Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C*Base like webbs
2002-11-05 10:00
zyruz
Account closed

C*Base like webbs

Hi mates,

you probably have heard of the web-bbs, me,Jazzcat,Uzzy,Jucke,Macx and Taper is working on.. Now, we somehow got a major problem.

while Jazzcat,Macx,Jucke and Taper wants to have a real C*Base Emulation, including Key Events (means no mouse clicks etc) and stuff, wich means that we have to use Javascript, me and Uzzy will keep the board core PHP without any Javascript, just like Spankerz Heaven was (yep: i know it was made in Perl.. ).

So i'd like to knnow, what counts more.. having a real c*base clone with almost allfunktion, wich probably will have serious Browser and Os problems since it is build with Javascript/PHP, or just the way like SH used to be.. just with heaps of c/g graphics and mouse-click ;).

i'd like to know what you think! ..

my humble opinion is, that i dislike the idea of making a almost 100% clone emulation of a c64 c*base bbs ... and i couldn't believe that it also will emulate the feelings, you once has got, when you called a c-64 BBS... but anyway, i am open for everthing.

my 2Eurocent.

(M)
2002-11-05 13:40
taper

Yes, I am also interested in what others think about this.

Opposed to Shock'Ray, I think that a web bbs that looks and functions just like a real c*base board would be the coolest thing to do. We have seen numerous web-boards and forums using the point & click interface, and eventhough it does work, it's nothing special, nothing unique.

Ofcourse no emulation is ever perfect, and I would prefer if the true dialup boards were still bustling with life and activity, but this is evidently not the case anymore.

Subs, UD areas and so on have been the core of any bbs system, be it c64/amiga/pc or console boards. So, for me, it would bring a lot to the feeling if the bbs looked as similar to a real c64 bbs as possible, because that is one of the things that was truly unique with the legendary c64 boards, which mostly ran on c*base.

Taper/TRIAD
2002-11-05 17:40
Trazan

Give me anything like a GOOD BBS and I am there!
SH was a good place to be, but since the SCS guys left off
like a fume in a good fart, we lack a good place to meet.
Bring me anything sexy and I turn you all on!
Trazan!
2002-11-05 17:49
blackdroid
Account closed

I agree with taper and co. a cli driven interface would be nicer :)
and would also be alot faster, than the wysiwyg gfx heavy forums.
2002-11-05 17:49
Moloch

I'd like to point out a few misconceptions about "legendary boards" here:

1. Most top wares boards ran Ivory BBS back in the day. If those boards were still around once UC BBS was released - they switched.

2. Back in the day only lamer boards ran C*Base, Image BBS, AA BBS, and other similar "big" BBS programs.

I'm not bashing anybodies idea of what a good BBS was/is - just stating the facts...

Having said that - a web based C*Base board would be nice. :)

2002-11-05 18:03
taper

Moloch is right that many boards in the US ran UC BBS, but at the time I started calling out & doing h/p, newer mods of c*base totally dominated the boards overseas. I know some boards also switched from UC BBS to c*base. Ivory Bbs was probably before my modem days, so I can't comment on that.
For me, c*base always was the best system, eventhough Color64 was kinds nice aswell. Never did like UC BBS, played around with it a bit before I set up my own board Antidote in Sweden, but soon decided to go with c*base instead.

Glad to see people positive to a c*base clone, by the way! :)

Taper/TRIAD
2002-11-05 18:28
LordNikon

Web BBS? Good idea... i like bbs systems. But using key events and so on is better than clicking... so use java script ;)
2002-11-05 21:24
zyruz
Account closed

..uh, hold your horses.. hehe .. no i do not try to make a uc-bbs clone... haha .. its even more pervert than c*base is/was, calling Boards such as -> In Living Colors <- was horrible.. ;) j/k.

i still don't know if people really like to have to type 's','o' and whatever else .. instead of using the mouse. also make sure to have an eye on the browser specific stuff.. javascript in IE != javascript in Opera ;) ..and not to talk about the System Issues.. but anyway, a result will help.

Regards,

(M)
2002-11-05 22:17
Jucke

Everything today is so effective, especially when it comes to computer communication, and on our way there we lost alot of the soul. Where did the SOUL go? Didnt we forget something important along the way? I believe we need to rewind a bit to be able to go further. What I lack today in this cold Networld is a place with a personal atmosphere. A feeling of exclusiveness, privacy. Ten years ago i would call a telephone number in Brooklyn NY and end up in Sorceress home in her board Mystic Cavern. It gave me the feeling of actually being someplace. (and it became so real Antichrist is still lost in that cavern;) What im trying to say is that all great c64 boards were visionary places where every little detail was created to bring out a certain impression or atmosphere. All in one creating a FEEL.

A emulation of a c64 bbs system properly shaped by board regulars and sysops would convince any c64 scener and make them want to be there. Including myself. This is important stuff and must be done the right way. There is no room for compromise anymore.

Now, if I wanted to connect to a c64 board it would feel very stupid and lame to use a Joystick, right? A keyboard would be the natural choice. I dont know about you guys, but in my world a mouse is good for drawing, but not for communicating.

just my latenite round of views..
2002-11-05 22:41
RaveGuru

Stiff HTML links, boring HTML forms, JPG graphics, Point, Click. It all stinks to me. I'm 101% for a BBS that looks, feels and smells like a BBS. I once made a full fledged C64 terminal proggy for PC (never got released for some reasons) and I know I can do something similar again. Please persue me! :)
2002-11-05 22:43
RaveGuru

PS. Yes, I even reverse-engineered the good ole' Punter Protocol ;)

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
DuncanTwain
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Mason/Unicess
Magic/Nah-Kolor
kbs/Pht/Lxt