Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > One Man Army
2004-08-08 15:29
_V_
Account closed

One Man Army

(I wanted to post this in the LCP thread at first, but it is not really on-topic. Still, I'm interested enough to find out what you guys think, so it turned up here)

To one-man-armies and 'multi-taskers' such as Dane, Hein, Hollowman, HCL, Jeff, etc... Manfred Trenz... :

You know, I have been thinking about joining Dane's one-man-army club, but I'd rather focus on the things one does best. Spreading out your forces eventually eats the time you have available, and you can't do as much for each thing as you'd like.

You do have the advantage of being without conflict as far as the implementation of one's ideas is concerned, but I have a feeling that you get this feeling of "...if I had the freedom to only do *insert element here*, I would have had the time to go much further."

Doing two things is already 'dividing'... what's your viewpoint?

What do the other 'multi-taskers' think? Work in a small group for focussed teamwork and more time for what you like most, or multi-task for a better overview on the prod?

In your opinion, is multitasking a result of necessity, or general interest and love for the c64? Other reasons, perhaps?

Let's talk =)

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-08-10 09:42
SIDWAVE
Account closed

A type of gas holds physical/spiritual together, it's called Orgon, therefore the word orgasm, when it is released.

Orgon is released in orgasm, because we generate more of it then we need - to make babies. Sex for fun is just a great way to get rid of the surplus.

Orgon, aka the force from starwars - not sci fi, but is in the universe everywhere.
2004-08-10 10:14
TDJ

So who wants to join my new group Orgon then? One condition: you have to be an OMA, meaning my first task is to kick myself out
2004-08-10 11:16
VIC

"One Man Army" what a sad concept...

...sad but impressive, if the result is well executed :P
2004-08-10 13:06
_V_
Account closed

Well believe it or not, but my question wasn't philosophic (this time =). It's almost a personal question - I really am not sure what to pick, so I want to find out what the pros and cons of each side are. And it's much appreciated to hear your opinion.

Yes, I'd like to do what my heart and mind tell me to do. Right now, however, they flip and flop between both alternatives. Hopefully you guys can help me get my bearings right, and perhaps even help out others who are struggling with the same problem.
2004-08-10 14:22
Earthshaker

Quote: So who wants to join my new group Orgon then? One condition: you have to be an OMA, meaning my first task is to kick myself out

You an OMA? I always thought you were an OPA! ;)
2004-08-10 15:11
TDJ

Quote: You an OMA? I always thought you were an OPA! ;)

Duh! That's why I can't be part of the team ..

(And no, although I feel like one sometimes, I am not an opa yet ..)
2004-08-10 18:09
hollowman

i didnt have much of a choise, i had been doing
mostly gfx, but also some coding, but then logger
disappeared and i could either pick up coding
or try to find another coder(not much chance
in sweden around spring '99)

it would be nice to focus on one thing, but
i dont think i could become a great graphician
or a great coder, so i do my best and try
to make something good out of the combination.

i would really like to work with more
people, but most are too unreliable
2004-08-10 18:25
Optimus

That's an original and very interesting discussion. For I was always admiring in a strange way those few OMAs. And because it has just something to do with my feelings too. I wanted to become one of them but now I totally avoid the thought.

Reaching that point depends on the focus. If mine was attention(egoism?), then this will hardly lead me to this point. I can't even stand up in my one and only activity, coding, but that's perhaps because I was oppresing myself, for doing something I don't totally like. I won't reach that focus with the wrong motivations in my head. Instead I am trying these days to find better motives for being active in the scene.

The words control and egoism that someone mentioned complete each other imho. If the reason of being hyperactive is my egoism, then I have to control myself to reach that. Because myself will prefer to stay lazy than working hard for the scene, so I will have to oppress myself in order to achieve my (misfocused?) goal. At this point, I am away of the real motives that could drive up my activity. So, I wondered how those people can keep beeing really so active and going on doing that? They HAVE to like it like hell! Or not?

I choosed to be a coder, but I'd like to try tracking or pixeling oneday. At least they might be more fun and direct than coding. But I never found the opportunity because I always oblidge myself to finish some coding for a new demo (which I also never finish :P). I am chasing deadlines again without a good cause. I wish I could give time to myself for trying something else :(

But then again, I would do one activity for a longer time, instead of everything for a little. I still can't get how some people can be OMAs!

Not questioned to me, but I decided to express my thoughts, because they mean something for me..
2004-08-10 20:02
_V_
Account closed

Optimus__Not questioned to me, but I decided to express my thoughts, because they mean something for me..__

Yes, you weren't questioned directly, because I don't know all the OMAs (and the OPAs ;) out there (hence the ... in the lead post). Nonetheless, your thoughts are more than welcome =).

An undying motivation for their platform is what drives someone to become an OMA. I remember when I was 14-17 years old, seeing those great Bonzai and Censor classics. I really, really, really wanted to make something just as cool.

Although the demos I look up to have changed (platform, even), that drive to 'make something just as cool' still is there. And yeah, if you happen to be alone, the urge to produce becomes so dominant that you force yourself into doing everything.

Because others often aren't that reliable, true. You really have to search long and hard to find someone with the same drive and motivation, who happens to be good where you are a bit weaker, and who you can work with.

Finding the dream team is just that... a dream which takes seemingly forever before it becomes true. But when it happens, it's bliss. Which is why I am a bit envious, yet also happy for the BD trinity of HCL, Dane and Jailbird. There's an enormous potential there, and I hope they can find the time to make it happen.

Speaking of such,

Hollowman__i would really like to work with more
people, but most are too unreliable__

Don't give up. I'm sure you'll get the teammate(s) you need some day.

__it would be nice to focus on one thing, but
i dont think i could become a great graphician
or a great coder, so i do my best and try
to make something good out of the combination.__
You have, on several counts. I won't say more, because then we're in another discussion =).

Anyway, the drive which brings someone to become an OMA is clear. But, is it better to focus this drive on what you do best, or distribute it just so you can produce something before your brain short-circuits (so to speak ;)?

Right now, you all have made me feel that the Focus-thing is perhaps the wiser choice... I have read somewhere that each graphician has 10000 bad drawings in him or her. You first have to draw these before you get to the good stuff. I'm beginning to feel that whoever said that, is right. Same goes for music and code, too, I guess, but I'm not sure if 10000 is the right number in those cases :)
2004-08-10 21:50
SIDWAVE
Account closed

_V_ , my advise is that you do what you are best at and have the most fun from. And if you then need to apply another area to get your main thing carried out fully, seek help as needed.

?

If you just can't stop doing something that is really not your strong force, it must be because you want to improve, or have fun doing it anyway.

Nobody's forcing you.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iAN CooG/HVSC
Hoogo/Padua
bugjam
Xiny6581/Dees Produc..
CA$H/TRiAD
Isildur/Samar