Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > How alive REALLY is the english c64 demoscene?
2008-08-20 01:53
Conrad

How alive REALLY is the english c64 demoscene?

I'm suspicious you know, and it's been on my mind for a long time. Apparently there's only ONE (multi-platform) demoparty left in england and that is Sundown 2008, but my argument is that it's too far down on the south coast, almost near bloody Cornwall!

Seeing this makes me wonder... is the english c64 demoscene really dead? There is only a minority I know that are in the north area (some which aren't actually in the scene, but are at least c64 enthusiasts) and that isn't really enough to start another proper demoparty in a central location where anyone around the island can have more chance of attending. Life seems hard. Traveling to the core c64 countries isn't always possible for some either, me for one... how much I love to go to parties like X, Silesia and other c64 only parties, but with no car and little money, not a chance!

I know England wasn't a huge c64 demoscene-oriented country in the first place (dam speccys!), but having a c64-only party there could revive some of the unknown talents and maybe bring back some of the old ones. I'm certain there's bound to be many not communicating with us right now and thinking the same.

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-08-20 14:22
Skate

...and I miss Diana.
2008-08-20 14:32
Stan
Account closed

Quote: I miss Deek...

oops, stan beat me to it!

Again - one is inclined to say.
2008-08-20 14:52
Linus

Had a chat with Deek and there is no way to convince him to make a comeback at all :/

For those who are interested ... http://www.myspace.com/thefiveaces is what he is doing these days.

2008-08-20 18:25
FATFrost
Account closed

Well, i don't know if i'm staying in UK or spain now, maybe i move to bardbados soon, but i will always make stuff for the scene. c64 scene is in my heart, c64 demo scene is the reason why i love computers and hardcore effects. I think there's lots of uk sceners who could produce cool stuff, but we're too busy boozing in uk to code... maybe if we adopted a swedish/dutch/danish/norwegian lifestyle, then we'd end up making some demos and games again.

COME ON!!!

burp!
2008-08-20 19:24
Conrad

@Linus, thanks for asking him :) Deek was one of my favorite musicians back then, glad he's still in the music business in some other form.

@Fatfrost: heheh! ain't boozing a scener's typical routine anyway? :D
Seriously though, it's not as much to do with actually producing stuff, but more to do with where we're actually located. We need to meet sceners as easy as possible to keep the motivation going rather than just email/irc all the time.
2008-08-20 20:50
FATFrost
Account closed

@crd, yes, we could do the c64 scener relay, where we send one scener to meet another scener for a night or weekend visit, then the scener who received the scener can travel to meet the next one...and so on, but not twr.....lol,

2008-08-20 23:20
Deev

I think there's more UK stuff going on than there was a few years ago. At one stage I think it was pretty much me and TMR...maybe a couple more Cosine members (plus good ol' Richard! :) ).

I've been busy with various non-c64 things lately, but still have new scene stuff on its way (I also have lots of gfx ideas, but I just need to finish off some existing commitments first!)

I intend to get more into things again sometime soon.

Like you say though, the UK scene was never that hot anyway, probably the high amount of tape only users back in the day didn't help. The large games industry was perhaps also a distraction for many people.
2008-08-21 05:08
Bizzmo
Account closed

Quote: I miss Bizzmo..

I'm still here! And as soon as I get my "real-life" and "real-job" under control I'll be a little more active!

(Of course if you want to fast-track this, find someone to pay me to pixel!)
2008-08-21 05:10
Bizzmo
Account closed

Quote: Had a chat with Deek and there is no way to convince him to make a comeback at all :/

For those who are interested ... http://www.myspace.com/thefiveaces is what he is doing these days.

I've tried as well. He's turned away from "electronic" music and become a bit of a purist (by his own admission). Shame - it's our loss. Go to see he's still doing music though!
2008-08-21 17:53
Soren

/me is looking forward to having Bizzmo back!

And yes, would be neat if Deek would come back aswell ;-)

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
csabanw
aegis/ascraeus/r3turn
Airwolf/F4CG
Twilight/Excess/Arcade
Asphodel