Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C64DTV hardware keyboard problem
2018-02-01 15:46
Rex

C64DTV hardware keyboard problem

Hi all,

I have gotten hold of a C64 DTV v2 PAL board, and am trying to attach hardware to it to get to a point where i can run DTV demos on the real hardware. Initially I had success with 5v power (from a USB cable) and soldering on color fix resistors plus a composite cable. With this I am at a point where it works - i can turn it on, the composite output works, the games are playable etc.)

My next step is to try to attach a keyboard - and here I have run into problems. I am hoping someone here has experience with the C64DTV and can help me understand the problem I am having - so I can fix it.

I have soldered wires to the KEYB CLK & KEYB DTA points TP3/TP4 (http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/foto/cip/computer_c64_dtv2_07.jpg). I have attached these to a PS/2 connector together with 5V and GND.

When use the keyboard on my C64DTV after booting into BASIC (by quick clicking left/right during boot) nothing happens. The only key that has an effect is AltGr - pressing this changes between the upper/lower case fonts. When I load the "BASIC PROMPT.PRG" the screen shows some of the keypresses I did on the previous screen - but I still cannot enter new characters on the keyboard. AltGr no longer has any effect.

Does anyone here have experience with hardware modifying the C64DTV? Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Does anyone have a good idea for how to debug further?

So far I have tried the following:
- I have tested with three different PS/2 keyboards - all give the same result.
- I have tested the PS/2 connector and keyboards with an Ardunio running PS2Keyboard a to ensure that the connector and wires are attached correctly - here I receive all key presses.
- I have attached the keyboard wires to an oscilloscope - the signals on the wires look like correct PS/2 codes - and are the same as when connected to the Arduino.
- I have examined the soldering points and ensured that the wires are connected and that there are no accidental solder connections to other components.
- I have tried powering the keyboard before I power the C64DTV to ensure it is not initialization noise.
- I have tried pressing all keys (incl. SHIFT/ALT/CTRL) to ensure they are not "stuck".
- I have tried resetting the DTV.
2018-02-02 11:25
Zer0-X

Are you powering the keyboard on the DTV from 3.3V or 5V?

Other than that it looks correct.

Some rare keyboards require initialization command and do not work on the DTV without a microcontroller added between the DTV and a keyboard, but yours likely isn't one of those since AltGr does something.
2018-02-02 21:06
Rex

I am powering the keyboard with 5v directly from the USB power that also powers the C64DTV.

I am using three different ps/2 keyboards - a logitech and two different noname (one really old).
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Bansai/BSILabs
Mason/Unicess
cba
TheEnemy/TREX/THD
Gordian
Rick/F4CG