Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C64 run with a PC (Audio, Video, MIDI, Transfer)
2010-05-06 19:41
Intensity
Account closed

C64 run with a PC (Audio, Video, MIDI, Transfer)

Ok guys, now I need a complete tutorial how I run a Commodore 64 II with a Floppy I with a PC.

My actual PC set up looks like this :

2 x Monitor plugs (1 x Graphic Card, 1 x Standard)
1 x Terratec Phase 26 USB Studio Soundcard (a few Line IN, Line OUT, Opt IN & OUT, COAX IN & OUT)
1 x FLAT LCD Monitor (2 x USB, unfortunatley no Cinch Inputs or Outputs)
1 x USB Hub, along with the usual USB plugs on the PC

What I want is in a comfortable way (Please mention the according Windows 7 Software and Hardware/Cables I need) :

1. To transfer disks from Floppy C64 To PC
2. To connect the C64 to the PC Monitor/PC, thus I can run the whole without a TV)
3. To connect the C64 via MIDI to the PC (I wonder which Music or general Software can handle the C64 MIDI Stuff, thus I can perform live with a C64 on stage for example either with a PC or a laptop)

I am willing to plan in any costs, just post the ebay/shop links, or offers how much you want if you can build me such a cable.

For years I have unplugged my C64. It just lays around in a cupboard, while I compose my SID with WINVICE. I definatley want to change that, not only because I plan to perform live with a C64 whereever I will have the possibilities for.

Many thanks for your help and guidances in advance. Sorry to ask for that MIDI Stuff again, even it has been discussed before in CSDB, still I could not find the answers I needed. Please help! :*

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-05-09 10:44
wacek

For (3) wouldn't it be best to go HardSID, whichever option?
2010-05-11 03:46
SIDWAVE
Account closed

i am not happy with my hardsid 4u, 2 issues bug me:

1. it plays all tunes too fast, because of hardware design
2. the VST is hopeless as a sound creation tool. almost any native c64 editor would be better.

i hardly ever use it. for those reasons..
2010-05-11 15:02
goto80

Afaik, very few C64-programs are any good for live purposes. But you are just going to use the SID-chip and sequence/control it with the PC via MIDI, it seems? Consider if it's worth all the money/effort/weight to do it this way. Diskdrives and original PSUs can break your back :) Hardsid and Midibox64 are two alternatives.

Still, I've happily broken my back for years so I know what you mean. If you decide to do it this way, M64 is probably the phattest MIDI-slave program ever, for any hardware. >> http://gallium.prg.dtu.dk/anyware/

Edit: oh yeah, and, ehmmm, http://www.8bitventures.com/mssiah
2010-05-11 15:35
Intensity
Account closed

Thx for your comments guys.

And a lot of thx to Goto80 for replying to this message, because it is right you, whom I wonder about, how you perform live with a c64. I saw once a live performance video from you, where you did that as far as I remember.

So how do you do it, my friend?

Generally a HardSID would be enough, then again which software would collaborate in a good way with Software like Record+Reason? Unlike Cubase I can't connect any outlaying devices to the software, like synths, drumcomputers, midi sequencer lines controlled by an outside device etc.

How do all the ppl perform with original C64 Hardware live on stage? Which software do they use (or do you, dear Goto80), which hardware, etc. etc.? How do they sync it with their PC modded synths, drums, etc.?

I really wonder about it, since I imagine if you want to perform live on stage with a C64, it's will be only worth for getting bleep blop sounds together with minimalistic PC Sounds, anything more complex wouldn't be possible as such, or am I wrong? I wonder how to Sync C64 Music To PC Music, to tell it simple.

Kudos for your help, I love you all! :***** A Bumfuck ticket to Christopher Stinky Feetsex Day for you all! HAH! :D
2010-05-11 16:12
null
Account closed

Quote:
Generally a HardSID would be enough, then again which software would collaborate in a good way with Software like Record+Reason? Unlike Cubase I can't connect any outlaying devices to the software, like synths, drumcomputers, midi sequencer lines controlled by an outside device etc.

If you have Ableton Live, you can rewire Reason into it, and use Ableton Live as a master, having it handle the other devices and Reason.
------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2010-05-11 16:22
wacek

Yeah, generally Ableton Live is teh shit as for live performing. Highly recommended! :)
2010-05-11 16:27
Frantic

M64 is nice for such purposes, yep. I can recommend that!

Keep in mind that there is a bug in the flow chart in the M64 manual, in case you ever get into some seriously advanced sound programming in M64 (else you probably won't notice).
2010-05-11 23:58
goto80

I used JCH for live purposes for a long time. I did manage to arrange songs live and do some instrument tweeking. Once I even did a 40-minute show with one JCH-song and no effects. But it's pretty shitty as a live-tool, obviously. I synchronized it manually, like all real men do. 125.31 BPM FTW!

I've also used a strange unreleased DJ-software where you can set the tempo independent from the raster, Cynthcart, sample-triggers, Kawasaki Rhythm Rocker, etc. Now I use a program called Defmon which is not really publicly available either, sorry. Hardstupid noise-example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhn-yDvVYc8

Edit: I also run Ableton and wire the C64 through there so I can sample&loop parts, add effects, etc. I also recently started to run Renoise synchronized with Ableton, but didn't really find a good n' stable flow there yet.
2010-05-12 03:09
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Inty: well what Knoeki wrote can work.
if you figure out the bpm of the c64 sample, then rewire to reason with this same bpm, youre in sync.

he dont use ableton, but its the same JT does he told me.
get bpm->sync to pc sequencer->go
2010-05-12 03:12
null
Account closed

If you rewire Reason into ableton, Ableton becomes a master and gets to decide the BPM.

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Jammer
kbs/Pht/Lxt
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
psych
Guests online: 60