Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > 25th Anniversary of C64 with Jack Tramiel
2007-11-07 19:44
Oswald

25th Anniversary of C64 with Jack Tramiel

(lifted from lemon, written by Brian Bagnall)

Last week I received a call from Karen Tucker, who is organizing the December 10th appearance of Jack Tramiel at the Computer History Museum in California. The event will include key people from Apple, IBM, and Amiga (see below). When writing the book "On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" I tried getting an interview with Jack by calling him almost a dozen times, writing several letters to him, and getting his son Leonard to convince him - everything short of showing up at his ranch and demanding an interview. I'm in awe that Karen has been able to make this happen. Apparently she and Leonard convinced Jack that it was important for him to talk about his experiences before it was too late.

Karen wanted me to pass on some information. Basically Jack is done with the confrontational period of his life where he had to be hard nosed in order to run a company in a cutthroat industry. He's now a retired grandfather who spends most of his time traveling with his family. Karen wants Jack to feel welcome, where everyone in the audience can listen to his history with an open mind. Hopefully if he feels welcome at the museum he will participate in other events and we can eventually piece together his experiences in the early computer industry. Karen knows that most people will be receptive to Jack, but she was a little worried that a few might decide to throw his kind gesture back in his face by confronting him. If you know of anyone who plans to do this, please discourage them from attending.

From what I could gather, this is in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the C64. There will first be a one-on-one interview with Jack moderated by John Markoff of the NY Times. After that, Steve Wozniak (Apple II), Bill Lowe (IBM PC) and Adam Chawniac (Amiga) will take to the stage for more discussion. The discussions will probably focus on Commodore, though it's possible his Atari history will be included. Everyone is welcome and if you aren't in the area there will be a video webcast of the event available on their website. This promises to be a great event, and I hope to see you there!

More information should be available soon at:
http://www.computerhistory.org/events/
2007-11-08 00:12
chancer

what of chuck peddle ? is he still about..

people like him and Steve Wozniak I have time for.. it's like people go on about apple blah blah, and just mention jobs all the time.

I'm sure jack has some interesting stories but he was more the money man of the thing?
2007-11-08 06:08
Motion
Account closed

I've got a problem with STEVE WOZNIAK. He seems like a bullshitter, just like STEVE JOBS. Reading ON THE EDGE, was an eye-opener. I've got him on an audio file from the BBC, stating that he and CAPTAIN CRUNCH made a design for the first modem in the late 70's, and that no one had done the same for at least 12 years or so. Is he crazy?

What was Commodore doing with modems and Compunet, huh? Jeez!
2007-11-08 06:22
Motion
Account closed

I've got a problem with STEVE WOZNIAK. He seems like a bullshitter, just like STEVE JOBS. Reading ON THE EDGE, was an eye-opener. I've got him on an audio file from the BBC, stating that he and CAPTAIN CRUNCH made a design for the first modem in the late 70's, and that no one had done the same for at least 12 years or so. Is he crazy?

What was Commodore doing with modems and Compunet, huh? Jeez!
2007-11-08 07:13
Trazan

Good thread in a forum for Sceners...
2007-11-08 13:07
T.M.R
Account closed

Trazan: file under "history of computing", sub-heading "stuff that made the scene possible in the first place" perhaps? =-)
2007-11-09 17:41
Burglar

Quote: Good thread in a forum for Sceners...

troll! ;)
2007-11-09 18:09
Oswald

Quote: Good thread in a forum for Sceners...

you should know your history, and pay some respect perhaps.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
JEZ
Drees
Tchad/Jam
REBEL 1/HF
MaD ][/Starship
Freeze/Blazon