Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > REAL THING or Emulator?
2003-09-16 10:18
deizi
Account closed

REAL THING or Emulator?

do you have/or use The Real Thing instead of an emulator? ...and what's your opinion about emulators? (they don't work properly). i'm not really using them anymore. because i have the real thing. :)

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-09-18 06:29
Puterman
Account closed

Quote: but then, does it make ANY sense when everybody brings his laptop to a c64 party because it's a lot easier to take with you and because of the great emulator?

i admit, and with me a lot of ppl, that the emulator is a very handy tool...but i still prefer my c64 becuase it gives me 'that'feeling ;-)

Maybe you should try visiting some serious parties? I might have seen one or two people with laptops on C-64 parties...
2003-09-18 07:46
CreaMD

Quote: Maybe you should try visiting some serious parties? I might have seen one or two people with laptops on C-64 parties...

Quite funny, that he already forgot he's been at Forever Party twice. Speccy, Atari and Commodore64 machines every year in middle of the march, since 2000. Unfortunatelly speccy organisers and atari organisers always bring their PC. Probably because they think they couldn't organise the party without them ;-). Gasman / Raww Arse (Speccy), who came from England brought his laptop too, but I wouldn't complain coz he is one of those people who don't need to prove their 8bit fanatism ;-)). http://www.zxdemo.org
2003-09-18 08:31
deizi
Account closed

i'd bring my C64 (+1541-II diskdrive) to the party. (haven't been any yet, though).
2003-09-18 08:36
Yodelking

ARE YOU TOTALLY LAMA? YOU ALL TURNED INTO EMULAMERS?!? ;)

No, honestly, I use emulator for everything nowadays. I have no room for having my c-64 connected at the moment. (but I'm planning to mount one on the wall as decoration). I have a Quattro HardSID, so the sound gets accurate both in Sidplay2, Vice and CCS64.
2003-09-18 09:06
yago

My favorite Flame-Theme :-)

I abuse Emulators for testing and debugging, but NOT for designing.
That means that I assemble and "wire" Things on a LinuxBox, but once the programs do as expected, the programs get tested and designed on the Real Thing.
The colors are still wrong on PC, no smooth movements etc pp
The Emulators do an good overall Job, but the fine Things, which make the C64 (and C64-Demos) unique, are not
reproduced by crappy PCs.

My Opinion concerning VIEWING Demos is still ANTI-Emulator.
The most important Audience are the Party-People, and if I ever catch an Organizer who shows my Entry with an Emulator...

2003-09-18 09:13
algorithm

Quote: My favorite Flame-Theme :-)

I abuse Emulators for testing and debugging, but NOT for designing.
That means that I assemble and "wire" Things on a LinuxBox, but once the programs do as expected, the programs get tested and designed on the Real Thing.
The colors are still wrong on PC, no smooth movements etc pp
The Emulators do an good overall Job, but the fine Things, which make the C64 (and C64-Demos) unique, are not
reproduced by crappy PCs.

My Opinion concerning VIEWING Demos is still ANTI-Emulator.
The most important Audience are the Party-People, and if I ever catch an Organizer who shows my Entry with an Emulator...

I partly agree with you, but only if running the emulator via PC monitor. The result will indeed be non silky smooth scrolling and unblended GFX (even Pal mode does not look the same)

However connect your PC to a television via Pal converter or TV out and you will indeed get true silky smooth scrolling and proper looking colors and gfx
2003-09-18 11:31
yago

Quote: I partly agree with you, but only if running the emulator via PC monitor. The result will indeed be non silky smooth scrolling and unblended GFX (even Pal mode does not look the same)

However connect your PC to a television via Pal converter or TV out and you will indeed get true silky smooth scrolling and proper looking colors and gfx

I did connect my PC via TV-Out to a 1784 Monitor.
The first Time, it was just disastrous picture-quality, and still flickering.

Second Time, the 1784 tilted and my graphic card tilted, too.
I must have connected them wrong :-(

2003-09-18 11:54
algorithm

Quote: I did connect my PC via TV-Out to a 1784 Monitor.
The first Time, it was just disastrous picture-quality, and still flickering.

Second Time, the 1784 tilted and my graphic card tilted, too.
I must have connected them wrong :-(

I initially had a problem with image quality using TV out and this was due to the resolution of the emulated display (eg 400x300, 768x576 etc) compared with the resolution of the TV out (640x480, ...)
I found that certain combinations resulted in uneven size scanlines (1 line would seem ok, the other would seem twice as thick etc)

This is possibly due to the internal up/down scaling via the TVout

It really depends on experimentation combined with the graphic card or/and TV

Using the Geforce 4 mx440 chipset, I have found that setting WinVICE to 800x600 resolution, double size display combined with a TVout resolution of 800x600 resulted in a near perfect display with no glitches and ultra smooth scrolling, just like the original C64 (although I did have to experiment a little bit on the saturation controls)

Funnily enough, setting WinVice to 400x300 non double size, would seem identical to 800x600 double size, but regarding the Tvout component, there were uneven lines..
2003-09-18 13:06
dalezy

if it wasn't for the bad sid-emulation, i would probably use an emulator only.
but then again, i like my 4 c64s, 2 of them are constantly in use, as i also play out with them. plus, the feeling of using a c64 is different, but that wasn't the question right now. =)
2003-09-18 14:25
St0fF

Emu 4 x-coding and testing, except for floppy stuff; real thing 4 da real thing!!!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
stephan-a
Guests online: 111
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)