Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > sidcloud
2020-04-16 16:05
DKT

sidcloud

Howdy!

sidcloud.net

A completely new project from Samar Productions :)
SIDCLOUD is a site for streaming SIDs for those who like to be on time with the latest productions on C64.
The site uses the largest and best production database csdb.dk as a data source.
You won't find here SID collections like HVSC or DEEPSID, you won't find SID search and playlist options. SIDCLOUD is pure streaming only of the latest productions released on csdb.dk.
The site engine uses SIDPLAYFP as a SID emulation tool. Every time you turn on the music, the server launches a new instance of SIDPLAYFP and sends the generated sound to the browser.
The idea of ​​creating the page appeared while driving a car, when I wanted to listen to the latest SIDs with best possible quality. The page should be clearly visible in the mobile browsers.
Unfortunately, the music doesn't play on Apple devices (iPhone, iOS), but I'm working on it.
Each song lasts 5 minutes. After this time it jumps to the next one.
Have a nice streaming :)

DKT / Samar

PS. Please remember the project is in development stage. I hope the server will handle multiple streams, so let's find out :)
You can notice small silent gap between pressing PLAY and playing, because every time you start new song sidplayfp instance is fired up. I have a plan to make a wav cache to avoid it. It will also lower CPU usage.
Website engine doesn't see ZIP files included in release or don't play obviously from D64 files.
Following release types are showed on sidcloud page: C64 Music, C64 Demo, C64 One-File Demo, C64 Intro, C64 4K Intro, C64 Crack intro, C64 Music Collection, C64 Graphics Collection, C64 Diskmag, C64 Charts, C64 Invitation, C64 1K Intro, C64 Fake Demo, C128 Release.
The amount of production visible on the site depends on the csdb.dk web service (Latest releases, look here https://csdb.dk/rss/availablefeeds.php). I plan to increase the quantity, but I have to prepare a search procedure by date of the productions released on csdb.dk.
Stay tuned.

... 6 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-04-19 21:15
hedning

Cool!
2020-04-20 09:34
Flotsam

@DKT, Cloudflare is a proxy service. All you really have to do is change your domain nameservers to Cloudflare (CF even fetches the DNS records automatically). With default settings, CF will cache all static content on it's servers around the world - the requests for those files will never even reach your server and thus it will dramatically affect the load balance of your server. So, there's no need to change anything on your website - assuming that you are using sensible querystrings with no unnecessary cache busters. Also, it will generally serve the files faster than your single server would. Even more, it has a firewall to prevent attacks. Send me a PM if your want to know more - I'm glad to help if needed. I'm really no expert, but I've set up a few Cloudflare accounts for our clients, both free and payed. The free account will most certainly be enough for your needs.
2020-05-01 13:23
Steppe

Edit: sorry, site seemed down a couple of times I tried. Now everything works again. :-)
2020-05-04 15:07
DKT

Hi.

Good news, sidcloud works on Apple's shit, now ;)
Apple's browsers (all of them use WebKit) are more intelligent then others (of course :) and heavily use "bytes ranges" feature of http standard during streaming.
Beside this there are some visual changes on site.

Next step: sid streaming radio... :)

Cheers,
DKT
2020-05-04 15:41
psych

Awesome app. Thanks!
2020-05-16 03:11
Brittle

Also, a suggestion. Can you implement search tab in the site? It lacks one AFAIK, to search specific SID tunes..
2020-05-16 10:50
DKT

@Brittle there is always 80 latest releases on the site. Do you mean to search (filter) from this 80?
I think the best would be to add a dropdown listbox with artists handles appeared in this 80 releases to filter by a handle. It will be easier for mobile users, to choose, not to write.
Hmmm... and maybe another dropdown listbox with event names to filter by specific event (?).
2020-05-16 10:59
DKT

Some people suggested two features:
1) Possibility to send link with specific release. The link that would let play specified tune.
2) Fast forward, change time position, etc. A typical play time control.
It's on TODO list, but for now I want to concentrate more on 6502 than JavaScript :)
2020-06-17 12:18
Count Zero

Using about the same filters maybe you could add something that allows to switch between Latest Releases and Latest Additions?
Not sure how resources are spent on the site though. Might be consuming a lot as Additions can be plenty.
2020-07-28 23:58
DKT

@CountZero: Back-end is asking backward for all latest releases (by ID nr) until 80 of interesting type is reached (it does it ones per day) and ask for Latest Releases RSS feed every 5 min. Then sort it by date and ID. It was my idea, but it's possible to have some more options in the future.

I fixed one thing lately: sidplayfp was hanging sometimes on demo, because of loader stuff mostly (which is not emulated by sidplayfp). Back-end marks the tune as disabled and not playable now.
Stay tuned...
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
sln.pixelrat
zscs
icon/The Silents, Sp..
Matt
subjik/F4CG