don't remember me doesn't mean I didn't have 'any fame' back in the 80's. And just because I remember you doesn't mean that you did.

You were in Weird Science right? So you must remember NOP (later Cycleburner). Did you know that he did only one coopdemo ever in his c64 career? And guess with whom?

I'll give you a hint: it was the same guy who was #1 in the Horizon greetingslist for a long time back in the late 80's. A group he also did a coopdemo with by the way.

Not bad for a lamer, huh?

Look here, I feel obliged to comment on this one.

Judge, you should fancy a career in lawyerism, because at first glance it looked as if YOU were the one mentioned first in the HORIZON greeting list.

That would have been quite impressive, I guess.

Basicly because I myself can connect the name HORIZON to a famous demo group (and this despite my failing memory... where did the wine in that "rosé" bottle go???).

But apparently you were talking about some coder whom you did a demo together with...

So basicly, back in the days, you were famous by proxy.

Kinda shady record don't you think?

GDF [L]

2004-04-30 23:53
goldfish
Account closed

On the subject of good or bad English

Despite my ailing memory...

I remember the sysop of THE ADDICTION (his handle slips it, used to be the cracker of the archrivals to ESI) once wanted to correct me on what he considered to be a repeating spelling mistake of mine...

He explained to me the word loser was with only one o, saying something to the effect that even if we were comfortable and loose, we weren't losers (this dude was mega elite I tell you).

I had to reply I had never written "looser" to call the lame names, but consistently labeled them l00sers, stressing the double zeroes they truly were.

GDF [L]

"Even I slip, but I don't slip that often" (Ice-T)

2004-05-01 07:46
TDJ

Quote: Look here, I feel obliged to comment on this one.

Judge, you should fancy a career in lawyerism, because at first glance it looked as if YOU were the one mentioned first in the HORIZON greeting list.

That would have been quite impressive, I guess.

Basicly because I myself can connect the name HORIZON to a famous demo group (and this despite my failing memory... where did the wine in that "rosé" bottle go???).

But apparently you were talking about some coder whom you did a demo together with...

So basicly, back in the days, you were famous by proxy.

Kinda shady record don't you think?

GDF [L]

No, I was talking about the demogroup Horizon. You can check several of their demos for proof. The guy I did the demo with was Bagder (Daniel), the name of the demo is Xplosion.

Xplosion!

Also, I don't think I was 'famous' just because I was #1 in their greetingslist, if I was 'famous' (a very relative term when it comes to somebody in the scene) it was because of the many demos I did for WWE and later for founding Focus and getting that group to the top (together with my very talented team-members, ofcourse). But it has never been about 'fame' for me, I only mentioned those facts above as a reply to Radar's statement that I didn't account for anything back then. Which in his eyes I still may not do, but I'm kinda proud of my accomplishments.

And just for the record, the demo I did with Cycleburner: Xcellence

Those demos weren't done because I was such an excellent coder but because I got along real well with both these guys. Finally met them in real life on the Horizon Easter 1990 party where I even formed a new label with Cycleburner (Xcellence Software Designs). Not that we ever released anything but still :)
2004-05-01 08:11
Crossfire
Account closed

Oh, yeah... I remember that co-op demo... Damn, a screenshot can really help kickstart a memory, haha.. Referring here to the WS+WWE demo..
2004-05-03 07:53
Cmr
Account closed

Quote: Victory? A victory can be celebrated when a fight took place - you were just too far away from even entering a fight!

YOU are still trying to tell me that MY english is bad? Hm, lemme see:

- "...you'll refuse to admit you are wrong..." ???
- "...bragging match..." ??? (Didn't you mention that you don't know the meaning of that word?)
- "...would want to..." ???

Yup, you're the one and only... loser!

But it's okay for me, I'll gladly push you to the other fools who have tried their luck before - right into the darkness of the reapers paradise! Good bye!

Still the same Roy as I remember...
2004-05-03 13:19
Radar
Account closed

Quote: Still the same Roy as I remember...

Ain't that nice?
2004-05-03 14:39
Slator

well, just crackers are the real heroes.
the rest are just lousy unknown lamers without any modems or bbs account that never did something else than just laming around doing stupid demos/musics whatever...

yeah that must be it...

Somehow I have the strange feeling that ignorant or arrogant ppl might have missed some important parts of history....

2004-05-04 11:23
Radar
Account closed

Quote: well, just crackers are the real heroes.
the rest are just lousy unknown lamers without any modems or bbs account that never did something else than just laming around doing stupid demos/musics whatever...

yeah that must be it...

Somehow I have the strange feeling that ignorant or arrogant ppl might have missed some important parts of history....

But that's actually not the point which we tried to quote out of this conversation, but anyhow... I saw a lot of demo-coders or other artists beside crackers on the boards...
2004-05-06 05:47
Tronic
Account closed

Wow... This post started by commenting on the Fastlink busts, and then it ended up in a total flame-war..

Woohoo!!! ;-)

Good to see Radar hasn't changed a bit!! :-D

Well... off to read some more useful threads...

TRONIC [ILS]
2004-05-06 05:49
Crossfire
Account closed

No no, we agreed this wasn't a war, just a heated discussion *LOL*
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Brataccas/HF
Fred/Channel 4
Flavioweb/🇮🇹HF..
Menace/Spaceballs
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Vent