Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C*Base like webbs
2002-11-05 10:00
zyruz
Account closed

C*Base like webbs

Hi mates,

you probably have heard of the web-bbs, me,Jazzcat,Uzzy,Jucke,Macx and Taper is working on.. Now, we somehow got a major problem.

while Jazzcat,Macx,Jucke and Taper wants to have a real C*Base Emulation, including Key Events (means no mouse clicks etc) and stuff, wich means that we have to use Javascript, me and Uzzy will keep the board core PHP without any Javascript, just like Spankerz Heaven was (yep: i know it was made in Perl.. ).

So i'd like to knnow, what counts more.. having a real c*base clone with almost allfunktion, wich probably will have serious Browser and Os problems since it is build with Javascript/PHP, or just the way like SH used to be.. just with heaps of c/g graphics and mouse-click ;).

i'd like to know what you think! ..

my humble opinion is, that i dislike the idea of making a almost 100% clone emulation of a c64 c*base bbs ... and i couldn't believe that it also will emulate the feelings, you once has got, when you called a c-64 BBS... but anyway, i am open for everthing.

my 2Eurocent.

(M)

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-01-06 08:41
The Communist

The good times are over ! There will be never ever that much fun and agression on the boards than app. ten years back.

Who is nowdays elite anyways ? Someone who released 30 PD games jewel trained ?

NiM: Another good C*Base BBS back then was Channel 0,
Action+Empire HQ.

Nowdays I miss sometimes the fun I had with some of those who still hang around, but as stated before, the feeling is gone and won't be reproduceable.

Rough: Adam Du alter Sack, schulde Dir noch nen Tape, denke
aber, dass du es nicht zurück haben willst. (Nach
zwölf Jahren. Mein Gott, wie die Zeit vergeht.)
Immer noch nen Flat vorm Kopp ? :)
Hoffe, dass es Dir gut geht und Du die Schickeria-
preise in München zahlen kannst. CU
2003-01-06 13:11
Shokray
Account closed

Quote: The good times are over ! There will be never ever that much fun and agression on the boards than app. ten years back.

Who is nowdays elite anyways ? Someone who released 30 PD games jewel trained ?

NiM: Another good C*Base BBS back then was Channel 0,
Action+Empire HQ.

Nowdays I miss sometimes the fun I had with some of those who still hang around, but as stated before, the feeling is gone and won't be reproduceable.

Rough: Adam Du alter Sack, schulde Dir noch nen Tape, denke
aber, dass du es nicht zurück haben willst. (Nach
zwölf Jahren. Mein Gott, wie die Zeit vergeht.)
Immer noch nen Flat vorm Kopp ? :)
Hoffe, dass es Dir gut geht und Du die Schickeria-
preise in München zahlen kannst. CU

thanks for sharing my thoughts concerning the whole retrostuff,old_bbs_feelings,elite and whatever else talk. ;)
2003-02-20 01:04
Magius
Account closed

All this BBS nostalgia has me wondering: Does anybody have links to C64 BBS scene web sites? I'm looking for histories on old boards, screen shots, text logs, graphics, old BBS demos/intros, etc. Yup, I know about the C64 BBS archive, but that's just a collection of BBS programs.

There's quite a lot about the old PC BBS scene but not much about the C64. I'd love to learn more about the old long scene BBSs I could never call because of the long distance charges. All I knew about them was in cracktros.

--Magius--
2003-02-22 10:45
Rough
Account closed

Jazzcat: and when someone else is already online on the emulated bbs you should hear a digitized beep-beep-beep busy tone, in bad quality like calling via mci or blue boxing. ;) actually this leads to a problem. far more people will try to access this site than even the most visited bbs back then, so users will hardly get connection. 8(

Communist: Frisurentechnisch hab ich die letzten zehn Jahre so einiges auf meinem Kopf rumgetragen, ausser Spikes und Vokuhila ;) Ich hör mir hin und wieder noch so'n tape von dir an, New Model Army, Cure und so sind da drauf, die Rückseite mit Smiths hab ich damals leider überspielt. grmpfxl. welches tape hast du denn von mir? übrigens leiste ich mir eine luxuswohnung mit fussbodenheizung und hausmeisterservice. schöne grüße in den norden aus dem dekadenten bayern.
2003-02-22 10:49
Rough
Account closed

Quote: All this BBS nostalgia has me wondering: Does anybody have links to C64 BBS scene web sites? I'm looking for histories on old boards, screen shots, text logs, graphics, old BBS demos/intros, etc. Yup, I know about the C64 BBS archive, but that's just a collection of BBS programs.

There's quite a lot about the old PC BBS scene but not much about the C64. I'd love to learn more about the old long scene BBSs I could never call because of the long distance charges. All I knew about them was in cracktros.

--Magius--

a few years ago i uploaded some lores bbs gfx onto Gangsta's Paradise, they should be in dirs like F4CG, Chromance, 2nd Dimension, cant remember exactly
2003-02-23 13:38
LordNikon

are there any news about the bbs? i want call it ;)
2003-03-18 11:54
dalezy

to answer on the original question, i wouldn't have any problems with javascript. in fact it's a common thing these days and i'm prolly not paranoid enough to turn it off.

i never called a c*base board, as i never owned a modem for my c64; guess i just belong to the people that would just be interested in what it looks and acts like.
2003-03-18 12:58
Twoflower

Hey, you folks...

Don't know if you have noticed, but why go for a standard Java-scripted Web-BBS with C/G graphics when there suddenly is a possibility to do the thing for real? Unless you didn't know, Adam Dunkels (aka. Trident/Active) have made the communication between the C-64 and the net less a program with his new uIP-stack and Ethernet-cart. With some help from some gurus of respective area there would be easy to enable C-Base to communicate with the net. People which should be contacted to enable this would probably be Tao and Trident for writing/adapting the protocol to C-Base and to adapt a terminalprogram to work with the modded C-Base.

To sum it up; much of the work on this is allready completed with Tridents solution. Why not use it to create a REAL C-64 BBS, communicating through the web? What do you folks think?
2003-03-18 18:33
Derision

I like it. Shouldn't be too hard to impliment, either. I remember that certain versions of Image had some kind of internet email function, so one could assume it can be done with C*Base. And I know that Pegasus/RPG was working on some kind of C64 server system, I believe using the ethernet cart. I'm not entirely sure how it was to be implimented... but it could definitely be interesting.
2003-03-18 19:02
CyberBrain
Administrator

This idea even starts sounding interesting to me!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sixx
grasstust/Hoaxers
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Fungus/Nostalgia
skull
jmin